Balloons Don't attach to Part?

Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Balloons Don't attach to Part?

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

In 2021 SP01 I cannot attach a balloon to a part if it is in the exploded state. I have to collapse it, attach my balloons and then explode it again.
Does anyone else have this issue? Does anyone know if this was fixed in SP02?

There was a short discussion about in the "old forum" but I'm curious if it got fixed.
https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/246742

This will determine if it is worth the pain of upgrading to SP02.
by Jaylin Hochstetler » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:11 am
My VAR contacted me and said, "According to SPR 1207123 this issue will be fixed in SP04."
Go to full post
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Balloons Don't attach to Part?

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:33 am In 2021 SP01 I cannot attach a balloon to a part if it is in the exploded state. I have to collapse it, attach my balloons and then explode it again.

There was a short discussion about in the "old forum" but I'm curious if it got fixed.

Have you reported it to your VAR? If not, have you looked in the KB if it's been logged by somebody else? If nobody tells them there's an issue then it's more likely to not be fixed.
Merovingien

Unread post by Merovingien »

this is an old bug, i already saw that with previous SWxxxx
Jaylin Hochstetler

AlexLachance wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:36 am
Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:33 am In 2021 SP01 I cannot attach a balloon to a part if it is in the exploded state. I have to collapse it, attach my balloons and then explode it again.

Have you reported it to your VAR? If not, have you looked in the KB if it's been logged by somebody else? If nobody tells them there's an issue then it's more likely to not be fixed.
Talked with my VAR (GoEngineer). The tech and I got one DV to work by switching it from Draft Quality to High Quality but the rest it didn't work by switching it. He concluded the call by saying, "Yea, it's just another bug." (that is his own words) He acted like it was just a common thing... just deal with it... grumph

He said there is an SPR for it but it's still open.

He also said that Draft Quality is supposed to increase performance but he hasn't ever noticed that it does and it can cause weird issues. Do any of ya'll see a performance difference between Draft Quality and High Quality? Which do you use?
AlexLachance

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:02 pm
AlexLachance wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:36 am

Talked with my VAR (GoEngineer). The tech and I got one DV to work by switching it from Draft Quality to High Quality but the rest it didn't work by switching it. He concluded the call by saying, "Yea, it's just another bug." (that is his own words) He acted like it was just a common thing... just deal with it... grumph

He said there is an SPR for it but it's still open.

He also said that Draft Quality is supposed to increase performance but he hasn't ever noticed that it does and it can cause weird issues. Do any of ya'll see a performance difference between Draft Quality and High Quality? Which do you use?
Draft Quality slightly increases performance but, being a guy who works in assemblies with over 5k parts, I can tell you the lack of quality greatly outweighs the increase in performance.

I try and set them to high quality as often as possible. Draft just looks like sh!t if you ask me.

Tell him to attach you to the SPR, so that it gets upvoted. The more people attached to it, the more likely it is to be fixed.

If it's something that irritates you, then bring it up constantly to your VAR, ask them to involve SW. If they find the solution, most likely that SW will tell your VAR to develop an application to correct the issue.

I can understand their disbelief, but you gotta shake 'em up so that they come back to themselves and understand that even though there is an abondance of bugs, they have to forward them to SW.
Roasted By John
Answers: 1

Unread post by Roasted By John »

This is a "Template Gotcha" - you can delete the BOM and the View and re-insert the model and bom, "sometimes that works"
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Jaylin Hochstetler

Roasted By John wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:38 am This is a "Template Gotcha" - you can delete the BOM and the View and re-insert the model and bom, "sometimes that works"
I made a new drawing that uses 2021 templates and it works great! Thanks @Roasted By John! Not sure why I didn't think of this. But, it's still a bug and needs to be fixed. I am not redoing all of our drawings... grumph There is NO reason they can't make their new software versions compatible with old ver. templates. It simply too much work for them.... :oops:
AlexLachance

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:44 am
Roasted By John wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:38 am This is a "Template Gotcha" - you can delete the BOM and the View and re-insert the model and bom, "sometimes that works"
I made a new drawing that uses 2021 templates and it works great! Thanks @Roasted By John! Not sure why I didn't think of this. But, it's still a bug and needs to be fixed. I am not redoing all of our drawings... grumph There is NO reason they can't make their new software versions compatible with old ver. templates. It simply too much work for them.... :oops:
I've been arguing with them over this for well over 3 years, don't hold your breath.
AlexLachance

Hey Jaylin,

Have you tried forcing the attachment to the BOM by linking the view to the BOM
image.png
Jaylin Hochstetler

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:05 am Hey Jaylin,

Have you tried forcing the attachment to the BOM by linking the view to the BOM
image.png
Yup, same thing.
Jaylin Hochstetler

My VAR contacted me and said, "According to SPR 1207123 this issue will be fixed in SP04."
CarrieIves
Answers: 2

Unread post by CarrieIves »

This is probably a different issue, but I had a view that somehow was created with perspective on. The balloons were not attaching where it looked like they were and the numbers were all wrong. I recreated that saved view and then everything worked as expected. This is was SolidWorks 2019.
Jaylin Hochstetler

BTW, this issue was fixed in SP4.1
Ben
Answers: 0

Unread post by Ben »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:48 am BTW, this issue was fixed in SP4.1
no it hasn't. there is a fix coming in 5. Been trying to work this out with my VAR and there is already a service request and it has been fixed in 5.
Jaylin Hochstetler

Ben wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:15 am no it hasn't. there is a fix coming in 5. Been trying to work this out with my VAR and there is already a service request and it has been fixed in 5.
I tried attaching a balloon to an exploded part just yesterday and it worked fine.
Ben

Unread post by Ben »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:34 pm I tried attaching a balloon to an exploded part just yesterday and it worked fine.
ya for me some files work and then sometimes it just doesn't work. it will not work on only a couple parts though
Jaylin Hochstetler

Ben wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:17 am ya for me some files work and then sometimes it just doesn't work. it will not work on only a couple parts though
So they kinda fixed it. That is normal. Anymore I expect that.
Hanke E. Panky

Unread post by Hanke E. Panky »

I've found a couple of ways to get around this issue (still using 2021 SP2.0).

1. Try un-exploding and re-exploding the assembly in the drawing.
2. If working on the drawing with the parent assembly open at the same time, ensure that the assembly is also set to the exploded view/configuration that you are trying to add balloons to. I've found this especially helpful when working with an assembly that has multiple configurations and exploded views. Seems like SW just gets a little confused sometimes.

--Matt