3DXW same old same old

KQuigley
Answers: 0

3DXW same old same old

Unread post by KQuigley »

Thoughts on 3DXW 2023….

I have none. I’ve never attended a “World” in person, seeing as they are always in the USA and I could never justify the time or cost just to attend a convention like that. Though Solidworks did call me one year and asked “what did I think of World? I said I’d never been, then the person (who I’m not going to name) said can I use you as a reference quote :lol:
I said yes, if you fly me out for next year’s event and pay for my time….which never happened.

But I did follow the main sessions on social media. The live tweets. The video feeds. Then when covid hit, they opened it up to all for free. So the last couple of years I actually attendee quite a few sessions and the “fireside chats with executives” where they actually slipped up and let me ask questions relating to 3DX. Last year I think GP got a bit annoyed my question slipped through…I saw the compere this time was not the same.

Anyway, this year, honestly, I was too busy and couldn’t be bothered as I thought it would be more of the same (which by all acounts it was).

Except on Day 1 GPB gets up and says “all solidworks users will have access to cloud services” and we can send cystomers a link so they can see the file online in a browser “like edrawings on steroids” or, more accurately, like actual e drawings saved in html format without having to download the file or save the file to a web host.

Great. At last! Only taken over 10 years after I suggested this (GrabCAD Workbench did this 10 years ago). Fusion 360 has had this since day 1. Ditto Onshape. So not exactly new.

Then I watched the recording of the Fireside Chat with Executives…as usual with Dassault Solidworks nothing is ever what it seems. From the mouth of GPB himself “to access this you need to pay extra”….but what was not clear was if that access also required switching our perpetual on maintenance licenses to annual subscription.

Who knows.

I had a mini rant about it on their forum. I would genuinely like 60 mins face to face with the executive team to ask them the questions customers want answered that they never answer.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: 3DXW same old same old

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Hey Mr. Quigley, been a while! Hope all is well.

I didn't attend, though I will definetly check a few sessions such as Alin's.

Don't hold your breath for answers. I've always wondered if being on the Stock market has affected executive guidances.
CRT-CAD-DeGauss

Unread post by CRT-CAD-DeGauss »

cloud product announcement, source: YouTube
cloud product announcement, source: YouTube
In DS-speak, this means that every traditional desktop license of SOLIDWORKS must buy the extra roles of 3DEXPERIENCE needed to connect to their cloud. They're going to charge an additional $300/user/yr starting July 1, 2023. (Retail price is $1500) Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8CAqGWmeSw&t=28500s

GP mentions "coming onto a maintenance plan". DS management hates cloud churn, so look for a minimum commitment greater than 1 year...

Ultimately, DS wants to get everyone onto full 3-mo or 12-mo SaaS with "3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS" or "SOLIDWORKS Cloud" (the latter not being SolidWorks, in any way, shape or form)
CAD options 2023, Source: YouTube
CAD options 2023, Source: YouTube
Arthur NY

Unread post by Arthur NY »

Honestly the only reason to go is to connect and network with people at the event. In total I've been about 18 times and while the individual sessions are second with the general sessions being much more about blowing more 3DXP smoke up your A$$!!!

It's just horrible how much they shove it down users throats AND it's by far THE most confusing platform to even try to begin to engage with.

This years numbers probably topped out around 5K-6K users there. In comparison in 2020 the big night even held down two blocks on Broadway in downtown Nashville with every bar/restaurant having something for attendees to do. This year it was only 3 bar/restaurants.

I'm not sure if there's a presenter vetting committee but there were quite a few individual sessions where the presenter was less than stellar. I mean scale of 1-10, close to a 2. The information was either quiet obvious if you just opened the software or knew even an ounce of parametric modeling. In one session about 3D Printing I was so close to wanting to take the mic away because the information was from 5+years ago. Like if this is going to be your first time presenting at the conference then you should have to show it some DS people who are familiar with the topic first.

Overall it's still about the users and catching up but I'll also say that a lot of my old skool friends were no where to be seen......
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

There is definitely a vetting committee, but quality of presentation probably isn't something they care about.
Steven Billeter wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:18 pm I know there have been many questions about my presentation that was supposed to occur at the 3DExperience conference. At the last minute the presentation was pulled. That is all of information I can convey at this time.

viewtopic.php?p=17929&hilit=presentation#p17929
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

SPerman wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:49 pm There is definitely a vetting committee, but quality of presentation probably isn't something they care about.
viewtopic.php?p=17929&hilit=presentation#p17929
I remember that, and after seeing this it occurred to me that I hadn't seen anything from him in a while. I checked and he hasn't posted here since.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
TooTallToby

Unread post by TooTallToby »

This is the first time in a long time that I didn't get to go and present.
It's a bummer for sure, but I love sharing what I've learned with the SW community, so I am hosting a Tips and Tricks next week on livestream (this is basically what I WOULD have shown, if I had been able to attend :-) )

Attend the livestream if you can (and ask questions), watch the recording afterwards (same link) - see you next week!
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Arthur NY wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:23 pm I'm not sure if there's a presenter vetting committee but there were quite a few individual sessions where the presenter was less than stellar. I mean scale of 1-10, close to a 2. The information was either quiet obvious if you just opened the software or knew even an ounce of parametric modeling. In one session about 3D Printing I was so close to wanting to take the mic away because the information was from 5+years ago. Like if this is going to be your first time presenting at the conference then you should have to show it some DS people who are familiar with the topic first.
I bet since change to "3dx World" instead of "SolidWorks World", and shoving more 3dx content into, they have just lost the core user base and presenters they used to have. I've considered presenting in the past, but have no desire anymore. I could've went this year since the conference was only 3 hours away, but again, no interest.
Jason
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

CRT-CAD-DeGauss wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:28 pm image.png

In DS-speak, this means that every traditional desktop license of SOLIDWORKS must buy the extra roles of 3DEXPERIENCE needed to connect to their cloud. They're going to charge an additional $300/user/yr starting July 1, 2023. (Retail price is $1500) Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8CAqGWmeSw&t=28500s

GP mentions "coming onto a maintenance plan". DS management hates cloud churn, so look for a minimum commitment greater than 1 year...

Ultimately, DS wants to get everyone onto full 3-mo or 12-mo SaaS with "3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS" or "SOLIDWORKS Cloud" (the latter not being SolidWorks, in any way, shape or form)
image.png
So far I've only seen the quote from DS, and interpretations of what people think that means. If there is clarification somewhere, I would appreciate a link. If they are going to charge me for cloud services I do not intend to use, and/or force me into a 3 year contract, the conversion to Solid Edge will begin quicker than anticipated.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Arthur NY wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:23 pm . . . I'm not sure if there's a presenter vetting committee but there were quite a few individual sessions where the presenter was less than stellar. I mean scale of 1-10, close to a 2. The information was either quiet obvious if you just opened the software or knew even an ounce of parametric modeling. In one session about 3D Printing I was so close to wanting to take the mic away because the information was from 5+years ago. Like if this is going to be your first time presenting at the conference then you should have to show it some DS people who are familiar with the topic first.

Overall it's still about the users and catching up but I'll also say that a lot of my old skool friends were no where to be seen......
I still remember going to one years ago, when the feature that allows you to place a Virtual Sharp directly in the Quick Dimension feature was new. As part of her presentation she was going to show us how to use it, but she didn't know how to use it. Fortunately there were several people in the audience who did, and helped her out.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"