Get Latest Version

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
oldguynewbike
Answers: 0

Get Latest Version

Unread post by oldguynewbike »

We have some released parts that are used in other assemblies that need to be opened and the latest version gotten no matter how many times I open. rebuild and resave the assembly. This has to be done every time that I need to check in the assembly. Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone know what causes this? Is it at the part level or assembly level? The PDM level? Does anyone have a fix? I've used PDM products (Teamcenter, SMARTeam etc) but I don't remember this being an issue with those.
by jcapriotti » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:56 pm
Some parts will always seem to want a rebuild, it's feature related and can be impossible to get rid of for some parts.

This restriction you are getting is a setting for users/groups. Your admin needs to uncheck the file rebuilt message. You'll still get the warning but it won't prevent the check-in.
image.png
Go to full post
"Come on over Cletus.....Ain't nuthin but a short walk....You walk over.....but you're limpin' back"-Granny Klump
bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: Get Latest Version

Unread post by bnemec »

Following.

I'm having a hard time keeping track of which files are which. So released part C is used in assemblies A and B. A and B need to be rebuilt and saved every time you check them in? Seems odd, the assembly's refs should update to use whichever version you have in local cache when the assembly is checked in. A review of the complete contains tab of the top level assembly with referenced version column might show some lower level reference as out of date, maybe it's not part C that's causing this. Hard to guess without seeing the whole picture.

Are you using the Solidworks PDM Add-in so it is clear which version of all the files you are working with?
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

oldguynewbike wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:33 am We have some released parts that are used in other assemblies that need to be opened and the latest version gotten no matter how many times I open. rebuild and resave the assembly. This has to be done every time that I need to check in the assembly. Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone know what causes this? Is it at the part level or assembly level? The PDM level? Does anyone have a fix? I've used PDM products (Teamcenter, SMARTeam etc) but I don't remember this being an issue with those.
Are you saying you want it to always get the latest version and it's not doing that? Not for sure from your comment but if so, you need these settings on the user or group.
image.png
Jason
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

jcapriotti wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:37 pm
oldguynewbike wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:33 am We have some released parts that are used in other assemblies that need to be opened and the latest version gotten no matter how many times I open. rebuild and resave the assembly. This has to be done every time that I need to check in the assembly. Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone know what causes this? Is it at the part level or assembly level? The PDM level? Does anyone have a fix? I've used PDM products (Teamcenter, SMARTeam etc) but I don't remember this being an issue with those.
Are you saying you want it to always get the latest version and it's not doing that? Not for sure from your comment but if so, you need these settings on the user or group.

image.png
From my understanding, he's always getting a request to get the latest version from a part, even though he opens, rebuilds and saves the assembly containing it.
oldguynewbike

What Alex said. I will go to check in my assembly and get a Check In dialogue box with the "Check In" button greyed out and a red warning next to the assembly I am trying to check in. When I expand the warning it will list the offending part(s) saying to open the checked out assembly file and save it, and that it may be necessary to activate each of the configurations/sheets in the list below and press the rebuild button before saving the file. I'll open and get latest version of the offending part, close it, then go through configs/sheets and rebuild and resave my assembly drawing/file. Now I can check it in. But the next time you check out that assembly and go to check it back in, that same part will have the same error every time. Do I need to get an admin to do something to the released, locked down, read only part to fix this?
Attachments
image.png
image.png
"Come on over Cletus.....Ain't nuthin but a short walk....You walk over.....but you're limpin' back"-Granny Klump
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Some parts will always seem to want a rebuild, it's feature related and can be impossible to get rid of for some parts.

This restriction you are getting is a setting for users/groups. Your admin needs to uncheck the file rebuilt message. You'll still get the warning but it won't prevent the check-in.
image.png
Jason
oldguynewbike

Thank you Jason. I will pass that on to the PDM admin and see if it is something that he is willing to change.
pcn

Unread post by pcn »

If you just turn off the setting, is that fixing the symptom but not the root cause? If you have users other than Engineers using PDM and they see the "This file requires rebuilding" message will they have confidence that what they view or print is accurate? Or will they begin to lose confidence in the system or Engineering? Or does turning off the setting also hide the "this drawing is of questionable accuracy" message as well?