3dconnexion Spacemouse (Pro vs Compact)

Computers, video cards, laptops, mice, spaceballs, network equipment...
zwei
Answers: 18

3dconnexion Spacemouse (Pro vs Compact)

Unread post by zwei »

Since we have all sort of CAD wizards here who use spacemouse, I would like to get some opinion on the spacemouse model, particularly on the Pro and Standard/Compact version...

I understand the pro model have more programmable button but, is the Pro model worth the extra cash?
Last i check, the price difference is about $160 for the wireless model
image.png
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: 3dconnexion Spacemouse (Pro vs Compact)

Unread post by jcapriotti »

I have the Pro/Explorer version, never use any of the buttons though. So the only benefit, IMO, is that it has the built in palm rest which I like slightly better than the standard/compact version. Not sure that's worth the extra $$ though.
Jason
CADNurd
Answers: 0

Unread post by CADNurd »

Whichever one you get, I would advise against getting a wireless one. Think about what might happen if you had to use someone elses solidworks setup in an office somewhere, and it was a big desktop workstation without bluetooth. Once you get used to using one you'll never want to work without it.
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

CADNurd wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:52 pm Whichever one you get, I would advise against getting a wireless one. Think about what might happen if you had to use someone elses solidworks setup in an office somewhere, and it was a big desktop workstation without bluetooth. Once you get used to using one you'll never want to work without it.
The wireless one dint come with a dongle?
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
CADNurd

Unread post by CADNurd »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:11 pm The wireless one dint come with a dongle?
Don't know. I chose the wired one.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I have the SpaceMouse Pro. I don't use all the buttons, but I use Ctrl, Esc, Fit, and Shift often, along with the Alt button, which has been re-programmed as Delete. I also have the #1 button programmed to bring up a number pad so I can enter values without needing to go to the keyboard.

I started out with the standard "hockey puck" one, and would not want to go back.

Unless you'll be using it in multiple locations, and switching it around often, I see no advantage in going wireless with a tool that's stationary.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:39 am Since we have all sort of CAD wizards here who use spacemouse, I would like to get some opinion on the spacemouse model, particularly on the Pro and Standard/Compact version...

I understand the pro model have more programmable button but, is the Pro model worth the extra cash?
Last i check, the price difference is about $160 for the wireless model

image.png
Honestly, I cannot stand the compact version. One of my co-workers had one and never used it. So I tried it out. Without the wrist rest (say that 3 times fast!), I just can't use it.

I use the space mouse pro and love it.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I tried the little one as well, and it was never oriented properly in relation to my hand.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
CADNurd

Unread post by CADNurd »

dpihlaja wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:21 am Honestly, I cannot stand the compact version. One of my co-workers had one and never used it. So I tried it out. Without the wrist rest (say that 3 times fast!), I just can't use it.

I use the space mouse pro and love it.
SPerman wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:46 am I tried the little one as well, and it was never oriented properly in relation to my hand.
I had the same problem; because it's free to move, the compact version is not (by default) SET in one position relative to your wrist. So, you get it dialed-in just right, then it gets moved slightly (on the table) and immediately it just 'feels wrong'. I solved the problem by attaching it to my table with some BluTack.

P.S. - Not trying to say that choosing the Pro version is wrong or anything. I'd just hate to see someone going without a 3D mouse because they think the small one is useless but can't afford the more expensive one.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Back when I was able to do design work the option was a "Compact" or nothing, so I tried it for a while and it's ok but I like buttons. I don't like moving hands to-from-to the keyboard, either on the mice or on the keyboard, not back and forth. So I brought in my own SpaceBall5000 USB so I could have 12 buttons. Had to use an old driver though.

If I can ever get back to doing design work I'll be pushing for the wired Pro. I'm with CADNurd, wireless stuff on a desktop work station is more hassle than they're worth. If you're highly portable then that's different.

Just me.
Per S

Unread post by Per S »

I have the wireless PRO with there cad mouse and it work with same dongle.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I gave up on the space mouse with Solidworks because I found my left hand on the keyboard more often than not.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

I recently manage to get a wireless demo unit from the reseller at my country.

To be honest, the wireless model feel pretty good.

It is heavy enough to not shift around while using (also the palm rest is a godsent) and at the same time is portable enough for our workflow (all of us is using a laptop workstation and often switch between working at office and from home)

Now i just need to convince my left hand to not keep go back to my keyboard :P
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

That is why I gave up on my space mouse. My left hand needed to be on the keyboard as much as it needed to be on the mouse.
-
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

The wireless one can use wire also. It come with wire and dongle.
I guess the pro can replace my 15 button mouse.
I'm setup to use on screen menu so I mostly use keyboard for numbers.
A touch screen can replace Spacemouse.
m2shell

Unread post by m2shell »

I love the programmable buttons on my SM Enterprise. I use them all the time.