Sketched Bend Won't Bend

josh
Answers: 11

Sketched Bend Won't Bend

Unread post by josh »

So, here's one of the noob posts that we need... I don't work with sheet metal features much, so here goes.

I want to buy this register vent boot from McMaster, cut the corners, and make it a sorta flat mount flange. So downloaded the model and I thought I'd cut some rips down the corners and do four sketched bends. The first one I did worked exactly as I expected, but I can't get any of the other three to bend. Where am I screwing the pooch on this one?

Obviously I have no need for a flat pattern here, so if I need to just cut it and model the other three flaps I can do that, but I thought I'd throw it out to the gurus. Image and file attached.

Thanks!
image.png
Roasted By John
Answers: 1

Re: Sketched Bend Won't Bend

Unread post by Roasted By John »

Not sure on that one @josh - my guess the shell screws up the metal thickness somehow, you could cut it off or add a modeled part.. Not sure why it would be like that. See if you can contact https://forum.solidworks.com/people/1-CS89GE from SW and see what he has to say..
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

I didn't have a lot of time to play with it, but it appears Solidworks doesn't like the combination of Boss-Extrude, Loft, Shell, and Insert Bends. At first I thought it might be a template issue (the original McM file's Top Plane was created in 1999!) because I could do a Boss, Shell, and Insert Bends with Rip in a new file. But then I replicated it in a new file with Boss, Loft, Shell, Insert Bends and....it doesn't work n'more. :( So it appears to me that it's a limitation on SWX's part that doesn't allow a shelled loft to be fully converted to sheet metal.

It's a weird one, I've never seen it before.......
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
josh
Answers: 11

Unread post by josh »

Okey doke, thanks guys! At least sounds like it wasn't something stupid I did. Like I said, no need for a flat pattern for sure, I just figured some sketched bends would be the quickest route to my final shape. Then, when it didn't work, figured it might be a learning opportunity for me and a content opportunity for the new digs... :-)
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

This thing is a combination of formed and stamped operations. Not worth going through the hoops to get it to unflatten. Which in that case I would just model it with non sheet metal tools
Jason
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

josh wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:41 pm So, here's one of the noob posts that we need... I don't work with sheet metal features much, so here goes.

I want to buy this register vent boot from McMaster, cut the corners, and make it a sorta flat mount flange. So downloaded the model and I thought I'd cut some rips down the corners and do four sketched bends. The first one I did worked exactly as I expected, but I can't get any of the other three to bend. Where am I screwing the pooch on this one?

Obviously I have no need for a flat pattern here, so if I need to just cut it and model the other three flaps I can do that, but I thought I'd throw it out to the gurus. Image and file attached.

Thanks!

image.png
How did you get the first sketch bend? In order to get a sketch bend it has to be converted to sheet metal and as far as I can tell you can only turn part of it to sheet metal. Is it possible you converted to sheet metal and it only took one face, you then bent that face. But when you went to the next face it really isn't part of the sheet metal so it won't allow you to even do a sketch bend?
Tahhhd
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tahhhd »

I wasn't able to open the file (future version) so I pulled a copy from McMaster.
The lofted section creates all sorts of issues with converting to sheet metal, but you can have some "fun" with the top portion.

I just did a convert to sheet metal, keep bodies for the lower section, grabbed some edges to have the back & 3 sides.
(Since this is just for visual, I didn't mind doing things that would make press brake operators VERY angry.)
Hide the original body, unfold the new sheet metal body, add some cuts, add some sketched bends, fold.
Hide the sheet metal body, cut away the top portion of the original body.
Show the sheet metal body and combine it with the original body.
It's dirty and ugly, but it added flanges.
t