Usage Suggestions

Make suggestion to the moderators and admins of this site.
matt
Answers: 18

Usage Suggestions

Unread post by matt »

One thing you can do to read the new topics is to use the Active Topics, and then save a bookmark to that. That will always get you to the new stuff regardless of how it's organized in the list of forums/topics/categories.

Also, you can edit your profile to include a lot of info including an avatar, some other personal info if you choose to disclose, software version, hardware config, company you work for, what kind of design you do, etc....
solidworksforumreplacement.jpg
And you can put images and other attachments in using the Attachments tab at the bottom of the window. Plus, you can create polls. And assign friends and foes (in other people's profile pages), and send private messages. Plus, you can set up a signature that shows up at the bottom of each post. Great stuff!
solidworksforumreplacement3.jpg
I'm part of two other forums that use this software, so I know it from the user end, but I'm just learning it from the admin end.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: Usage Suggestions

Unread post by jcapriotti »

That 6kb avatar limit is a bit......limiting.
Jason
matt

Unread post by matt »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:46 pm That 6kb avatar limit is a bit......limiting.
Huh, that doesn't sound right. Let me look into that.

Thanks for coming, Jason.
matt

Unread post by matt »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:46 pm That 6kb avatar limit is a bit......limiting.
Ok, that was just a default. I jacked it up to 100kb. If that's not enough, let me know.
jcapriotti

Lol....I just reduced my SolidWorks forum pic jpeg quality to get it under 6kb.....thanks
Jason
Merovingien

Unread post by Merovingien »

me too, i reduced mine, and decrease color depth (with irfanview, free picture editor-viewer)
jcapriotti

Merovingien wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:09 am me too, i reduced mine, and decrease color depth (with irfanview, free picture editor-viewer)
I use Affinity Photo, not free but competes with Photoshop for a fraction of the cost (On sale currently for $25) and the license is perpetual. It does have the learning curve of PS but has a cleaner UI, IMO.
Jason
matt

Unread post by matt »

Irfanview is also what I use. Great tool. For more complex stuff I use Gimp, also free. That does most of what Photoshop will do. I use Snagit for screen captures and other graphics tasks.