Is there a way to "Save As" with drawing blocks?

ncowley
Answers: 0

Is there a way to "Save As" with drawing blocks?

Unread post by ncowley »

I have been exploring some ways to use drawing blocks to create custom pneumatic diagrams. Essentially, we want to create a custom bank of our standard pneumatic parts with the information relative to us in the form of blocks. Then we can drag and drop these blocks to quickly create the diagrams.

I have not been able to find an easy way to "save as" with blocks to create a new one with the same base format. Right now, I insert a block with the same format, explode it, change the information, remake the block, save the block, then delete the block I made (because it isn't the saved block - it just is "Block1," "Block2," etc.), and insert the saved block back into the document. Is there an easier way to do this?
Roasted By John
Answers: 1

Re: Is there a way to "Save As" with drawing blocks?

Unread post by Roasted By John »

The way I have done it was to start with a new sketch, insert the block, explode the block and highlight all the sketch lines and make block, then save that as a new name.
image.png
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

@ncowley

First, as a best practice, I would do all block creation/editing in a new drawing file with no views inserted and sheet scale set 1:1. Otherwise you can get into some weird scaling issues.

As for copying, why not copy the .SLDBLK file in your library and rename the new file. Then insert into the 1:1 blank drawing and edit the block, make the changes, exit the block, then right click, save and overwrite.. No sure its any faster, but you don't lose the attributes and insertion point.
Jason
Roasted By John

Good point @jcapriotti
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Do you not have a 2D CAD program available? I've created hydraulic schematics before and I'd never attempt that in SW if I could avoid it.
BTW, you can get SolidEdge and use their 2D drafting package for free. I haven't used it much because we have AutoCAD, but I think some of the people from the old forum use it.
ncowley
Answers: 0

Unread post by ncowley »

@Roasted By John We are looking to do it just in 2D drawings but I will keep that in mind for 3D modeling as well!

@jcapriotti So I did try copying the .SLDBLK file in my library, renaming it, and inserting it into the drawing but somehow (black magic maybe) it is still linked to the original file. If I edit one of them, it changes the other.... I noticed that if I only insert one of the files (copy or original), the "Definition" is correct, but once I also insert the other file, one of definitions changes to match the other. I don't know why or how it does that but it does! Once they are both inserted, they even show up under the same Block name in the "Blocks" folder.

@mattpeneguy We have looked a little bit into other 2D program options but once we have our standard library of blocks set up, it should be very quick and easy to put a 2D layout together in a SLDDRW.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

ncowley wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:20 pm
@jcapriotti So I did try copying the .SLDBLK file in my library, renaming it, and inserting it into the drawing but somehow (black magic maybe) it is still linked to the original file. If I edit one of them, it changes the other.... I noticed that if I only insert one of the files (copy or original), the "Definition" is correct, but once I also insert the other file, one of definitions changes to match the other. I don't know why or how it does that but it does! Once they are both inserted, they even show up under the same Block name in the "Blocks" folder.
Insert it into a clean drawing with no blocks in it. Until its fixed and resaved, adding to a drawing that has the original copy still in it will cause a conflict. Appears to be some internal details about its original name.
Jason
Roasted By John

A block is 2D not 3D - the same applies
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Roasted By John wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:36 pm A block is 2D not 3D - the same applies
Though, they should allow us to make 3D blocks! What are we working with 2D software here?