Boneheaded Mistake

Machines, materials, processes, software, support structure, etc...
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Boneheaded Mistake

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

So, one of my print jobs got kludged and ended up pulling a pretty large filament glob up into the area between the fan and the hot end. It didn't damage anything, but I needed to heat up the hot end to get all the plastic off.

I was busily scraping away the plastic with a small screwdriver and some tweezers....So, I shorted the heater and the thermistor. Heater's fine, nothing to break there, but the thermistor is fried.

I wasn't sure the extent of the damage, but after quite a few hours of denial and error I determined that it fried both the LCD and the main board along with the thermistor. But what's really interesting is that it's one of these LCD's that has both the touchscreen and knob. It only fried the touchscreen functionality.

All in all cost me about $80, but mostly a hell of a lot of time.

The good news is that once the new thermistor comes in, I think I can get it back up and running and I'll be looking into enabling linear advance. Hey @Frederick_Law, do you use linear advance to address the bulging problem I showed in the other thread viewtopic.php?f=10&t=713?
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Re: Boneheaded Mistake

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Bulge at middle of the cube? Corner? Corner is normal. Material pile up.
Bulge all the way from bottom to top?
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Re: Boneheaded Mistake

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Frederick_Law wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:34 am Bulge at middle of the cube? Corner? Corner is normal. Material pile up.
Bulge all the way from bottom to top?
Yep, all the way from top to bottom. I'm pretty sure it's fixable to some extent using linear advance: