Fireside Chat at SWW or 3DEW

bnemec
Answers: 10

Fireside Chat at SWW or 3DEW

Unread post by bnemec »

Anyone listening? I was hoping it would be good, but the first few minutes was hard to listen to. I almost wish that people would stop asking about SW Desktop (App). Those questions seem to just spawn a bunch of twaddle.
Alin
Answers: 3

Re: Fireside Chat at SWW or 3DEW

Unread post by Alin »

I am listening.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

I'm listening but I don't understand.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

bnemec wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:10 am Anyone listening? I was hoping it would be good, but the first few minutes was hard to listen to. I almost wish that people would stop asking about SW Desktop (App). Those questions seem to just spawn a bunch of twaddle.
I listened until the new head of 3DX dodged the question about the future of SW Desktop.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Alin

Unread post by Alin »

Another good event that starts in a few minutes:

https://reg.3dexperienceworld.com/flow/ ... 535001TG89
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:32 am I listened until the new head of 3DX dodged the question about the future of SW Desktop.
I think he answered it quite well when he said something to the effect that the desktop computer will go away.

The whole song over and over was "Quit thinking SW and the Platform are different things, they are one and the same." Well, that sums it up quite well.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

bnemec wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:00 pm I think he answered it quite well when he said something to the effect that the desktop computer will go away.

The whole song over and over was "Quit thinking SW and the Platform are different things, they are one and the same." Well, that sums it up quite well.
If something requires that much explaining, I don't think I'm interested.

Technology companies are addicted to data. Even when they don't get any actual value from it, they must accumulate data. They can only accumulate data if you are constantly connected to them. If we got to the currently PROFOUND misunderstanding of customers through all of the data they have amassed, I don't think more data is going to help them improve the situation. They took a good product and are intentionally sabotaging it so they can push you to an entirely different vision. If you like that vision, that's ok, just make sure that it's your choice. Don't let this company bully you into something that benefits them more than you.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Alin wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:39 am Another good event that starts in a few minutes:

https://reg.3dexperienceworld.com/flow/ ... 535001TG89
I gotta say, I think Matthew did a good job with that meeting. Don't get me wrong, the SWYM (and platform in all) is ridiculously misguided flop and what a pathetic experience it is and I resist the urge to digress into all the ways I think they're failing with it. However, based on what I saw in the ~45 live minutes and all the crap he's taken, I tip my hat a bit to Matthew for his efforts.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

bnemec wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:59 pm I gotta say, I think Matthew did a good job with that meeting. Don't get me wrong, the SWYM (and platform in all) is ridiculously misguided flop and what a pathetic experience it is and I resist the urge to digress into all the ways I think they're failing with it. However, based on what I saw in the ~45 live minutes and all the crap he's taken, I tip my hat a bit to Matthew for his efforts.
I agree. I didn't listen to all of it, but from what I did listen to, and a couple phone conversations I've had with him, I think he's doing the best that can be done under the circumstances.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Alin

Unread post by Alin »

Matt Hall is amazing. He is a born problem-solver and community builder.
KQuigley
Answers: 0

Unread post by KQuigley »

I was there. I asked several questions. They didn’t answer any, just like last year.
The questions most important to us were:

1 What incentives are there for existing users to move to or add 3DX? No answer.

2 Each 3DX user gets 20GB of file storage with each license. The cloud platforms assume you keep all the project data in the cloud, on the platform so you can benefit from the “collaboration”. Our active project server has 1TB of data for 2 users. Moving to 3DX we need to purchase extra storage, at the rate of £79 per 25GB/year. So our actual total cost is considerably more than just subscription. For comparison, Dropbox Business, for 5 users, costs us £300 a year for 5TB storage. So how can Solidworks justify that level of storage cost?

Again, no answer.

Question 2 I have asked numerous times and never had an answer. All the VARs I speak to see it as a severe limitation in transitioning companies to 3DX. My DMs during that session were something to behold with messages from users and VARs.
storage on 3DX is the big dirty secret.