Number of instances hole callout for patterned hole wizard

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Number of instances hole callout for patterned hole wizard

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

Is it possible to have SolidWorks show on a drawing through the hole callout the number of instances from a hole wizard hole, that is patterned through a sketch pattern?

I'm on SolidWorks 2017 SP5
Screenshot 2021-07-20 095756.png
Screenshot 2021-07-20 095756.png (3.33 KiB) Viewed 3349 times
by zwei » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:13 pm
If not mistaken, I believe the <NUM_INST> will not work for sketch driven pattern as the software could not count the points in it (unlike linear pattern etc) There is several similar discussion in the old forum (which i had lost my bookmark :( ) and seem to be a pretty common issue with ssp n SOLIDWORKS

A lot of time i just end up count it manually if the hole callout is not working
And if the number of hole is too many, there is a macro that export the number of hole based on size (by artem if not mistaken)
Go to full post
mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: Number of instances hole callout for patterned hole wizard

Unread post by mike miller »

Why don't you get rid of your sketch pattern and use Hole Wizard for its intended purpose? HW is really a library feature and sketch pattern put together. Using a sketch pattern for a HW feature is redundundundant.

Also, allow me to say that Solid Edge has a brilliant solution for the callout problem:
2021-07-20 11_19_15.jpg
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

As @mike miller indicated, you're doing things backward. Move your sketch pattern up above the hole wizard feature, then drop your hole wizard points coincident with the points of the sketch. I pretty much always use a stand-alone sketch to drive my hole wizard features. My hole wizard sketches only consist of the points, with no dimensions, construction lines, etc.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
berg_lauritz

@mike miller, @Glenn Schroeder I have a SSP, that has a sketch with the hole locations. How do I properly populate this into the hole wizard? It does not allow me to use the sketch from the SSP for the hole wizard.
And if I need to manually place the points onto the sketch from the SSP, I lose the benefits of the SSP having the sketch. This is the same, if I derive the points from the SSP into the hole wizard sketch.
Also, allow me to say that Solid Edge has a brilliant solution for the callout problem:
That solution really is brilliant.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

berg_lauritz wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:29 am @mike miller, @Glenn Schroeder I have a SSP, that has a sketch with the hole locations. How do I properly populate this into the hole wizard? It does not allow me to use the sketch from the SSP for the hole wizard.
And if I need to manually place the points onto the sketch from the SSP, I lose the benefits of the SSP having the sketch. This is the same, if I derive the points from the SSP into the hole wizard sketch.
I've never used an SSP, but you can't have the SSP sketch visible, then drop the Hole Wizard points coincident with points, end points, center points, etc on the SSP sketch? If not, make a new sketch in your Part, referencing the SSP sketch (probably using Convert Entities), then drop your Hole Wizard points coincident with features in it.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Uncle_Hairball
Answers: 2

Unread post by Uncle_Hairball »

Have you tried a hole note? It works for me.
berg_lauritz

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:08 pm I've never used an SSP, but you can't have the SSP sketch visible, then drop the Hole Wizard points coincident with points, end points, center points, etc on the SSP sketch? If not, make a new sketch in your Part, referencing the SSP sketch (probably using Convert Entities), then drop your Hole Wizard points coincident with features in it.
That is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I will loose all the benefits of the SSP like that:
  1. If I use convert entities, I will have to go back & add holes/remove them, if I add points to the SSP. Thus I loose the benefit of only editing the SSP to add/remove holes
  2. If I add them manually, I have the problem, that I have to click every single hole & add a point to it. Additionally the same problem from 1. persists!
@Uncle_Hairball
It does not show the number of instances for me with the hole note, if I pattern the hole wizard feature. Which version are you on?
Uncle_Hairball
Answers: 2

Unread post by Uncle_Hairball »

I'm on 2019.

If the hole note doesn't give you a count, try putting this in the Dimension Text box ahead of the hole dimension: <NUM_INST>X
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

If not mistaken, I believe the <NUM_INST> will not work for sketch driven pattern as the software could not count the points in it (unlike linear pattern etc) There is several similar discussion in the old forum (which i had lost my bookmark :( ) and seem to be a pretty common issue with ssp n SOLIDWORKS

A lot of time i just end up count it manually if the hole callout is not working
And if the number of hole is too many, there is a macro that export the number of hole based on size (by artem if not mistaken)
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
berg_lauritz

just found it 5 minutes ago:

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... K95p7b9uxA

you were correct, @Zhen-Wei Tee , it was answered there before.