First SE post

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
LarryK
Answers: 0

First SE post

Unread post by LarryK »

Thanks for putting in a section for Solid Edge. The Siemens forum is pretty useless.
matt
Answers: 18

Re: First SE post

Unread post by matt »

Oh, that kind of pains me a little to hear that the SE forum is useless. But I'm glad you're here. Let's get some of your friends to come over....
LarryK

Unread post by LarryK »

Truth is I haven't looked at it in a long time. I can post a link to this on the Facebook group. Rick Mason has been showing up there recently.
matt

Unread post by matt »

LarryK wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:56 am Truth is I haven't looked at it in a long time. I can post a link to this on the Facebook group. Rick Mason has been showing up there recently.
Yeah, that would be cool. Rick was a regular on my blog about a decade ago. Changing forums is a rough thing. It never really works out the way it is intended to work. Plus, there are always different visions in play, and mixing visions has to be done intelligently, it can't be haphazard.

Anyway, yeah, post links. Thanks!
KennyG
Answers: 7

Unread post by KennyG »

Found it!
matt

Unread post by matt »

KennyG wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:49 pmFound it!
Welcome, Kenny, glad to have you here!
DaveG

Unread post by DaveG »

Delighted to see you created a SE forum too Matt, your move to Solid Edge influenced me to give it serious consideration as an alternative to SW.
A decision I'm very happy with, both on the performance of SE & when I look at the way DSS treat their customers.

Best of luck with the forum, I'm sure it will be a great success.
matt

Unread post by matt »

DaveG wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:40 am Delighted to see you created a SE forum too Matt, your move to Solid Edge influenced me to give it serious consideration as an alternative to SW.
A decision I'm very happy with, both on the performance of SE & when I look at the way DSS treat their customers.

Wow, that's really great to hear that someone listened to my Solid Edge message. Thanks for posting that!
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

matt wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:00 am
DaveG wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:40 am Delighted to see you created a SE forum too Matt, your move to Solid Edge influenced me to give it serious consideration as an alternative to SW.

Wow, that's really great to hear that someone listened to my Solid Edge message. Thanks for posting that!
More than one Matt!
matt

Unread post by matt »

bnemec wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:40 pm
More than one Matt!
We've got a couple lurkers as well who I won't give away. So it's good to see everybody showing up.

Now we need to fire up discussions about CAD, or at least some topic other than the board itself!

By the way, what file extensions will SE users want to upload?
DaveG

Unread post by DaveG »

matt wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:00 am Wow, that's really great to hear that someone listened to my Solid Edge message. Thanks for posting that!
Heard it loud and clear, it's an excellent program, thanks for highlighting it.

Solid Edge files:
.asm
.cfg
.par
.psm
.dft

Not technically Solid Edge, but good to have:
.zip
.jt
.ksp
.pdf
ChrisM_Oneplm

Unread post by ChrisM_Oneplm »

Where is Rick Mason... I better send him a link..
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

We are actively checking out SE as an alternative to SWX. How was file migration for you guys? Tell me more, I'm listening..... :P
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
DaveG

Unread post by DaveG »

mike miller wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:03 pm We are actively checking out SE as an alternative to SWX. How was file migration for you guys? Tell me more, I'm listening..... :P
I believe I moved from Solidworks 2017 to Solid Edge ST9. ST9 wasn't well received by the Solid Edge community, but I was really impressed with it, it felt like a step forward for me.

As mentioned by other posters, part migration from SW to SE was fairly flawless, the parts can be edited using sync as if they were natively created in SE (the same applies for other imported files - parasolid, step, etc.).

Assemblies were imported with all the parts maintaining the same relative positions, but mates were lost, all sub-assemblies & parts were grounded in the assembly. SE has an excellent tool that can automatically detect & apply mates to assemblies, but you'll probably have some work to do for mechanisms.

SE has an import wizard which could import drawings & models from SW (with an active SW licence), maintaining the relationship between the drawings & models. This didn't successfully import all drawings for me, I was really impressed it could do any, to be honest. I suspect this may have been due to the parts being driven by lots of interdependent formulae in the SW models, which brought the computer to its knees when running SW (I suspect there were circular references buried somewhere in those SW formulae).

If you have any legacy 2D files, the process of converting them to 3D is very user friendly & efficient.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Fred Outlaw wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:37 pm This has NOTHING to do with solidworks DESKTOP! How do I UNSUBSCRIBE from this thread???
Cheers
image.png
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Fred Outlaw wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:37 pm This has NOTHING to do with solidworks DESKTOP! How do I UNSUBSCRIBE from this thread???
Um, it's in the Solid Edge sub forum. Anyway, if you're subscribed you can unsubscribe:
image.png
matt

Unread post by matt »

Most of the categories here have little collapse icons in the upper right corner. That just lets you ignore that stuff. Unless you are getting emails or messages, you aren't subscribed, it's just part of the board.
image.png