Customer Portal Being Removed

mp3-250
Answers: 18

Re: Customer Portal Being Removed

Unread post by mp3-250 »

dave.laban wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:31 am They've almost made this bit make sense as they now come from the main SW website; https://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/downloads.htm
I cannot access the download as my 3dx account and my sw account does not match thr mail address because ds forgot to update that field and I am Locked out editing as well. wooo
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

costumer portal was already garbage. good riddance
Ryan-3DS
Answers: 0

Unread post by Ryan-3DS »

bnemec wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:38 am It's funny how the old "Change is inevitable.", "Change is healthy sign of life.", "Status Quo is dying.", "If you're not moving forward you're dying." quotes come out to justify changes that are not mutually beneficial.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gasligh ... e&ie=UTF-8
Another good one is... "Only dead fish go with the flow." grumph
Frank_Oostendorp
Answers: 2

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

Ryan-3DS wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:45 pm Another good one is... "Only dead fish go with the flow." grumph
Change to make things work safer, better and faster we all see as a benefit. But Dassault seems stuck in the preliminary fase of making it work at all. ;;
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

No one thought being "disruptive" was a good thing before the marketing guys decided to redefine the word.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Frank_Oostendorp

And now my Desktop version of SolidWorks has problems with the 3DEXperience. That's new. <()>
image.png
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Frank_Oostendorp wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:05 am And now my Desktop version of SolidWorks has problems with the 3DEXperience. That's new. <()>

image.png
Even SolidWorks won't go with the flow :lol:
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

You are experiencing 3DEXPERIENCE.
Fasten your seat belt, it'll be disruptive.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Ryan-3DS wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:45 pm Another good one is... "Only dead fish go with the flow." grumph
I'm a big believer in change if it makes something better, but if not I've always been a fan of "If it ain't broke don't fix it."
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
jmongi

Unread post by jmongi »

Core functionality of the previous platform does not work on the new platform. FULL STOP

That has nothing to do with complexity, change, or whatever condescending and trite sayings are being trotted out by DSS representatives on this forum. I applaud Alex's conciliatory tone and discourse and generally agree that civil conversation trumps vitriolic ranting any day. However, that conversation requires that the party causing the rancor be self-aware enough not to post pithy sayings and generally talk down to those who hold a differing opinion.

Imagine I promised a fully functional simulation model to a customer. I assured that customer that the new simulation model was better and an improvement over the one they had been using. Now imagine that I finally provided the new model without clear communication. It also happens that the new model is broken and buggy because I decided to send him or her the files before they were fully tested and functional. Not only that, but I simultaneously removed their ability to use their old simulation model at the same time. Finally, I wasn't careful enough and didn't take adequate steps to protect their old simulation data from corruption.

Do you think they are going to care that model simulation is difficult and complex (true!)? Do you think they care that future functionality will be super, duper amazing and easy (subjective, but let's say true for the sake of argument)? Do you think I've earned the benefit of the doubt after 3 months of failing to provide a functional model while also corrupting their previous data? Are they going to be real receptive if I start lecturing the customer on the pitfalls and difficulties of change and how they just don't fully understand my grand plans? NO!!

All they want is the model that was promised in fucntional working condition and that it was my duty to provide.

Running a customer portal may be complex, but understanding why end users are upset at the development and deployment of this currently broken platform is simple.
Designated Pot-Stirrer
Ryan-3DS

Frank_Oostendorp wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:05 am And now my Desktop version of SolidWorks has problems with the 3DEXperience. That's new. <()>

image.png
That's a marketplace app..honestly, I don't know much about that. But you might want to see if you are using Machine activation or online activation. It is my understanding that the online activation is/was phased out. If you have issues, you will need to connect with your VAR for resolution.
Frank_Oostendorp

@Ryan-3DS I know exactly what is going on. The 3DExperience Marketplace app was switched on as an add-in in my desktop version of SolidWorks without my permission or knowledge. The short problem of the online 3DExperience platform today blocked the start of the on-premise software. Amazing progress, isn’t it, Ryan? Inevitable change you called it.
Ryan-3DS

Frank_Oostendorp wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:19 pm @Ryan-3DS I know exactly what is going on. The 3DExperience Marketplace app was switched on as an add-in in my desktop version of SolidWorks without my permission or knowledge. The short problem of the online 3DExperience platform today blocked the start of the on-premise software. Amazing progress, isn’t it, Ryan? Inevitable change you called it.
Glad to know the issue was defined and at least resolved for you.
Frederick_Law

All SW user should have known to turn off Addin after install.
That's definitely a user error.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

@Frank_Oostendorp FIFY
Frank_Oostendorp wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:19 pm @Ryan-3DS I know exactly what is going on. The 3DExperience Marketplace app was switched on as an add-in in my desktop version of SolidWorks without my permission or knowledge. The short problem all morning outage of the online 3DExperience platform today blocked the start of the on-premise software. Amazing progress, isn’t it, Ryan? Inevitable change you called it.

@Ry-guy Don't worry, we contacted our VAR. Not much they can do about it either. There's no changing DSS's disruptive plans for the future.
Frederick_Law

It's a Disruptive Innovation, Disrupting user is expected.
Isn't that what you want when you buy into Disruptive Innovation?
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:31 am It's a Disruptive Innovation, Disrupting user is expected.
Isn't that what you want when you buy into Disruptive Innovation?
Simulia is platform only now, I guess. We were grossly over sold on what Solidworks Sim is capable of. "Fool me once..." and projects are in motion expecting to have simulation tools, well, they were supposed to be in motion but mostly been spinning out with the lack of capability in Solidworks Sim.
I wasn't involved in the Simulia purchase. Probably because they knew my attitude about DSS PaaS and knew I would just say it's a dumb idea and don't trust anything they tell you. "Fool me twice..."
Frederick_Law

Sounds like an offshore online store.
We shipped it, wait for it.
A few years later .....
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

bnemec wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:47 am Simulia is platform only now, I guess. We were grossly over sold on what Solidworks Sim is capable of. "Fool me once..." and projects are in motion expecting to have simulation tools, well, they were supposed to be in motion but mostly been spinning out with the lack of capability in Solidworks Sim.
I wasn't involved in the Simulia purchase. Probably because they knew my attitude about DSS PaaS and knew I would just say it's a dumb idea and don't trust anything they tell you. "Fool me twice..."
You get what you pay for. We've used Swx Simulation Standard and Premium for 20 years and it works for 90% of what we do. Anything else and we buy Abaqus for the time needed. It costs far more than Sim. But you need what you need when you need it.
Jason
Glenn Schroeder

jcapriotti wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:40 am You get what you pay for. We've used Swx Simulation Standard and Premium for 20 years and it works for 90% of what we do. Anything else and we buy Abaqus for the time needed. It costs far more than Sim. But you need what you need when you need it.
They use LS-Dyna here. It's over my head, but it seems to be some pretty serious software.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

All of the heavy hitter FEA guys I know use Ansys. NX used Nastran, but the guys with an FE background constantly complained that it wasn't Ansys.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
dave.laban
Answers: 4

Unread post by dave.laban »

I used Ansys at an old job and it was absolutely dreamy to use. For how powerful it was the UI made it so clear how to achieve what you wanted, it really is an absolute triumph of a software package. I'd been on Abaqus for a bit before and I could never get past the "unitless" UI where you just had to know exactly what units you were working in / seeing at all times.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

After yelling at the phone for 1 hour with my VAR support I got My Solidworks account abd my 3D experience one linked together after months of... burning dumpster situation

the last straw was the deactivation of my administative image due to one of my profiles been locked by the other one.

The VAR started with the migration tirade, but I stopped them immediately and asked to make thIngs work again... having 100 license and a broke system is not funny anymore dear DS.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

I had my problems sorted out quickly when I yelled at the phone and explained them their "platform" just deactivared my administrative image deployed to 100 workstations and their solution (something like download it again and reinstall) was... ehm suboptimal.
In a week they had all the accounts sorted out.
I had problems since october 2022 when I first inquired my var about it.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

Imagine to do mechanical engineering like they develop their software and portal... well it's basically the F35 on steroids.
AlexLachance

mp3-250 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:23 am I had my problems sorted out quickly when I yelled at the phone and explained them their "platform" just deactivared my administrative image deployed to 100 workstations and their solution (something like download it again and reinstall) was... ehm suboptimal.
Hit up someone at SolidWorks about your VAR giving you awful support like this. I did this a few years ago for my VAR and it certainly straightened things out. They are now one of the leading Canadian VAR's. (Not because of me but because they started doing their actual job)
AlexLachance

That must be painful, I wonder if they even thought about the user end, how someone will find this quickly.
image.png
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

The old SPR / ER / SR was confusing. Now it sounds like they aren't even trying.
-
Frederick_Law

mp3-250 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:23 am I had my problems sorted out quickly when I yelled at the phone and explained them their "platform" just deactivared my administrative image deployed to 100 workstations and their solution (something like download it again and reinstall) was... ehm suboptimal.
3DEX Lock-01.jpg
They probably had one that set everyone to lowest level user by default.
Frederick_Law

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:24 am That must be painful, I wonder if they even thought about the user end, how someone will find this quickly.
Next phase is get users to send in pigeon with their ER.

They goal is simple.
If they don't get any ER SR, they don't have to fix anything.
It also mean the platform has no problem.
Looks much better in meetings.

"How many ER we got this quarter?
1 and it's resolved. 100% resolved rate."

You know, low hanging fruit.
dave.laban

Unread post by dave.laban »

SPerman wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:30 am The old SPR / ER / SR was confusing. Now it sounds like they aren't even trying.
This is honestly one of the few places where the majority have actually got what they asked for.
  • No longer need to be on active subs to submit an idea
  • Discussion is possible around idea to try and enhance / clarify it further
  • Transparency of vote quantity / idea popularity
That's not to defend all the drawbacks with what they've done (no continuation of idea number / history from old system, no ID number assigned to idea, users for some reason can't edit their first post for errors / omissions), but they did at least seem to listen on the fundamentals.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:36 am 3DEX Lock-01.jpg

They probably had one that set everyone to lowest level user by default.
I tried to elevate thr 3dx account (otherwise no access to the download section etc) registering our legit SN that was already registered with the SW customer portal and boom. locked.
from lack of account rights to loss of account rights.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:03 am Hit up someone at SolidWorks about your VAR giving you awful support like this. I did this a few years ago for my VAR and it certainly straightened things out. They are now one of the leading Canadian VAR's. (Not because of me but because they started doing their actual job)
the main problem with foreign companies like DS-SW in a country like Japan is that they are hijacked by big local firms (which I will not name) that offer not so bad call centers, but they also make a cartel so they do not compete against each other in their feuds In terms of costs.
According to my personal experience it was always the case.
At my old job place I asked for a simulation software and since there was anothet company supplying engineering software the distributor had to ask for the "consent" to sell us the package to their supposed competitor...
Frank_Oostendorp

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:46 am All SW user should have known to turn off Addin after install.
That's definitely a user error.
And of course I need to turn it of after installing a new service pack.
All SW users know it gets switched on.
Peter De Vlieger

Unread post by Peter De Vlieger »

"The inability to see ERs, SRs and SPRs may be explained by your permissions in the new system"
Nope.
i have full rights. I am the security admin. On top of that I had word of my VAR that previous ER's, SR's and SPR's won't be transferred. Which means that any and all of that data since we starting working with SW (back in '09) is GONE. The only thing we can see is when we make new ones.
If he is right ...... well Solidworks/Dassault have sunk to a new low of incompetence.

This year they raised prices considerably because euh.... reasons. So now we are not only paying to be Beta testers of their so called professional software we even have the privilege to be paying beta testers of their websites that have not been fully tested or checked and that even now, 3 months after starting wave 2 still have errors, stuff not explained, stuff that doesn't work or doesn't work smoothly.

What the <expletive deleted> <expletive deleted> <expletive deleted> amateur <expletive deleted> hour <expletive deleted> mess by those <expletive deleted> overpaid <expletive deleted> <expletive deleted> <expletive deleted>.

Here's an few examples :
-Anyone know what Is SOWP4 means on the DSX client care website? Even my VAR has no clue because it doesn't seem to do anything there for it's probably not important, they think.
-For one reason or another one of my colleagues was mentioned twice on the DSx website with 2 different profile ID numbers. To remove the duplicate I first had to make sure the other one didn't have a role assigned to it, then I could select one to be marked obsolete, which meant they both got marked as obsolete, and then I could add him once again from scratch and assign a role to him. And of course, all those marked as obsolete stay on the list, it isn't as if you can really remove them from the list, at least not in any way that I have been able to find so far.
-It used to be that any of your customer needs and questions would be located at customerportal.solidworks.com
The improvement is that now to do the exact same things you simple have to go to and log in to either, depanding on what you want to do:
dsxclient.3ds.com
or www.3ds.com
or www.solidworks.com
or eu1-partners-ifwe.3dexperience.3ds.com

*facepalm*
jcapriotti

I've been struggling on this new customer portal, it's definitely half baked and everything is scattered across several different looking and misfunctioning UI's.
image.png
Jason
john@layketool.com

Unread post by john@layketool.com »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:55 am That's odd, it works for me. Try logging in to their platform and then clicking on the link. Maybe that will unlock the door to haven.
I can access the downloads from the mySolidworks.com/support page. You have to log in using MySolidworks and then pick on support. Then you have to pick the desktop solutions to get to the downloads.
image.png
AlexB
Answers: 24

Unread post by AlexB »

I tried accessing this again today to check something and I can't access the customer portal via solidworks.com or the Admin portal via my.solidworks.com

It keeps saying I don't have an account with Solidworks and fails on the login screen, but I do have an account and it works on other login screens with the same credentials.

Do any of you have insight on where I should be accessing this now?

Edit: Nevermind, I finally found it after logging in to the 3DExperience trash-pile. Now I just don't know how to access the license assignment and user account add/edit/delete for our company network licenses... so fun!
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

AlexB wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:54 am I tried accessing this again today to check something and I can't access the customer portal via solidworks.com or the Admin portal via my.solidworks.com

It keeps saying I don't have an account with Solidworks and fails on the login screen, but I do have an account and it works on other login screens with the same credentials.

Do any of you have insight on where I should be accessing this now?

Edit: Nevermind, I finally found it after logging in to the 3DExperience trash-pile. Now I just don't know how to access the license assignment and user account add/edit/delete for our company network licenses... so fun!
I ran into the same thing last week. I couldn't get in to download SW. When they switched over, they never "authorized" me or something like that. My VAR fixed it in minutes. I'd reach out to them if I were you.

I'm still not sure how to get in and look at the license management. But, I'll deal with that when the time comes. I'm not going to watch some videos or some such garbage. If it's not trivial I will have my VAR walk me through it.
JSculley
Answers: 54

Unread post by JSculley »

mattpeneguy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:45 pm I ran into the same thing last week. I couldn't get in to download SW. When they switched over, they never "authorized" me or something like that. My VAR fixed it in minutes. I'd reach out to them if I were you.

I'm still not sure how to get in and look at the license management. But, I'll deal with that when the time comes. I'm not going to watch some videos or some such garbage. If it's not trivial I will have my VAR walk me through it.
Per a post from April on the Help forum for the support app, the ability to view/manage licenses will not be available until sometime in May. Tick.....tock....
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Is there a summary of solidworks websites and the purpose of each webiste? I can usually get where I need to go, but it involves multiple web sites and multiple logins.
-
AlexB
Answers: 24

Unread post by AlexB »

JSculley wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:22 pm Per a post from April on the Help forum for the support app, the ability to view/manage licenses will not be available until sometime in May. Tick.....tock....
Thanks, I'm starting to dig through some of those posts to glean information on the plans for transferring everything over. It's really cool of them to disable access without the new solution already in place.
john@layketool.com

Unread post by john@layketool.com »

AlexB wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:59 pm Thanks, I'm starting to dig through some of those posts to glean information on the plans for transferring everything over. [sarc]It's really cool of them to disable access without the new solution already in place.[/sarc]
Well that seems to be way DS likes to operate. They did the same thing when they took our home license and online licenses away and didn't have a plan to help the customers that used those as they were intended.
jcapriotti

AlexB wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:59 pm Thanks, I'm starting to dig through some of those posts to glean information on the plans for transferring everything over. It's really cool of them to disable access without the new solution already in place.
Blame the executives, we have this issue internally as well. They select unrealistic dates to go live with a new product or system, and then tell you that your bonus is on the line by not meeting dates that you had no input in. Then, even if you say it's not going to make the date, they force the release anyway. So the customers get a less than ready product, and the employees doing the actual work lose some part of their bonus for not meeting their "goals". Looks good to investors though. o[
Jason
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

SPerman wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:30 pm Is there a summary of solidworks websites and the purpose of each webiste? I can usually get where I need to go, but it involves multiple web sites and multiple logins.
AFAIK, that's the intended functionality.
AlexLachance

This is a reply I got from Matt explaining the whole thing. It's pretty absurd.

Matthew Hall wrote:Hi - hope you have a nice long weekend. I was just up in Montreal last night for a concert and on way back home, right before the bridge, passed a building with a big "LACHANCE" sign on the top - didn't know you are a real estate mogul!

I received a long email from a Brand colleague and I believe it is best boiled down to this TL;DR:

SOLIDWORKS Desktop downloads uses SOLIDWORKS ID
Everything else 3DEXPERIENCE or SOLIDWORKS uses 3DEXPERIENCE ID
We have several clouds and you need bookmarks to each/any that you have access to

Details:

There are still two different login systems:

3DEXPERIENCE ID
SOLIDWORKS ID

A majority of the SOLIDWORKS systems have been migrated to use 3DEXPERIENCE ID. All Dassault Systèmes and 3DEXPERIENCE platform systems have always used 3DEXPERIENCE ID.

The SOLIDWORKS Customer Portal and the SOLIDWORKS Admin Portal (currently inaccessible due to a systems change) still require a SOLIDWORKS ID login. The SOLIDWORKS Admin Portal will be replaced by a series of new tools, all of which will use 3DEXPERIENCE ID for authentication.

An issue you are up against is the conception that there is one giant cloud where all apps and services live. Some of this confusion is attributable to the similar UI - the same blue bar and Compass no matter the cloud logged into. However, we have several clouds – we have four pubic clouds: Customer, Academia, Partner, Makers. These clouds all use the same 3DEXPERIENCE ID credentials, but they don’t talk to each other in any way. They’re isolated, secure environments that have their own platforms and licensing.
image.png
A user uses the same badge (3DEXPERIENCE ID) to get into each building, but your badge needs access (licenses) to each building first.

The 3DSupport app is in the Customer Support platform, in the Partner Cloud. The Partner Cloud is where support activities and other activities related to our business take place. It has a unique URL: https://eu1-partners-ifwe.3dexperience.3ds.com. If the user owns active licenses of 3DS software, then their badge provides access to the lobby (the Customer Support platform) of this building (cloud). The apps and services in this cloud do not connect to apps and services in other clouds.
The public 3DSwym communities are in the Dassault Systèmes platform, in the Customer Cloud. The Customer Cloud is where customer licenses and apps exists. If a user buys 3DEXPERIENCE licenses, they reserve/rent a platform (floor) of the building, which is where their data lives.
It has a unique URL: https://eu1-ifwe.3dexperience.3ds.com.
The apps and services in this cloud do not connect to apps and services in other clouds.
We also have the Makers Cloud and the Academia Cloud. If someone buys 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers, they get access to that building. If they're a school and buy licenses, they get access to that building.
The SOLIDWORKS Customer Portal is in a different building on a different block, and it requires a different badge to get into.

So IOW: depending on licenses, one needs to bookmarks for several clouds (buildings).

Depending on when became active in the cloud, they may have a SOLIDWORKS ID and a 3DEXPERIENCE ID, or one or the other. If a user came to life with a SOLIDWORKS ID first, then the SOLIDWORKS ID credentials are one's 3DEXPERIENCE ID credentials; they are identical. In other words, the SOLIDWORKS ID badge gets the user into the 3DEXPERIENCE ID buildings that the user has licenses or access to.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

It is almost as if their goal was to make accessing their products as convoluted as possible.
-
Glenn Schroeder

@AlexLachance,

At the risk of sounding juvenile, did he explain what a "pubic cloud" (third line in the paragraph above the graphic) is, or should we use our imagination?

Peter De Vlieger

Unread post by Peter De Vlieger »

AND he completely forgot to mention anything about https://dsxclient.3ds.com/psp/CRPRD/EMP ... ab=DEFAULT
which first someone has to access to give all the users actual permission to access stuff
image.png
Especially take note of the line about service requests and who can create SR's and who can see SR's created not solely by themselves

What a way to make things 'easier', eh ?
rodface

Unread post by rodface »

Is anyone here with a company that is a Solidworks "MRN" account?

MRN stands for Multi-Reseller Network (I believe).

There is no single VAR that "owns" our licenses/serial numbers, and we have an account manager with Dassault.

My reason for asking is: I contacted our VAR who is local to me for more information about the changes we've been discussing in this thread. They told me that DS is migrating Solidworks accounts onto the 3DX platform, and the Fourth wave happened last weekend, May-13. Your account's migration coincides with "losing" the Customer Portal, as I understand it.

However, because my company is MRN, we are not part of these migrations as of yet; as for when it will happen -- they said I had to ask DS because they don't know.

So, looking to see if anyone else is in the same boat as us. I'm quite curious to know what their strategy is for accounts such as ours.