Mail Setup using SMTP

Installation, PDM, standards, training, support, part numbering, rev schemes, etc.
AlexB
Answers: 22

Mail Setup using SMTP

Unread post by AlexB »

Is anyone using the PDM message system set up with SMTP mail settings to get the messages to their outlook inbox instead of the PDM inbox? I'd prefer to move to outlook for our messages to simplify things for our users but I can't find good documentation on the process. Everything that I happen to find looks to be rather outdated now.

If you do have this set up, do you have a third-party software package installed similar to the EmailRelay open-source package that is in some articles from VARs?

On the other hand, do you prefer the built in message system and inbox with PDM?
by Diaval » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:41 pm
It's possible that it may not work to directly connect to an Office 365 server. Office 365 uses STARTTLS encryption for authentication and I don't think PDM is setup for that.

You might check out KB article S-077192 that details how to use a third party tool called schannel to add TLS encryption (not sure if it also can be used for STARTTLS).

If you end up needing to go the relay route, KB S061136 details how to setup emailrelay for PDM.
Go to full post
bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: Mail Setup using SMTP

Unread post by bnemec »

We set up SMTP from the beginning, users didn't need yet another place to go for communications.

I don't know anything about using third part software for this. Aside from the occasional and seemingly random salvo of duplicate identical notification emails, it works fine.
image.png
image.png

I think you just need the server IP or URL then need to allow permissions for the "From Address" so your email server doesn't block the messages, in our case that required a call to our IT who handles the our email server.
AlexB

Unread post by AlexB »

bnemec wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:20 am We set up SMTP from the beginning, users didn't need yet another place to go for communications.
I'm right there with you on limiting the number of places people have to go to check on things.

Yeah, I'm working with our IT department right now with determining the correct office365 settings for the mailbox that will send these messages. I'm getting various errors related to TLS/SSL which I'm hoping can be remedied without the need for a third-party application.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

AlexB wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:43 am I'm right there with you on limiting the number of places people have to go to check on things.

Yeah, I'm working with our IT department right now with determining the correct office365 settings for the mailbox that will send these messages. I'm getting various errors related to TLS/SSL which I'm hoping can be remedied without the need for a third-party application.
call your VAR, this should be a basic thing they can help with. I've had a habit of forgetting things I haven't needed to use frequently.
Diaval
Answers: 7

Unread post by Diaval »

It's possible that it may not work to directly connect to an Office 365 server. Office 365 uses STARTTLS encryption for authentication and I don't think PDM is setup for that.

You might check out KB article S-077192 that details how to use a third party tool called schannel to add TLS encryption (not sure if it also can be used for STARTTLS).

If you end up needing to go the relay route, KB S061136 details how to setup emailrelay for PDM.
-- To espouse elucidation we must eschew obfuscation
AlexB

Unread post by AlexB »

Diaval wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:41 pm It's possible that it may not work to directly connect to an Office 365 server. Office 365 uses STARTTLS encryption for authentication and I don't think PDM is setup for that.

I ended up using Email Relay (sourceforge open source project) and installed it on one of our servers. Everything works correctly now. Thanks for helping verify this.