how to disable external references when editing in place by default?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
bnemec
Answers: 10

how to disable external references when editing in place by default?

Unread post by bnemec »

Creating or editing parts in place/in context of an assembly is very handy feature of most modern 3D CAD. However, if users are not careful it can cause great problems. Specifically, external references. In short, we DO NOT allow part files to have external references through the context of a parent assembly. We are looking for a way to make default behavior NOT create/maintain associativity when working on a part from the assembly it's used in. So we use the geometry of other parts to start the sketch, for example, but then fully define the sketch.

Solid Edge had settings in the "Project to Sketch" command that could completely prevent using peer assembly components (not good) but could also prevent the external reference by not maintaining associativity from other parts (good). Of course some of us would toggle that back on now and then during development, but with the understanding that every link would need to be broken and sketches fully constrained within the context of the part alone. For the most part we kept them as in the screen shot (taken from Solid Edge), so the default behavior was to not make external references. This setting could be controlled as part of the admin settings tool so that is how we helped reduce the number of issues with this. Now that we're in Solidworks this problem of parts with external references is coming up again and I get the feeling that it's not purely intentional, it's more negligence, so changing some default behavior in Solidworks should clear it up.

screen shot of Solid Edge settings
image.png
image.png (15.53 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
by mike miller » Fri May 14, 2021 3:44 pm
bnemec wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:38 pm no, didn't know that either. So many icons... :oops: That would be handy to turn it on for just a bit though then back off.

I confess there's a bit of Rubber Duck Problem Solving on this one.
Hey, don't feel bad. You should see me floundering around in Solid Edge! :lol: :oops:
Go to full post
bnemec

Re: how to disable external references when editing in place by default?

Unread post by bnemec »

I think I found it, after looking in all the wrong places first.
image.png
Bright side I did not continue looking in the wrong places after I found it in the right place...
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

I guess you know about this...???
2021-05-14 15_28_07.jpg
Obviously it only works for that instance and not globally.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

mike miller wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:29 pm I guess you know about this...???

2021-05-14 15_28_07.jpg

Obviously it only works for that instance and not globally.
no, didn't know that either. So many icons... :oops: That would be handy to turn it on for just a bit though then back off.

mike miller

bnemec wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:38 pm no, didn't know that either. So many icons... :oops: That would be handy to turn it on for just a bit though then back off.

Hey, don't feel bad. You should see me floundering around in Solid Edge! :lol: :oops:
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

mike miller wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:44 pm Hey, don't feel bad. You should see me floundering around in Solid Edge! :lol: :oops:
LOL, I suppose. Hard to unlearn muscle memory of all those routines. Solidworks has the option to search for commands and it will even show me where they are at, when I search for the right thing.

your menu bars in the screen shot, no ribbon, do you hide it some how and just have all the common tool bars up all the time. Like before the ribbon?
mike miller

bnemec wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:52 pm LOL, I suppose. Hard to unlearn muscle memory of all those routines. Solidworks has the option to search for commands and it will even show me where they are at, when I search for the right thing.

your menu bars in the screen shot, no ribbon, do you hide it some how and just have all the common tool bars up all the time. Like before the ribbon?
I don't like CommandManager. Too much fiddlefarting around even if you know where everything is. With toolbars, everything you could possibly need is right at your fingertips. Of course, my most common commands I keep on mouse gestures and the "S" key panel.

This is what my Assembly environment looks like.
2021-05-14 15_56_15.jpg
And Part.
2021-05-14 15_56_33.jpg
Notice how the PropertyManager is docked on the right hand side of the screen. Way easier to access the tree while in a command. Thanks to @matt for this one.
2021-05-14 15_59_44.jpg
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

mike miller wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:59 pm I don't like CommandManager. Too much fiddlefarting around even if you know where everything is. With toolbars, everything you could possibly need is right at your fingertips. Of course, my most common commands I keep on mouse gestures and the "S" key panel.

Notice how the PropertyManager is docked on the right hand side of the screen. Way easier to access the tree while in a command. Thanks to @matt for this one.

2021-05-14 15_59_44.jpg
Well, that's awesome. I to dock it outside the Manager Pain right away because I couldn't stand the tree being covered up when I need it most. I have just been enjoying how the command manager grows in width ever since. So if it's docked on the right side it doesn't grow in width?
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

bnemec wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:05 pm Well, that's awesome. I to dock it outside the Manager Pain right away because I couldn't stand the tree being covered up when I need it most. I have just been enjoying how the command manager grows in width ever since. So if it's docked on the right side it doesn't grow in width?
Just to straighten out some terminology...

The CommandManager in SW is like the Ribbon in Edge - it has toolbars on it. The PropertyManager in SW is the equivalent of what Solid Edge calls the Command Manager.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

matt wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:37 pm Just to straighten out some terminology...

The CommandManager in SW is like the Ribbon in Edge - it has toolbars on it. The PropertyManager in SW is the equivalent of what Solid Edge calls the Command Manager.
<()> hhhh

Command Manager in SE -> Where's Waldo ?
Command Manager in SW -> Ribbon (thank you MicroSoft for leading the chage that's making us all 1000% more efficient.)
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Hey @mike miller,
SE may not have the S key, but what do you think of their mouse gestures? They're on steroids compared to SW.
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

bnemec wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:50 pm <()> hhhh

Command Manager in SE -> Where's Waldo ?
Command Manager in SW -> Ribbon (thank you MicroSoft for leading the chage that's making us all 1000% more efficient.)
It was a smart move on MS' part to introduce the ribbon interface at the exact time that everyone was switching from monitors that had 1200+ vertical pixels to 1080....Brilliant move!
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

Hey, @bnemec why don't you mark this as answered? I love to see it turn green!
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

matt wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:06 pm Hey, @bnemec why don't you mark this as answered? I love to see it turn green!
Sorry, I forgot. Thanks for the reminder.