Answering Posted questions in the other forum here.

Make suggestion to the moderators and admins of this site.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Answering Posted questions in the other forum here.

Unread post by MJuric »

Just a suggestion, maybe a bit non ethical, but what about looking at posted questions in the other two forums and answering them here with a link to the answer here?

I wouldn't do that if the powers that be here are not comfortable with it but I think we will see a WHOLE lot of unanswered questions over there in the coming months that could potentially drive a lot of traffic here.

Not only does it drive traffic here but probably builds up the content quicker, snowball effect.
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Answering Posted questions in the other forum here.

Unread post by matt »

MJuric wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:05 pm Just a suggestion, maybe a bit non ethical, but what about looking at posted questions in the other two forums and answering them here with a link to the answer here?

I wouldn't do that if the powers that be here are not comfortable with it but I think we will see a WHOLE lot of unanswered questions over there in the coming months that could potentially drive a lot of traffic here.

Not only does it drive traffic here but probably builds up the content quicker, snowball effect.
You know, this is something I was also thinking about. I don't think they have a case as long as we don't wholesale copy stuff. Nobody has patented the question mark, after all. I think if it's a cool question, and especially if it's not answered, or they arrived at the wrong answer, there isn't any reason we can't take a shot at it here too. Might run into a problem if they have a model attached. Although I did attach a model from over there myself, didn't I. So shoot me.

tl;dr Yeah, why not?
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

matt wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:19 pm
MJuric wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:05 pm Just a suggestion, maybe a bit non ethical, but what about looking at posted questions in the other two forums and answering them here with a link to the answer here?

You know, this is something I was also thinking about. I don't think they have a case as long as we don't wholesale copy stuff. Nobody has patented the question mark, after all. I think if it's a cool question, and especially if it's not answered, or they arrived at the wrong answer, there isn't any reason we can't take a shot at it here too. Might run into a problem if they have a model attached. Although I did attach a model from over there myself, didn't I. So shoot me.

tl;dr Yeah, why not?
The only thing(s) I can think of happening is that they ban someone or it becomes a reputation issue. As far as models, download them and re-attach them.

I don't think any of that crosses the line into any liability issues only reputation issues which I though we should get insight on.
matt

Unread post by matt »

MJuric wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:23 pm
The only thing(s) I can think of happening is that they ban someone or it becomes a reputation issue. As far as models, download them and re-attach them.

I don't think any of that crosses the line into any liability issues only reputation issues which I though we should get insight on.
Well, the only problem, and we've actually run into this already (we had a bit of a scandal here where we had to delete a bunch of posts) is due to the Terms Of Use over at the other place.

http://cadforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t ... 63243959fe

In short, you can't just copy and paste material from over there to over here. (implied threat of litigation). I would assume that would include attachments, unless, I'd guess, if the OP is a member at both places. As an author that gets ripped off a lot, I'm kind of sensitive to rules of this sort, even when it's inconvenient. So if there's some way to avoid a straight copy, that would be cool (like change the name then insert it into another part and break the links...) Not that I've thought about it, just sayin...
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

matt wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:34 pm

Well, the only problem, and we've actually run into this already (we had a bit of a scandal here where we had to delete a bunch of posts) is due to the Terms Of Use over at the other place.

In short, you can't just copy and paste material from over there to over here. (implied threat of litigation). I would assume that would include attachments, unless, I'd guess, if the OP is a member at both places. As an author that gets ripped off a lot, I'm kind of sensitive to rules of this sort, even when it's inconvenient. So if there's some way to avoid a straight copy, that would be cool (like change the name then insert it into another part and break the links...) Not that I've thought about it, just sayin...
Speaking of which, could we persuade @Glenn Schroeder to repost his awesome FAQs over here? IMHO it would be both legal and ethical since he is the author.

Heh, I'm even willing to help as long as I don't actually post the material myself. I can copy-paste them all out and email the text to him as a Word doc. :mrgreen:
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

I would think we could just start a new thread with a similar title, and some description of the problem and then answer it.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

mike miller wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:40 pm

Speaking of which, could we persuade @Glenn Schroeder to repost his awesome FAQs over here? IMHO it would be both legal and ethical since he is the author.

Heh, I'm even willing to help as long as I don't actually post the material myself. I can copy-paste them all out and email the text to him as a Word doc. :mrgreen:
The section is already set up at viewforum.php?f=17&sid=2ecc2dab77f25a8a3cb688ae3c146730, and I have one FAQ there. I ran into a limitation in this platform that only allows 3 attachments, which includes screenshots, and quite a few of them have more than that. @matt is working on fixing that, and then I plan to add more.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
matt

Unread post by matt »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:14 pm

The section is already set up at viewforum.php?f=17&sid=2ecc2dab77f25a8a3cb688ae3c146730, and I have one FAQ there. I ran into a limitation in this platform that only allows 3 attachments, which includes screenshots, and quite a few of them have more than that. @matt is working on fixing that, and then I plan to add more.
I changed that limit. I changed it to 10, bu I should have asked how many do you need?
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

matt wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:29 pm
Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:14 pm

The section is already set up at https://www.cadforum.net/viewforum.php? ... ae3c146730, and I have one FAQ there. I ran into a limitation in this platform that only allows 3 attachments, which includes screenshots, and quite a few of them have more than that. @matt is working on fixing that, and then I plan to add more.
I changed that limit. I changed it to 10, bu I should have asked how many do you need?
https://forum.solidworks.com/community/ ... g-template has 11, but I can probably eliminate one or two.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"