SOLIDWORKS BUG! (Exporting files with curves)

dseibel
Answers: 0

SOLIDWORKS BUG! (Exporting files with curves)

Unread post by dseibel »

Just tossing this out there to help inform others of the bug.

When exporting a file containing curves (that were created in Solidworks using the Project Curves tool/command) as a step or iges file, using an output coordinate system other than the default, Solidworks will use the selected csys for outputting everything EXCEPT the curves...the default csys will be used for the curves. So when someone reads in the step or iges file, the curves will no longer be located correctly in relation to the part.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: SOLIDWORKS BUG! (Exporting files with curves)

Unread post by AlexLachance »

dseibel wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:04 pm Just tossing this out there to help inform others of the bug.

When exporting a file containing curves (that were created in Solidworks) as a step or iges file, using an output coordinate system other than the default, Solidworks will use the selected csys for outputting everything EXCEPT the curves...the default csys will be used for the curves. So when someone reads in the step or iges file, the curves will no longer be located correctly in relation to the part.
Out of curiosity, why would you use a different coordinate system then the default to export...?
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

dseibel wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:04 pm Just tossing this out there to help inform others of the bug.

When exporting a file containing curves (that were created in Solidworks) as a step or iges file, using an output coordinate system other than the default, Solidworks will use the selected csys for outputting everything EXCEPT the curves...the default csys will be used for the curves. So when someone reads in the step or iges file, the curves will no longer be located correctly in relation to the part.
Hello Doug, I just tested 2019sp5/2020sp5/2021sp5/2022sp3 and it works fine. :ugeek:
Is there something you can show?
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
dseibel

Unread post by dseibel »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:17 pm Out of curiosity, why would you use a different coordinate system then the default to export...?
Several reasons. Modifying imported data, and the origin of the imported data is not the origin desired/required by the CNC dept. Need to output files in different orientations for the CNC dept. Basically if, for any reason whatsoever, the origin of the model isn't the origin desired by the CNC dept...and the CNC department consists of button-monkeys that don't know how to deal with such issues using the CNC programming software and the company policy is that Design must supply CNC with files that have the origin in the location desired by the CNC dept.
dseibel

Unread post by dseibel »

zxys001 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:28 pm Hello Doug, I just tested 2019sp5/2020sp5/2021sp5/2022sp3 and it works fine. :ugeek:
Is there something you can show?
The attached zip file contains a Solidworks 2022 file, and the iges files created by exporting it using the default origin as well as the CNC csys. Open all three files...the issue should be quite obvious. Be sure to turn off 3D Interconnect when opening/importing the iges files using Solidworks. If 3D Interconnect is enabled, Solidworks will not read in the curves in a file...another Solidworks bug.
Attachments
Solidworks 2022 Curve Export Bug.zip
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 35 times
AlexLachance

dseibel wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:46 pm Several reasons. Modifying imported data, and the origin of the imported data is not the origin desired/required by the CNC dept. Need to output files in different orientations for the CNC dept. Basically if, for any reason whatsoever, the origin of the model isn't the origin desired by the CNC dept...and the CNC department consists of button-monkeys that don't know how to deal with such issues using the CNC programming software and the company policy is that Design must supply CNC with files that have the origin in the location desired by the CNC dept.
Oh, I understand. Thanks for the explanation! We don't have a CNC where I work which is why I've never ran into this :P

Edit: Why not "move body" to have the file's origin at the desired place..? This way you wouldn't have to jerk around with a new origin to define in your exporting process..?
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Because you still want the part at 0,0,0 for your purposes.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance

SPerman wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:52 pm Because you still want the part at 0,0,0 for your purposes.
It could still be there for your purposes, one config for your purposes, another one for the CNC that moves the body to have the origin at the CNC's desired location.

Or am I missing something here..?

It would give the desired result, with a different approach. Maybe he doesn't want to deal with configs though.
dseibel

Unread post by dseibel »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:35 pm Oh, I understand. Thanks for the explanation! We don't have a CNC where I work which is why I've never ran into this :P

Edit: Why not "move body" to have the file's origin at the desired place..? This way you wouldn't have to jerk around with a new origin to define in your exporting process..?
Regarding using the Move Body command...
Because it does exactly what it says...it moves bodies, not curves. Also, the Move Body command can really jerk you over depending on how it is assembled into an assembly. It can cause a domino effect of failing features & mates. But the big reason is because it will only move bodies. Curves stay exactly where they were. Making it rather useless as a "hack" to deal with this Solidworks bug.
AlexLachance

dseibel wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:59 pm Regarding using the Move Body command...
Because it does exactly what it says...it moves bodies, not curves. Also, the Move Body command can really jerk you over depending on how it is assembled into an assembly. It can cause a domino effect of failing features & mates.
Understood! Sorry for the disturbance just trying to understand to see if I could come up with an idea lol
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

dseibel wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:46 pm and the CNC department consists of button-monkeys that don't know how to deal with such issues using the CNC programming software
;;
And it's company policy to let them program CNC?
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

So, the curves seem to come in correct, no?
And, as Alex suggest (but you said no) rotate the bodies?
Or maybe apply another 180deg coordsys and use that as the export?
Yeah, I don't have/use the CNC module.
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

zxys001 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:08 pm So, the curves seem to come in correct, no?
Or maybe apply another 180deg coordsys and use that as the export or pre-rotate (config) the bodies 180 before exporting?
dseibel

Unread post by dseibel »

zxys001 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:08 pm So, the curves seem to come in correct, no?
Or maybe apply another 180deg coordsys and use that as the export?
No, the curves do not come in correct. Actually, the more accurate statement is that the curves do not EXPORT correct. Major issue.
RichGergely

Unread post by RichGergely »

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:01 pm ;;
And it's company policy to let them program CNC?
Got to agree there, how can you trust a cnc programmer if they can't even move a part to the orientation they want to machine to. It's really basic and quite frankly I have never met someone who programs CNC's who can't do this.