How to Show Bend Locations in SE?

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

How to Show Bend Locations in SE?

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

How do I "rebend" a bend in a flat pattern in SE?
For example this part I would like to show the bend location of bend 2 after bend 3 is bent.
image.png
They can calculate this at the brake but it's more accurate if I give them the measurement.
In SW I would simply create another Flat Pattern configuration and suppress the one "Flatten" feature.
2021-08-11 08_26_25-Window.jpg
2021-08-11 08_26_25-Window.jpg (10.28 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
What is the best way to do this in SE?

Pinging:
@bnemec
@matt
@TusharSuradkar
@uk_dave
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
matt
Answers: 18

Re: How to Show Bend Locations in SE?

Unread post by matt »

There is an Unbend tool to unbend specific bends.
image.png
image.png (20.07 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
image.png
I'm not sure you can rebend a flattened model, but you can unbend a bent model, and then rebend it later. This is all in ordered, I don't think you can do it in sync.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

matt wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:38 am There is an Unbend tool to unbend specific bends.

image.png

image.png

I'm not sure you can rebend a flattened model, but you can unbend a bent model, and then rebend it later. This is all in ordered, I don't think you can do it in sync.
I think he needs to get a drawing view of bend 3 formed but bend 2 flat so he can show distance from the face of the flange created by bend 3 to the bend line of 2. I couldn't remember how to show the model with a bend unbent in one drawing view but not others.

I agree, I don't think you want to put a bend back in the flattened model in SE because I'm pretty sure SE uses that to make the dxf, not at all how SW does it.

That said, I don't understand why they would want to form 3 before 2, but maybe there's other things involved, I don't know. I assume they do not have a CNC break that can read the dxf. We (design eng) never get involved in bend sequencing as metals like to do that, as long as the finished part meets the requirements. I get the feeling that the press operator is requesting that dimension on the print which IMO is a slippery slope. But, I don't know the full context.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Audio gets bad at the end, but this shows the process. You can flatten any bend you want, but it has to be connected to the flat face. So you could flatten 2 adjacent bends in one flatten feature, but not bends that don't connect to the same flat face. To flatten bends that don't connect to the same flat face, you'd have to use multiple Flatten features.
sebebd.wmv
(8.48 MiB) Downloaded 54 times
Jaylin Hochstetler

bnemec wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:59 am I think he needs to get a drawing view of bend 3 formed but bend 2 flat so he can show distance from the face of the flange created by bend 3 to the bend line of 2. I couldn't remember how to show the model with a bend unbent in one drawing view but not others.
That is exactly what I need.
bnemec wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:59 am That said, I don't understand why they would want to form 3 before 2, but maybe there's other things involved, I don't know.
I should have shown the completed part, then it would have made more sense.
image.png
If you form bend 2 before 3, which would look like this:
2021-08-11 13_37_12-Solid Edge 2021 - Ordered Sheet Metal - [8-1013-70.psm].jpg
The main part hits the lower part of the break before the end face reaches the stops, if that makes sense.
bnemec wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:59 am I assume they do not have a CNC break that can read the dxf. We (design eng) never get involved in bend sequencing as metals like to do that, as long as the finished part meets the requirements. I get the feeling that the press operator is requesting that dimension on the print which IMO is a slippery slope. But, I don't know the full context.
We are using a Cincinati CNC break but it doesn't have the capabilities to import a DXF, unfortunately. I am about to tell the operator to simply figure it out. That's why we have press brake operators, right?
matt wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:38 am There is an Unbend tool to unbend specific bends.

Thanks for the info @matt. I knew about this but the difficulty I ran into was, I would have to save out a "family part" in order to have a unbent and bent version. I don't really want another file just so I can show this on the print. Is there an easier way to do this without saving out a "family part"?

Edit: Fixed the pics.
matt

Unread post by matt »

There is a way you can use variables and flexible parts, but I don't know that way well enough to describe it to you.

What's wrong with FOP?
Imics13
Answers: 0

Unread post by Imics13 »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:46 pm That is exactly what I need.

I should have shown the completed part, then it would have made more sense.
image.png
If you form bend 2 before 3, which would look like this:
2021-08-11 13_37_12-Solid Edge 2021 - Ordered Sheet Metal - [8-1013-70.psm].jpg
The main part hits the lower part of the break before the end face reaches the stops, if that makes sense.

We are using a Cincinati CNC break but it doesn't have the capabilities to import a DXF, unfortunately. I am about to tell the operator to simply figure it out. That's why we have press brake operators, right?

Thanks for the info @matt. I knew about this but the difficulty I ran into was, I would have to save out a "family part" in order to have a unbent and bent version. I don't really want another file just so I can show this on the print. Is there an easier way to do this without saving out a "family part"?

Edit: Fixed the pics.
Hi @Jaylin Hochstetler,

You don't need to use family of parts to represent bent and unbent version. Here is a short video about steps:

Solid Edge provides an optopn to show flat pattern part.

Ps.: Nice to see that you manage to build your sm part. Easy, is not?

BR,
BR,
Imics - SolidEdgeST.wordpress.com
matt

Unread post by matt »

@Imics13 saves the day! Thanks for stepping in!
Jaylin Hochstetler

Imics13 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:38 am Hi @Jaylin Hochstetler,

You don't need to use family of parts to represent bent and unbent version. Here is a short video about steps:

Solid Edge provides an optopn to show flat pattern part.

Ps.: Nice to see that you manage to build your sm part. Easy, is not?

BR,
Unfortunately, I don't have YouTube access. Could you attach the video to the post?
Imics13

Unread post by Imics13 »

Hi,

Here you are!

BR,
Attachments
flat_pattern_sm.zip
(5.4 MiB) Downloaded 62 times
BR,
Imics - SolidEdgeST.wordpress.com
bryan5

Unread post by bryan5 »

Are you looking for something like shown here so you can have a full flat but as the part gets bent get a representation with the remaining bends and be able to dimension to the bend line from a formed face. This way the press brake operator does not have to add bend allowance to the numbers on a full flat pattern:
bend sequence.JPG
I don't know if there is an automated way to do this in edge. There are some press brake CAM packages that do this.
Jaylin Hochstetler

Re:

bryan5 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:56 pm Are you looking for something like shown here so you can have a full flat but as the part gets bent get a representation with the remaining bends and be able to dimension to the bend line from a formed face. This way the press brake operator does not have to add bend allowance to the numbers on a full flat pattern:

bend sequence.JPG

I don't know if there is an automated way to do this in edge. There are some press brake CAM packages that do this.
Yes, that's exactly what I am looking for.