How to delete a block from a part file?

Here we have answers to common questions about SolidWorks. If you want to request or contribute answers, just flag down a moderator.
MCS
Answers: 0

How to delete a block from a part file?

Unread post by MCS »

Working in a part file I edit a sketch and drag a DXF file into the sketch. Solidworks makes the DXF file into Block and imbeds it into the part file.
How do I delete the block from the part file?
by zwei » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:10 pm
I believe you want to delete the block "entirely"?
Have you try deleting the sketch? I believe thee block is embedded in the sketch
(My personal practice is do not import dxf into an existing sketch, always use new sketch)

Edit:
It seem that you need to save and reopen the file after ddelete for it to clear the cache on the block

This seem to be a known issue...
https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... EKOpeLcw2w
Go to full post
JSculley
Answers: 54

Re: How to delete a block from a part file?

Unread post by JSculley »

With the 'Delete' command? Unless I'm misunderstanding what you want to do.
image.png
MCS

Unread post by MCS »

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply. But that's not quite what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the imbedded block.
The command you have shown will delete the block from the sketch but not the part. For example if you edit the <dxf text-6> block and then delete it, then re-drag the original DXF file into the part again, solidworks thinks "oh this block's already imbedded into the file, I know what I will do I will use the imbedded file" and that file is edited. So you can't drag the dxf file in again because an edited version is imbedded into the part file.

This is why I want to remove the imbedded file/block.

You have the same issue with drawings but the Block folder in the feature manager tree lists all the imbedded blocks and you can select the imbedded block and delete it. There is no block folder in the part (not sure if this is a 2021 bug). I do have block folders set to show in the feature manager settings but this only effects drawings.
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

I believe you want to delete the block "entirely"?
Have you try deleting the sketch? I believe thee block is embedded in the sketch
(My personal practice is do not import dxf into an existing sketch, always use new sketch)

Edit:
It seem that you need to save and reopen the file after ddelete for it to clear the cache on the block

This seem to be a known issue...
https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... EKOpeLcw2w
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
MCS

Unread post by MCS »

Yes that's it. The block is only a cash in the sketch. Deleting the sketch solves the issue as does deleting the block then reopening the part.

Thanks