Tab & Slot in Multiple parts

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
jmpratt
Answers: 0

Tab & Slot in Multiple parts

Unread post by jmpratt »

When I have multiple instances of a part in an assembly and I go in to configure a Tab & Slot feature on one of them. The Tab gets copied into the other instances of that part, but those copied Tabs do not have corresponding Slots like the first part.

Is there a way to create the slots for every instance of the part with the tabs?
DLZ_SWX_User

Re: Tab & Slot in Multiple parts

Unread post by DLZ_SWX_User »

I assume that you are talking about Multi-Bodied parts because I have not found a way to use the tab & slot feature in an assembly.

The only way we have found to make this work somewhat, is to create a corresponding cut extrude over the current slot & then patterning that along with the part. Probably not the most rebuild friendly and may cause other issues in large multi body parts that I don't know.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

jmpratt wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:50 pm When I have multiple instances of a part in an assembly and I go in to configure a Tab & Slot feature on one of them. The Tab gets copied into the other instances of that part, but those copied Tabs do not have corresponding Slots like the first part.

Is there a way to create the slots for every instance of the part with the tabs?
I'm not understanding or this doesn't make sense. You have multiple instances of the same part in an assembly and you want some instances to have tabs but other instances of the same part shouldn't have the tab? Then it's not the same part. If one has tabs and the other doesn't then they may be similar but certainly not the same part.
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

jmpratt wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:50 pm Is there a way to create the slots for every instance of the part with the tabs?
No as Tab and Slot works on in-context modelling.
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

DLZ_SWX_User wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:33 am I assume that you are talking about Multi-Bodied parts because I have not found a way to use the tab & slot feature in an assembly.
Edit the parent part while you are in assembly and then you can add the tabs to that part and can select other part to add the slots.
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

gupta9665 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:36 pm Edit the parent part while you are in assembly and then you can add the tabs to that part and can select other part to add the slots.
... But, you should add that this adds in-context relations, just to be clear about it. The function is really meant to be a multi-body feature.
KevinC
Answers: 1

Unread post by KevinC »

What about just adding the tabs & slots and then add a tabbed/slotted configuration to both affected parts and the default config without tabs/slots.
Then select the configs according in the assembly.
KevinC
Answers: 1

Unread post by KevinC »

If you don't mind breaking away the original parts, you can also use Make Independent on the tabbed/slotted instances.
TooTallToby

Unread post by TooTallToby »

jmpratt wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:50 pm When I have multiple instances of a part in an assembly and I go in to configure a Tab & Slot feature on one of them. The Tab gets copied into the other instances of that part, but those copied Tabs do not have corresponding Slots like the first part.

I think I know what your talking about - and no, it doesn't. The in context feature is based on the location of the first instance of the TAB SLOT in the assembly. So you'll have to manually model the slots in the other parts, where the TAB's are used.
Steeve

Unread post by Steeve »

I found a way.

- Create your tab and slot with the main part and copy1 of the 2nd part, as normal.
- Insert your copy2 of the 2nd part in the assembly, mate it to the main part as normal.
- In FeatureManager, right click on the Tab and Slot1 you created with the copy1, supress it (not delete, supress).
- The tabs on the copy1 will dissapear, but not the slots on the main part. It's OK.
- Create your tab and slot with the copy2, as normal. The settings are supposed to still be the same, just select faces and edge. The height drop menu returns to up to surface but if you select Offset from surfaceyour setting is supposed to be here. I always offset the tab 0.1" inside the slot for welding purpose.
- The Tab and Slot2 will be created and the tabs on copy1 will reapear.

I really prefer this method as using sheet metal function. It works really good, I laser cut my parts this way. I'm using Solidworks 2022.