Mating two points coincident - odd issues?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Ballfreak10
Answers: 0

Mating two points coincident - odd issues?

Unread post by Ballfreak10 »

Hi all,

In the assembly file of the attached folder, I'm looking to apply a coincident mate between Point1 & point2. However, when I select one point in the mate tool, the other point is unable to be selected! This is just a very strange issue. Any ideas :)??

Thanks in advance,
Attachments
Bathroom Faucet.zip
(697.92 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
by Glenn Schroeder » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:35 pm
That mate won't work because both Points belong to the upper level Assembly. In order for that to work at least one of them, and preferably both, need to be in the Part file. You can mate an entity belonging to a Part or Assembly to an entity belonging to any other Part or Assembly, but not two belonging to the same Part or Assembly.

In any case, I'd suggest a different workflow, and use a Profile Center mate instead. That will accomplish your goal without the need for added reference geometry, and it can be set to allow rotation, or you can lock it.

image.png
Go to full post
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: Mating two points coincident - odd issues?

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

That mate won't work because both Points belong to the upper level Assembly. In order for that to work at least one of them, and preferably both, need to be in the Part file. You can mate an entity belonging to a Part or Assembly to an entity belonging to any other Part or Assembly, but not two belonging to the same Part or Assembly.

In any case, I'd suggest a different workflow, and use a Profile Center mate instead. That will accomplish your goal without the need for added reference geometry, and it can be set to allow rotation, or you can lock it.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: Mating two points coincident - odd issues?

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

By the way, I took a look at your Faucet part. Maybe you're just learning different techniques, but if not I wanted to mention that you could accomplish your Base Bottom, Base Top, and Base Loft all with a single Revolve. See below. I put my sketch off to the side of your model to illustrate what I mean. I didn't take the time to fully define the sketch with relations and dimensions, so it's not exactly the same as yours, but you should get the idea.

image.png
image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"