Watercooler Talk

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
Tom G
Answers: 0

Re: Watercooler Talk

Unread post by Tom G »

@AlexLachance
This is something of which I understand little, but I follow tech news that mentions this. Have you tried using a diagnostic wearable which monitors blood oxygen and sleep? Your concern of sleep apnea triggers this response. If nothing else, it is a (reasonably affordable) diagnostic that you can do yourself and bring real data to inform your health professionals. (Take that, doctor!)

I had read about a good one earlier this week, https://bodimetrics.com/product/prevent ... ness-ring/
The review of it at ZDNet.com: https://www.zdnet.com/article/preventio ... ng-review/
ZDNet also has a slide show ("In Pictures" link in the review) showing the product and its available reports.

Edit: I do wish you wellness. Neglected to mention real concern because I'm overly practical.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Tom G wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:50 pm @AlexLachance
This is something of which I understand little, but I follow tech news that mentions this. Have you tried using a diagnostic wearable which monitors blood oxygen and sleep? Your concern of sleep apnea triggers this response. If nothing else, it is a (reasonably affordable) diagnostic that you can do yourself and bring real data to inform your health professionals. (Take that, doctor!)

I had read about a good one earlier this week, https://bodimetrics.com/product/prevent ... ness-ring/
The review of it at ZDNet.com: https://www.zdnet.com/article/preventio ... ng-review/
ZDNet also has a slide show ("In Pictures" link in the review) showing the product and its available reports.

Edit: I do wish you wellness. Neglected to mention real concern because I'm overly practical.
I have an Oura Ring, that SolidEdge offered me, but hadn't thought of using it in that manner.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:18 pm I'll be looking to get a second opinion from another doctor that's for sure. I'll also be checking in this weekend with an Osteopath.

The journal's a good idea, I've been "monitoring" myself, but I've got nothing written down, and my memory is, well, tricky. I went through a few treatments such as acupuncture when I was younger to help with my asthma and allergies, so perhaps I'll have to restart these. I'll definetly start noting things down as you said. It'll be easier to then glance over the matter and try to figure things out.

I've thought about sleep apnea, since it is common in my family and that I do snore a lot, but my doctor just didn't want to hear it.
Glad to hear about the scans! ><
Yeah, there are some good devices on the market which can record your vitals.. it may at least give you some reference, especially sleep!
The marketing of course can be confusing but there are some brain supplements maybe worth considering? Omega 3 is the most effective... but.. there's a lot of voodoo out there.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and ... upplements
https://www.webmd.com/brain/ss/slidesho ... upplements
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Lapuo

Unread post by Lapuo »

Hey @AlexLachance !
I did not follow this thread until now , and i completely missed stuff you are dealing with.
I am sorry , and i hope that you will be ok.
I am glad that scans show nothing , but i do understand that it is kind of hard to fight with something and not knowing what it is.
Hopefully you will get some answers , please update us.
You are in my thoughts.
AlexLachance

So, I auto-diagnosed myself because the doctors were kind of useless and saying it was all in my head, and so far it seems the issue was a B1 vitamin deficiency, so I've been taking these for over a week along with omega3 pills every day and so far, I've been seeing a great improvement.

I'm not having brain tremors anymore, which I was having up to 100 times a day.
I have a lot less memory issues, and I'm starting to be able to remember when I do forget some stuff.
I've been using the Oura ring I have to monitor my sleep too, and since I've started taking these pills, my sleep has came back to somewhat normal. Before, I could wake up up to 20 times a night.

So yeah, I'm 'self-diagnosed', but I'm getting better and better every day. Hopefully it still keeps up.
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:43 am So yeah, I'm 'self-diagnosed', but I'm getting better and better every day. Hopefully it still keeps up.
I think that I speak both for myself and others when I say, Oh Yeah! I'm so glad that you're feeling better.

Going forward, maybe see a nutritionist / dietician instead of a doctor. They could suggest dietary changes to provide you what you need, or advise pros & cons about perpetual use of supplements. They may also be able to narrow down physiological causes, like organ or gland failures (IDK what it could or could not be!), and provide a referral to a doctor that would accept their expertise and diagnosis. In other words, not only get better but stay better, Alex.
AlexLachance

Thanks Tom and all the others for your kind words, it truely touches me.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Start new job Monday, Inventor !!!!!
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Frederick_Law wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:36 am Start new job Monday, Inventor !!!!!
Have you used it before?
Jason
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:34 pm Have you used it before?
He much prefers SW...
mattpeneguy

Tom G wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:42 pm I think that I speak both for myself and others when I say, Oh Yeah! I'm so glad that you're feeling better.

Going forward, maybe see a nutritionist / dietician instead of a doctor. They could suggest dietary changes to provide you what you need, or advise pros & cons about perpetual use of supplements. They may also be able to narrow down physiological causes, like organ or gland failures (IDK what it could or could not be!), and provide a referral to a doctor that would accept their expertise and diagnosis. In other words, not only get better but stay better, Alex.
@Tom G has a point. We are so blessed to have such a diet where our foods are fortified with vitamins that it's hard to have a deficiency. And it's rare. That's probably one of the reasons your docs missed it. They may never have run into it before. That's one of the reasons I suggested you shop around when you weren't getting any help from the ones you were seeing.
To get back to Tom's point, there may be something else going on here. If you can identify what the root cause is, then you're better off. Taking a supplement should be a short term solution, until you find the root cause.

And, it's always best to get those vitamins from food.
I did a quick search and these 5 foods are rich in thiamine:
  • Fortified breakfast cereal.
  • Pork.
  • Fish.
  • Beans, lentils.
  • Green peas.
So put them all in a blender and make a smoothie and have that for 1 meal a day. If done correctly is should have a nice appealing drab green color...
Be sure to add the fish first:

Good luck buddy!
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

mattpeneguy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:24 pm @Tom G has a point. We are so blessed to have such a diet where our foods are fortified with vitamins that it's hard to have a deficiency. And it's rare. That's probably one of the reasons your docs missed it. They may never have run into it before. That's one of the reasons I suggested you shop around when you weren't getting any help from the ones you were seeing.
To get back to Tom's point, there may be something else going on here. If you can identify what the root cause is, then you're better off. Taking a supplement should be a short term solution, until you find the root cause.

• Pork.
  • Fish.
  • Beans, lentils.
  • Green peas.
So put them all in a blender and make a smoothie and have that for 1 meal a day. If done correctly is should have a nice appealing drab green color...

Good luck buddy!
I showed this video to our high school Project Innovation class as an example of how to get a good infomercial message across. It covers all the bases (or basses).
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
AlexLachance

Frederick_Law wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:36 am Start new job Monday, Inventor !!!!!
Back to your roots Fred!
AlexLachance

mattpeneguy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:24 pm @Tom G has a point. We are so blessed to have such a diet where our foods are fortified with vitamins that it's hard to have a deficiency. And it's rare. That's probably one of the reasons your docs missed it. They may never have run into it before. That's one of the reasons I suggested you shop around when you weren't getting any help from the ones you were seeing.

• Pork.
  • Fish.
  • Beans, lentils.
  • Green peas.

Good luck buddy!
With Lockdown being lifted and hopefully mandate being lifted soon, I'll be able to get back to a regular life. Normally, I have quite the social life. I like going out to eat at a restaurant simply to chat with people so that's most likely what has been missing. Because of the lockdown, I couldn't go eat at restaurants anymore, so my diet kind of shortened to a more junk food one lol. Not being a great cook doesn't help haha

Summer's coming, and my dad said he'd prepare me a pork chop prescription :lol: but yeah I'll be adding pork to my diet for sure and will try to have cereals for breakfast every once in a while. I'm not a breakfast person, so I rarely eat breakfast, might have to force that one lol
mattpeneguy

DennisD wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:48 pm I showed this video to our high school Project Innovation class as an example of how to get a good infomercial message across. It covers all the bases (or basses).
Unfortunately, if you watch closely it only covers one type of bass (and I'm not actually sure it is even a bass).

Kidding aside. That's what made it so funny, it was spot on.
mattpeneguy

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:10 am With Lockdown being lifted and hopefully mandate being lifted soon, I'll be able to get back to a regular life. Normally, I have quite the social life. I like going out to eat at a restaurant simply to chat with people so that's most likely what has been missing. Because of the lockdown, I couldn't go eat at restaurants anymore, so my diet kind of shortened to a more junk food one lol. Not being a great cook doesn't help haha

Summer's coming, and my dad said he'd prepare me a pork chop prescription :lol: but yeah I'll be adding pork to my diet for sure and will try to have cereals for breakfast every once in a while. I'm not a breakfast person, so I rarely eat breakfast, might have to force that one lol
Multivitamins may be cheap insurance. If you are short on B1, you may be short on others.

And don't take that as medical advice, I'm not a doctor, you should ask your doctor if they see any downside to the above, after describing your recent success.

As I posted above, we had a guy here have a seizure because his potassium was so low due to poor diet years ago. So, I hope you're right and it's the same thing.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:10 am Summer's coming, and my dad said he'd prepare me a pork chop prescription :lol: but yeah I'll be adding pork to my diet for sure and will try to have cereals for breakfast every once in a while. I'm not a breakfast person, so I rarely eat breakfast, might have to force that one lol
I eat breakfast every day, even if it's noon before it happens. I usually have a breakfast burrito, but I suspect you're just a touch too far north to get good ones.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Frederick_Law

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:34 pm Have you used it before?
Since it's first release ><

For now I'm CNC programmer, actually Turret Punch programmer.
They got new punch and software. Need someone to help set it all up and train new programmer.
Once that's done, I'll move to design and engineering.
I did missed the beats from the punch.
Testing the new software, MetaCAM and finding all the problems and improvements and request SPR.
Sounds familiar o[
mattpeneguy

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:48 am Since it's first release ><

For now I'm CNC programmer, actually Turret Punch programmer.
They got new punch and software. Need someone to help set it all up and train new programmer.
Once that's done, I'll move to design and engineering.
I did missed the beats from the punch.
Testing the new software, MetaCAM and finding all the problems and improvements and request SPR.
Sounds familiar
o[
Ya gotta have something that doesn't work correctly at the new job, since you won't be using SW...
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

The Return of In-Person SWUG Meetings!

MARISUG is meeting in-person next month, and our guest will be the grandest @TooTallToby. What a way to return! I am excited for it.
David Matula

Unread post by David Matula »

ohh i miss the good old days. When we used to be more active!
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

Saw this the other day on I-69 toward Port Huron/Sarnia. @AlexLachance, any idea who makes this? :D

KIMG0344.JPG
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
AlexLachance

mike miller wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:39 am Saw this the other day on I-69 toward Port Huron/Sarnia. @AlexLachance, any idea who makes this? :D

KIMG0344.JPG
I can even tell you that I personally drew and designed that one :D UU
Glenn Schroeder

AlexLachance wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:43 am I can even tell you that I personally drew and designed that one :D UU
I'd hate to have to buy a set of tires for it.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

AlexLachance

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:27 am I'd hate to have to buy a set of tires for it.
Same here ;;
AlexLachance

Good morning everyone, feeling better and better everyday, the side-effects from the meds are slowly wearing off.

With that said, I'll be assisting a short presentation from my VAR about 3DXperience this morning. Hopefully I can get some of my questions answered and have some reassurance.

How's everyone feeling towards Elon Musk buying Twitter? Can someone explain to me why some people seem to be going ape $#!+ crazy over it?
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:23 am
How's everyone feeling towards Elon Musk buying Twitter? Can someone explain to me why some people seem to be going ape $#!+ crazy over it?
It seems like half of the country is convinced he is going to end free speech. The other half is convinced he is going to restore it.

My personal opinion? If an app on your cell phone is a threat to democracy, we've got bigger problems than who owns twitter.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Glenn Schroeder

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:23 am
How's everyone feeling towards Elon Musk buying Twitter?
I don't care.
AlexLachance wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:23 am Can someone explain to me why some people seem to be going ape $#!+ crazy over it?
I cannot.

mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

What's Twitter?
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:23 am How's everyone feeling towards Elon Musk buying Twitter? Can someone explain to me why some people seem to be going ape $#!+ crazy over it?
I like lies and the lying liars that twatter them. Free disinformation Speech for all because I can't do all that thinking myself.

I'm glad you're feeling better, Alex.
Frederick_Law

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:23 am How's everyone feeling towards Elon Musk buying Twitter? Can someone explain to me why some people seem to be going ape $#!+ crazy over it?
Form what I had read, they're afraid Elon will make it a real free speech platform.
Where anything goes, hate, love, real, fake, all free.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Frederick_Law wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:12 pm Form what I had read, they're afraid Elon will make it a real free speech platform.
Where anything goes, hate, love, real, fake, all free.
Anything that does not align with my perception of reality is categorically fake and strictly forbidden from any form of communication. Thank you.
AlexLachance

Well, 30 minutes after making that post, I had another epileptic attack... Still no idea what causes it but now they think it could be a lack of phosphorus..
Glenn Schroeder

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:42 am Well, 30 minutes after making that post, I had another epileptic attack... Still no idea what causes it but now they think it could be a lack of phosphorus..
I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully they'll get it figured out soon.

Glenn Schroeder

There's a new youtube video of one of our recent projects. I'd hoped they might show my drawing, but of course that didn't happen. Anyway, here it is if anyone is interested.

Edit: The engineer in charge of the project did use my models for the simulations.

TooTallToby

Unread post by TooTallToby »

3 SPEEDMODELING CHALLENGES and an interview with the legend himself- Mark Schneider !

Today - 2 PM East Coast

matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

I stopped using twitter 10 years ago, shortly after I started. There are two kinds of people on twitter. People who REALLY want attention, and their co-dependent voyeurs. I watched a couple of colleagues destroy their careers tweeting personal and work issues that should remain private.

As for Elon, I'm generally an Elon fan, but I think twitter is kind of a distraction for him. Some people are ape $#!+ crazy over it because while Elon is a liberal, he's not liberal ENOUGH. He's also talking about free speech, when the people who have been running it just want to censor ideas that aren't liberal enough.

It used to be the other way around, right? Liberals were all about free speech at one time.

@AlexLachance Separately, best wishes on your health concerns.
AlexLachance

matt wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:49 am I stopped using twitter 10 years ago, shortly after I started. There are two kinds of people on twitter. People who REALLY want attention, and their co-dependent voyeurs. I watched a couple of colleagues destroy their careers tweeting personal and work issues that should remain private.

As for Elon, I'm generally an Elon fan, but I think twitter is kind of a distraction for him. Some people are ape $#!+ crazy over it because while Elon is a liberal, he's not liberal ENOUGH. He's also talking about free speech, when the people who have been running it just want to censor ideas that aren't liberal enough.

It used to be the other way around, right? Liberals were all about free speech at one time.

Thanks for the kind words.
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

matt wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:49 am I stopped using twitter 10 years ago, shortly after I started. There are two kinds of people on twitter. People who REALLY want attention, and their co-dependent voyeurs. I watched a couple of colleagues destroy their careers tweeting personal and work issues that should remain private.

Or, free hate and misinformation bs? Or, Elon ha$ an ego? ** ()
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
AlexLachance

The company that I work for, offered me this morning to help me any way they can so that I could go through private health care and speed things up. I'm overflowing with emotions and gratefulness.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

The politicians turn everything on it's head to keep "We the people" fighting each other, it's the "Us vs Them" mentality. I think most liberals will find that they are more conservative than they think, and most conservatives are more liberal than they think. As if anyone actual stops to think though.
Jason
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

I think that people have opinions. People have always had opinions. People used to be able to have different opinions and still behave civilly, sometimes reaching compromise to get things done in a manner least offensive to both viewpoints. One thing that is divergent and notable about today's opinions, though, is that there are organizations that maintain control by convincing people that their opinions are the only correct opinions, and technology used to reinforce this by repetition to willing viewers, and therefore anything disagreeable is inconceivable and abhorrent. Then, provide that inflexible opinion a megaphone, and everyone can shout out how right they are, and demonstrate how limited and wrong they ALL are, no matter what opinions they may have or support. Pick an exclusive diametric side, now it doesn't matter which side or topic or flavor, and then you can't grow your view to encompass more than you already know, so that both sides have blinders and can't even try to comprehend the full complexity of life in society.

This criticism of the manipulation interaction of real people's real opinions doesn't even approach the issue of non-persons with opinions, or true bad actors with malicious intent which direct the bots.

I don't know if this much is already clear, but I choose not to participate in any of that. However, my non-participation does not negate the heavy influence of social media upon normal day-to-day interactions or broad influential movements that directly affect people's lives. I think this is why even non-participants still have strong opinions about Twitter. Oof, heavy. Maybe I need Rant font.
AlexLachance

Anyone thrilled for the announcement that will be made this afternoon? I wonder what it is!

If you haven't heard, there's a major announcement supposedly to be made this afternoon about space:
https://www.republicworld.com/science/s ... eshow.html
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:07 am Anyone thrilled for the announcement that will be made this afternoon? I wonder what it is!

If you haven't heard, there's a major announcement supposedly to be made this afternoon about space:
https://www.republicworld.com/science/s ... eshow.html
Thank you for the tip!

It was announced this hour. They released the 1st image of the supermassive black hole at the center (or is it middle?) of the Milky Way galaxy, Sagittarius A.
You can easily find the image now online. Spoiler, it looks like another glowy orange donut (very similar as the same Event Horizon Telescope showed us about two years ago for the 1st image of another black hole), as we see its accretion disk.

AlexLachance

Tom G wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:58 am Thank you for the tip!

It was announced this hour. They released the 1st image of the supermassive black hole at the center (or is it middle?) of the Milky Way galaxy, Sagittarius A.
You can easily find the image now online. Spoiler, it looks like another glowy orange donut (very similar as the same Event Horizon Telescope showed us about two years ago for the 1st image of another black hole), as we see its accretion disk.

That image you refer to has been leaked a little while ago, so I think there's more to it.

If it ever picks your interest:
https://bgr.com/science/nasa-video-visu ... RZ9wm4cI_Y
Glenn Schroeder

AlexLachance wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:13 am That image you refer to has been leaked a little while ago, so I think there's more to it.
Maybe we've been contacted by beings from Proxima Centauri?

AlexLachance

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:17 am Maybe we've been contacted by beings from Proxima Centauri?
Lol I was a bit septic when I first read about an announcement, thinking it was most likely going to be something feeble like "The sun is bigger then we thought"

I edited my post and added another link to a rendering by Nasa of the absorption/obliteration of a star by a black hole if you'd like to view it.
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

Product claiming to be the "World's First 3D Password Manager"
In Brief: it manages passwords for you, but your key to access this resource is entered by choosing four objects in order within a virtual 3D room.

I think that this link should begin at the desired timestamp, but the applicable part starts at 1:02 and lasts about 11 seconds. There's a whole bunch of other videos for this product of course. I didn't watch them all but found a moment where it demonstrates the 3D environment, i.e. room.

Personally, I'm increasingly interested in utilizing my design skills for both Digital Twins and the Metaverse (and seeking the learning paths to achieve this). This above is kind of a teaser tech, a bridge app, about as visually complicated as the old game Myst, but useful to its purpose.
mattpeneguy

Tom G wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:03 am Product claiming to be the "World's First 3D Password Manager"
In Brief: it manages passwords for you, but your key to access this resource is entered by choosing four objects in order within a virtual 3D room.

I think that this link should begin at the desired timestamp, but the applicable part starts at 1:02 and lasts about 11 seconds. There's a whole bunch of other videos for this product of course. I didn't watch them all but found a moment where it demonstrates the 3D environment, i.e. room.

Personally, I'm increasingly interested in utilizing my design skills for both Digital Twins and the Metaverse (and seeking the learning paths to achieve this). This above is kind of a teaser tech, a bridge app, about as visually complicated as the old game Myst, but useful to its purpose.
I think I'll hold out for a 4D password manager...

I'm curious how secure they can make it. They can make all this visual complexity to make it hard for someone to access your login from their "portal" by guessing the objects, but what about them getting into the network and stealing it from the db where it's stored?

BTW, is your avatar a suggestion?
AlexLachance

I'm supposed to be leaving for a one week fishing trip on sunday, but we just got a phone call that the road leading to where we were going up north was washed up because of rain, so our trip just got cancelled... We'll figure something out to still leave for another trip somewhere, it's just, very very last minute...

What a pain though, I'm eagerly waiting the week off to let go and relax.