Dumb question, how do I select a sheet metal corner edge to "break"

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Dumb question, how do I select a sheet metal corner edge to "break"

Unread post by bnemec »

I cannot select the corner edge where highlighted. Is this because of the pattern feature or am I an idiot?
image.png
by Jaylin Hochstetler » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:10 pm
bnemec wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:28 pm Thank you for the video. I see SW is more, select something and I'll show you what you can do with it. I'm more accustomed to selecting the feature then selecting objects. I had to chuckle a little bit watching though, as it was painful watching you try to select the edges.

Here's Edge:
FilletsInSolidEdgeSheetMetal.gif
Yea, I know, it's really stupid!
I guess SW thinks you will never need to do a break corner on an inside corner of a sheet metal part.
Yet another feature that kinda works.
Go to full post
mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: Dumb question, how do I select a sheet metal corner edge to "break"

Unread post by mike miller »

Yeah, you're definitely an idiot. :lol:

It might be because it's an imported file and modified with a Move/Copy Bodies. Can you share the file?

P.S. I would be very skeptical of using Move/Copy Bodies and then creating edge flanges that are dependent on it. When (not if) that feature breaks.......... <()>
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

mike miller wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:51 pm Yeah, you're definitely an idiot. :lol:
well, at least I got that much right!
mike miller wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:51 pm It might be because it's an imported file and modified with a Move/Copy Bodies. Can you share the file?
P.S. I would be very skeptical of using Move/Copy Bodies and then creating edge flanges that are dependent on it. When (not if) that feature breaks.......... <()>
ah, I should have mentioned that the body in screen shot is not the imported body. The imported body is hidden. It is just for reference. We're still working on remodeling nearly all of our parts in Solidworks so the imported geometry is just to help confirm the geometry is the same, a lot of hiding and showing of that. Now that I think about it there may be an accidental dependency back to the imported body. I'll go check on that.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

tech support 101: "make the customer reproduce the problem in another file/computer"

I made new file from scratch, didn't get to the pattern, just some internal cutouts. What sheet metal feature am I supposed to insert to put radii on these corners? I'm getting the impression that Solidworks' "break corners" is only for outside corners.
image.png
The corner treatment I'm looking for appears to only exist in the flat? Which is gone in the config as used in assemblies. I'm so confused.
image.png
image.png
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

Huh, internal corners don't work with Break Corner..........????? o[

So you have two options:

1) Export to SE, break corners in Synch, re-import to SWX. (okay, I couldn't resist)
2) Use the Fillet feature.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

bnemec wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:39 pm I cannot select the corner edge where highlighted. Is this because of the pattern feature or am I an idiot?

image.png
I've always used the fillet tool, never saw a need to use the corner break tool beings the fillet tool does everything I need it to.
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

mike miller wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:31 pm Huh, internal corners don't work with Break Corner..........????? o[

So you have two options:

1) Export to SE, break corners in Synch, re-import to SWX. (okay, I couldn't resist)
2) Use the Fillet feature.
So even though I'm working on sheet metal body SW wants me to use the "Fillet" feature with default behavior that happily selects face edges? I would be ;; if it wasn't so grumph
image.png
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:35 pm I've always used the fillet tool, never saw a need to use the corner break tool beings the fillet tool does everything I need it to.
Is there a setting in the Fillet feature to only select edges normal to sheet?

Solid Edge has a fillet tool that is unique to sheet metal and they call it Break Corner. It behaves like fillet, but is smart enough to only select edges normal to the sheet and only does constant radius. In other words, is only did sheet metal type fillets.
Jaylin Hochstetler

bnemec wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:41 pm Is there a setting in the Fillet feature to only select edges normal to sheet?

Solid Edge has a fillet tool that is unique to sheet metal and they call it Break Corner. It behaves like fillet, but is smart enough to only select edges normal to the sheet and only does constant radius. In other words, is only did sheet metal type fillets.
Not really, but they have a selection "tool" that selects the edges for you. See attached video.
Attachments
Fillet Selection.mp4
(8.54 MiB) Downloaded 73 times
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:50 pm Not really, but they have a selection "tool" that selects the edges for you. See attached video.
Thank you for the video. I see SW is more, select something and I'll show you what you can do with it. I'm more accustomed to selecting the feature then selecting objects. I had to chuckle a little bit watching though, as it was painful watching you try to select the edges.

Here's Edge:
Jaylin Hochstetler

bnemec wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:28 pm Thank you for the video. I see SW is more, select something and I'll show you what you can do with it. I'm more accustomed to selecting the feature then selecting objects. I had to chuckle a little bit watching though, as it was painful watching you try to select the edges.

Here's Edge:
Yea, I know, it's really stupid!
I guess SW thinks you will never need to do a break corner on an inside corner of a sheet metal part.
Yet another feature that kinda works.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Yeah, the Solidworks "Corner Break" doesn't allow selecting internally closed cuts. Not sure of the thought behind that other than the programmers probably took the statement "We need to break all outside corners" literally.

The "Corner Trim" that is only accessible in the flat is more of a manufacturing process tool along with the corner relief options. You can put small rounds on all corners for a CNC laser for example. They don't show in the formed up part since its not important usually.
Jason