Languages

Make suggestion to the moderators and admins of this site.
matt
Answers: 18

Languages

Unread post by matt »

I know we have people here from around the world for whom English is not a primary language. Would it be of benefit to anyone if we were to add a language pack to the site?

To check out the available languages, go here: https://www.phpbb.com/languages/

Just so you're aware, the only theme I can guarantee will be translated is Prosilver. Some of the other themes may also provide some language packs, but I will have to research that to know which themes give us which languages. It would be nice to narrow it down (from 54 languages) to whatever we really need, hopefully a half dozen or so.

And just to be clear, the site interface will be all that is translated. To translate the actual content, you would have to use Google translate or something like that.

Right now we have British English and American English. I have just added German (Deutsch). To change your language to German, go to the User Control Panel > Board Preferences.
image.png
After the switch, the site looks like this:
image.png
So if you would like to see the site in your own language, please leave a comment with your requested language. I'll also just go ahead and add French, because we've got a fair number of French or French Canadian folks here. And I know we also have Turkish, Hungarian, Indonesian, Indian/Hindi, Swedish, and more folks here. Although I don't see a Hindi language pack, oddly... So just let me know what you'd like to see, and I'll try to make the accommodation.
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Re: Languages

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

It works in the Supernova theme.
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
Lapuo
Answers: 0

Unread post by Lapuo »

English is not my native language , and i believe i pretty much suck at speaking it , but honestly i dont see benefit from language packs
I would like to have option to translate content , because my brain works on 120% while reading it, and even like so i fail to understand it sometimes :D
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

Just my 2cents, but i think we should be fine leaving the interface in english?
If people search using their native language, what is their chance of stumbling here?

Even though English is not my native language (and as someone who learn 3 language since i was kid), I very much prefer to browse and navigate everything in English

Maybe it was different for others, but if we are really implementing it i think try narrow it down to about <10 language?
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Ok, thanks for the input. If someone feels differently in the future, it's easy to add.
I do have some stats on who comes here, which is why French and German were added after US and UK English.
image.png
image.png (4.89 KiB) Viewed 913 times