In case anyone is wondering....
The following chart show the some statistics of this forum

Data capture date: 25-Jul-2021

Number of registered user against time
user1-jul24.png
user2-jul24.png

Number and Percentage of Topics by Board
post-jul25.png
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Number of Registered User

Unread post by matt »

Interesting. It's especially interesting since I have purged a lot of bogus accounts: people who obviously aren't signed up to participate in the topic. If I let all the accounts go through, we'd have more than twice as many, but the extras would all be bogus. Some fourms have around 80% bogus accounts.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

@matt Any other stats like ,number of posts per month, number of replies, number of answers, amount of sarcasm, references to the swamp....stuff like that.
Jason
matt

Unread post by matt »

jcapriotti wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:59 am @matt Any other stats like ,number of posts per month, number of replies, number of answers, amount of sarcasm, references to the swamp....stuff like that.
When you start a new site, there is always a big spike in traffic, then things settle down, and then start building again. Our page views stat has surpassed that initial spike. So the growth we're seeing now is real, it's not just curiosity for a new site. The steady growth in users is further great evidence, and those are real users. If I had wanted to just inflate the numbers, I'd just let the hackers and spammers make as many accounts as they want. I've deleted literally hundreds of accounts, sometimes a dozen a day. I'm getting those settings dialed in so they get through less and less.

How much sarcasm you ask? Just put it this way. WAY more purple than any other site on the internet, aside from maybe a Prince tribute site.

137 posts with SWYM in them, 90 with swymp, 133 with "the other place", and 267 "solidworks forum". Y'all are OBSESSED with "the other place". I go over there every other week, get disoriented immediately, and just come right back where I can find stuff.

There are some stats at the bottom of the Board Index page, like over 10k total posts and 832 total topics. We're gaining steam, too. The off-topic posts are going down as a percentage of total posts, which I consider very positive. I keep trying to promote discussion on good engaging topics, and y'all definitely bring up some stuff that's beyond my ability to contribute.

So I really congratulate all of you for making this place work, not just as a temporary alternative, but as a place with a life and personality of its own. Next step is for the site to be able to support itself. I'm gonna have to do some salesman stuff for that to happen, and I've just got other ways to spend my time at the moment.

So keep it all coming. Suggestions, complaints, questions, philosophical rants, purple screed, even off-topic stuff. Really, love you all!
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

jcapriotti wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:59 am @matt Any other stats like ,number of posts per month, number of replies, number of answers, amount of sarcasm, references to the swamp....stuff like that.
I had added some data showing the percentage and number of topic by board (see waffle chart in original post)...
We are definitely on the right track, about 70% [583] of our topic is about CAD (SOLIDWORKS topics alone made up of 78%[452] of that 70%, which is not surprising since majority of the user here is from SOLIDWORKS forum, followed by CAD agonistic and SOLIDEDGE)

Number of topic per months is abit hard to track, i might need to see whether is there a style that show the topic created date instead of the last reply date

Number of replies and answers is also a bit hard to analyze as it is depending on the topic, some topic will have way more reply while some topic will not have answer...

Amount of sarcasm, well there is no way to effectively track it :P

Reference to swamp, well the reference sort of settle down nowadays, beside some occasionally mention and discussion from what i can see
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: Forum Statistics

Unread post by mike miller »

There would be way better "statistics" if @matt allowed these people to stay....
2021-08-20 16_16_29.jpg
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
matt

Re: Forum Statistics

Unread post by matt »

mike miller wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:25 pm There would be way better "statistics" if @matt allowed these people to stay....

2021-08-20 16_16_29.jpg
Oh, yeah! Instead of ~400 we'd easily have over 1500. I finally got the registration filters working acceptably. Some still get through, but nowhere near the way it was. I know I'm just sabotaging my stats, right? I'd never make it in a real company.

Here's one of my favorites I captured just before deleting the user:
image.png

Isn't it Dr. Phil who says "Winners do things other people aren't willing to do"? No wonder we're such a mess...
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:37 am I had added some data showing the percentage and number of topic by board (see waffle chart in original post)...
We are definitely on the right track, about 70% [583] of our topic is about CAD (SOLIDWORKS topics alone made up of 78%[452] of that 70%, which is not surprising since majority of the user here is from SOLIDWORKS forum, followed by CAD agonistic and SOLIDEDGE)

Number of topic per months is abit hard to track, i might need to see whether is there a style that show the topic created date instead of the last reply date

Number of replies and answers is also a bit hard to analyze as it is depending on the topic, some topic will have way more reply while some topic will not have answer...

Amount of sarcasm, well there is no way to effectively track it :P

Reference to swamp, well the reference sort of settle down nowadays, beside some occasionally mention and discussion from what i can see
Sure there is:
image.png
Though, just because a response is sarcastic doesn't mean it isn't correct or helpful...For example:
image.png