Customer Portal Being Removed

dave.laban
Answers: 4

Unread post by dave.laban »

Turns out DS are "retiring" the Customer Portal and transitioning everything there to, you guessed it, 3DExperience.

https://www.solidworks.com/support/tran ... care-order

I'm in "Wave 1" and just had it set up for me and DSx.Client Care is just as useable as the rest of 3DE. All of my existing SPRs and ERs are nowhere to be found. Even displaying user names consistently seems beyond them.
image.png
Tapani Sjöman
Answers: 0

Re: Customer Portal Being Removed

Unread post by Tapani Sjöman »

Can't find downloads any more. Where to look? :roll:
dave.laban

Tapani Sjöman wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:20 am Can't find downloads any more. Where to look? :roll:
They've almost made this bit make sense as they now come from the main SW website; https://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/downloads.htm
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

What an exciting turn of event!
AlexB
Answers: 24

Unread post by AlexB »

This is so exciting
KennyG
Answers: 7

Unread post by KennyG »

This reminds me of a Star Trek quote from the Borg...
Tapani Sjöman

dave.laban wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:31 am They've almost made this bit make sense as they now come from the main SW website; https://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/downloads.htm
My download -options are locked so can't make it any more :?
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Tapani Sjöman wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:20 am Can't find downloads any more. Where to look? :roll:
Pirate Bay ()
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

dave.laban wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:58 am Turns out DS are "retiring" the Customer Portal and transitioning everything there to, you guessed it, 3DExperience.

https://www.solidworks.com/support/tran ... care-order

I'm in "Wave 1" and just had it set up for me and DSx.Client Care is just as useable as the rest of 3DE. All of my existing SPRs and ERs are nowhere to be found. Even displaying user names consistently seems beyond them.

image.png
I mean... the customer portal is/was always a very unintuitive, messed up place with huge performance issues where you were barely able to find anything (even the re-sellers didn't know what to do).
Then 3DX came around and you finally started appreciating the customer portal because it was less confusing than the new stuff (still super slow though)!

Now they'll switch over and - as it was with the forum - everything is going to disappear or at least parts of it (ERs, SRs, SPRs etc.). I am honestly not surprised anymore.
Frank_Oostendorp
Answers: 2

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

If you can't convince your customers, you still can confuse them. 🤦‍♂️
Frederick_Law

Well, give some time for it all to sink in.
;;
dave.laban

Oh and it seems the new Enhancement Requests community has been launched. https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... 2sLG5y9Kig
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:43 am Well, give some time for it all to sink into the SWYMp.
;;
FIFY
Tapani Sjöman

Tapani Sjöman wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:14 am My download -options are locked so can't make it any more :?
An update: Don't know what happened, but I finally succeeded to login into new system and download SW2022 SP5.0. Hope it will be possible for future updates too. :)
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

dave.laban wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:45 am Oh and it seems the new Enhancement Requests community has been launched. https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... 2sLG5y9Kig
Will they lock the community after a few month like what they did for the SWYMP "IDEA" commmunity? /s
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
dave.laban

I have queried the staffing levels / resources they've committed to this endeavour (as well as a whole bunch of other things). Got a call with some DS folks next week so hopefully can extract some information from them.
Tapani Sjöman

New update: Can not access to the download area any more. This is pain! <()>
AlexLachance

Tapani Sjöman wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:55 am New update: Can not access to the download area any more. This is pain! <()>
https://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/downloads.htm
Tapani Sjöman

Thanks, Alex, for your symphaty. I can enter the download -page, log in to SW-support, but my download -option is locked and can not access downloads. grumph
AlexLachance

Tapani Sjöman wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:50 am Thanks, Alex, for your symphaty. I can enter the download -page, log in to SW-support, but my download -option is locked and can not access downloads. grumph
That's odd, it works for me. Try logging in to their platform and then clicking on the link. Maybe that will unlock the door to haven.
Tapani Sjöman

Well, don't know what went wrong, but now I can do it! Got some help from our VAR and found the right link again .. uuh!
Bradfordzzz

Unread post by Bradfordzzz »

https://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/downloads.htm

This doesn't let you download a full install of 2022 SP5 that I can see. it only allows you to update from older service packs.
Im trying to run a repair .. but it needs the original media to do so .. anyone have an Idea of how to get that?
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

Click on the manual download method
image.png
Then select SP0.0 in the from list
image.png
Bradfordzzz

TTevolve wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:40 am Click on the manual download method
image.png

Then select SP0.0 in the from list
image.png
Thanks TT !

I did try this .... but it just allows you to install different individual modules. Its not actually the full install file as was provided in the past.
This method doesn't help when doing a repair because the corrupt module might be in one of those individual modules, and not a part of the core.
Frederick_Law

Bradfordzzz wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:23 am This doesn't let you download a full install of 2022 SP5 that I can see. it only allows you to update from older service packs.
Im trying to run a repair .. but it needs the original media to do so .. anyone have an Idea of how to get that?
Contact VAR.
They'll give you a link for download.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Download the installation media first. Then apply service packs.
image.png
Jason
Bradfordzzz

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:51 pm Download the installation media first. Then apply service packs.

image.png
That works. Thanks
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

I was just in there a couple days ago. Tried this morning in response to viewtopic.php?t=2416 and it's gone. Almost no functionality in my default browser Edge Dev.
image.png
Never mind, must have been a bad link. The link I have bookmarked still takes me to customerportal.solidworks.com.
dave.laban

My direct KB search URL is still working at the moment too; https://kbsw.3ds.com/mashup-ui/page/sld ... portal_enu
Peter De Vlieger

Unread post by Peter De Vlieger »

Being in wave 2 it's clear that all the bugs and issues have been removed

Which is why the email was send to our head of IT (who doesn't work with any 3DS product) and make him security admin. No matter that he can't log in, can't reset his password because no matter where he looks he just doesn't receive the reset password email.
Which is why my VAR 'only' needed half an hour to get me logged in

Which is why , once in and being the security admin, I could see that barely half the people on the profiles list were actual Solidworks users in the company this while other people that have been with the company for a decade and whom had send plenty of SPR's weren't on the list at all.
Which is why that although I was the security admin I only had support restricted rights by default it seems which meant that I couldn't do anything much until i figured out that I should have support admin rights.

Which is why no one else had been marked with any rights at all.
Which is why I couldn't delete/remove/mark as obsolete those that shouldn't be on there, I still haven't figured it out even now with having full security and support admin rights.

Which is why the manual for the customer is written in such a fashion that you need to get familiar with tons of product specific jargon because of course customers don't like anything more than having to spend hours or even days on trying to figure out something that should be self explanatory.
Which is why a video to explain how to mark a profile as obsolete is very detailed and when you follow it step by step it only shows you what it should do not what it does do, namely nothing.
Which is why that in the manual : DSx.Client Care – User’s Guide DS and DS Customers only Page 17 How to Access to DSx.Client Care. Yep, let's explain how to access the site in a manual that you can only access while having access to the site and of which you can only find the title of the book once you are logged into the site and does that on page 17 of that said book.

Instead of 3DS it should just call itself SNAFU, sounds far more appropriate to me.
Who the <expletive deleted> does quality control at Dassault/3DS/Solidworks?
Why the <expletive deleted> do we have to be paying Beta-testers for every <expletive deleted> thing that they <expletive deleted> throw together?

And keep in mind, this is what happens in the second wave. Any half bit self respecting company would have addressed those issues before or at least during the 1st wave release.
dave.laban

Well they addressed the login time issue between Phase 1 and 2, it only took you half an hour to log in. It took me 26 days in Phase 1.
AlexLachance

Peter De Vlieger wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:09 am Being in wave 2 it's clear that all the bugs and issues have been removed

Which is why the email was send to our head of IT (who doesn't work with any 3DS product) and make him security admin. No matter that he can't log in, can't reset his password because no matter where he looks he just doesn't receive the reset password email.

Which is why , once in and being the security admin, I could see that barely half the people on the profiles list were actual Solidworks users in the company this while other people that have been with the company for a decade and whom had send plenty of SPR's weren't on the list at all.
Which is why that although I was the security admin I only had support restricted rights by default it seems which meant that I couldn't do anything much until i figured out that I should have support admin rights.

Which is why I couldn't delete/remove/mark as obsolete those that shouldn't be on there, I still haven't figured it out even now with having full security and support admin rights.

Which is why the manual for the customer is written in such a fashion that you need to get familiar with tons of product specific jargon because of course customers don't like anything more than having to spend hours or even days on trying to figure out something that should be self explanatory.
Which is why a video to explain how to mark a profile as obsolete is very detailed and when you follow it step by step it only shows you what it should do not what it does do, namely nothing.
Which is why that in the manual : DSx.Client Care – User’s Guide DS and DS Customers only Page 17 How to Access to DSx.Client Care. Yep, let's explain how to access the site in a manual that you can only access while having access to the site and of which you can only find the title of the book once you are logged into the site and does that on page 17 of that said book.

Instead of 3DS it should just call itself SNAFU, sounds far more appropriate to me.
Why the <expletive deleted> do we have to be paying Beta-testers for every <expletive deleted> thing that they <expletive deleted> throw together?

And keep in mind, this is what happens in the second wave. Any half bit self respecting company would have addressed those issues before or at least during the 1st wave release.
My hats off to you Peter, you're a lot more patient then I could ever dream to be.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Nothing has changed for me. Hopefully I'm in Wave 147.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Frederick_Law

Waving from the other side of the fence.

Wonder how they justify a website that need a book to explain how to use it.
Disruptive, it is.
Ry-guy
Answers: 1

Unread post by Ry-guy »

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:46 am Waving from the other side of the fence.

Wonder how they justify a website that need a book to explain how to use it.
Disruptive, it is.
You are not logging into a website! You are logging into a huge platform via a url address. And then being directed to an application. Big difference. About the same process as logging into Microsot Office and then launching Word or Excel and storing your data in OneDrive.
AlexLachance

Ry-guy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:33 am You are not logging into a website! You are logging into a huge platform via a url address. And then being directed to an application. Big difference. :?
Actually, he is logging into a website that has multiple platforms that are distinct from each other and each have their own bugs.
image.png
Besides, what does it matter if he's connecting to a website or platform? What distinction do you make?

Logging in should work, no matter if it's a website or a website redirecting to a platform. If it doesn't, then obviously the design is flawed/disruptive.

I currently have access to two Platforms. One should have been removed 3 months ago but surprisingly neither my VAR nor Dassault seem to know how to do so. Both profiles are distinctive so I can't access conversations from both profiles at the same time, I have to switch between platforms. My profiles are not linked together either so that means any switch done to the account isn't applied to all profiles, including passwords.

Which means you can have 2 different passwords to access different sections of the platform with the same username depending on what part of the platform you're trying to access. Lovely isn't it?
Frederick_Law

Ry-guy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:33 am You are not logging into a website! You are logging into a huge platform via a url address. And then being directed to an application. Big difference. About the same process as logging into Microsot Office and then launching Word or Excel and storing your data in OneDrive.
So that justify the requirement of reading a book before using the "platform"?
Which even DS support and employee have difficulty explaining to customer how this "platform" work.
Most don't need "instructions" to use OneDrive, Google Drive.
Most don't even know or care if it's a website, webapp, webportal or webwtf. ~~~~

Frederick_Law

The whole point of moving to browser is to remove the complexity of any "application" or "platform" from users.
A unified UI and controls.
This SWYM thing Innovation is nothing but Disruptive.
Yea, tag this.
Ry-guy

Unread post by Ry-guy »

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:46 pm So that justify the requirement of reading a book before using the "platform"?
Which even DS support and employee have difficulty explaining to customer how this "platform" work.
Most don't even know or care if it's a website, webapp, webportal or webwtf. ~~~~

Guys, you are still missing the point. Maybe I need to step back and define a platform. If we all have a common understanding of the words we are using it makes it much easier to communicate effectively.
3DEXPERIENCE is a business platform and also an industry cloud platform. Let's start with a definition of a platform:
[indent]A platform "is a group of technologies that are used as a base upon which other applications, processes or technologies are developed." (Tecnopedia.com) [/indent]

Industry Cloud Platform:
an "industry cloud platforms turn a cloud platform into a business platform, enabling an existing technology innovation tool to also serve as a business innovation tool,” says Gregor Petri, VP Analyst at Gartner. “They do so — not as predefined, one-off, vertical SaaS solutions — but rather as modular, composable platforms supported by a catalog of industry-specific packaged business capabilities.” (Gartner)

I think this is the best definition of what the 3DEXPERIENCE is..it's a modular, composable platform supporting a catalog of industry-specific packages and business capabilities. Each customer will utilize varying modular packages differently. You can use the platform to manage your data (as PDM-only tool). You can use business analysis and business object tracking tools for HR functions, Sales management systems for PLM, or many other things. Or mix and match and create value streams within your business using the platform.

With a little background let's reform our thoughts and questions.
Q: "So, that requires reading a book before using the platform?"
A: To some degree, yes, you need to understand the basics of the different modular components that are making up your business application.

Statement: "The whole point of moving to browser is to remove the complexity of any application or platform from users."
Rebuttal: No. The point of moving to a browser to provide a simple and secure method of accessing tools/software remotely from any device that supports the browser and is connected to the internet. What that tool looks like, its UI, and its controls are all custom to any application that is built using an HTML interface.
Ry-guy

Unread post by Ry-guy »

Peter De Vlieger wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:09 am Being in wave 2 it's clear that all the bugs and issues have been removed

I had the opportunity to view an internal presentation on the entire support services yesterday. I think I can explain some of the issues that you encountered. I asked if the presenters could create a smaller slide deck that talks about how the customers are setup in the DSx.Client Care system. This would easily explain a lot of issues customers are having after the migration.
Basically, everything you encountered was based on two things.
1. When migrating the accounts DS is not assuming or auto-assigning security and permission sets (Roles) to all the users. That opens up a whole legal can of worms.
2. Accounts are setup based on an single account which can have multiple sites.
3. Users can have separate profiles and those profiles are linked to a single email address.

You can see you can mix and match sites, and profiles. You can have a single user be an admin at one site and a viewer at another site. It is very flexible but with flexibility comes a level of complexity.
Your IT manager was more than likely setup as the system admin because that person's email was attached to the account "card". You had to contact your VAR because DS was NOT going to assign roles out of the blue. You would need to contact your VAR to get set up on either the account as an admin or a site admin level. Once that is done, the admin can then make the changes to the rest of the user accounts.

You mentioned many users assigned to the account that didn't use the account or were no longer with the company. Well, that's a business data problem if you ask me. I know that I had to do an audit of users in my previous PLM at least bi-annually. I can see how the migration tool took all users with a set group of mail server names and assigned those to the account card. Depending on how you want to manage your users you can leave them at the account level or move them to a site level.

I hope this helps explain what you encountered. This is my opinion based on what I learned in the presentation.
Let's start with how the companies are setup
Ry-guy

Unread post by Ry-guy »

bnemec wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:13 am I was just in there a couple days ago. Tried this morning in response to viewtopic.php?t=2416 and it's gone. Almost no functionality in my default browser Edge Dev.

image.png

Never mind, must have been a bad link. The link I have bookmarked still takes me to customerportal.solidworks.com.
I'm not totally sure but this might simply be a "roles" issue. Where your account is setup at the very basic role. You might want to check and see what role you have been assigned.
Ry-guy

Unread post by Ry-guy »

berg_lauritz wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:25 am I mean... the customer portal is/was always a very unintuitive, messed up place with huge performance issues where you were barely able to find anything (even the re-sellers didn't know what to do).
Then 3DX came around and you finally started appreciating the customer portal because it was less confusing than the new stuff (still super slow though)!

Now they'll switch over and - as it was with the forum - everything is going to disappear or at least parts of it (ERs, SRs, SPRs etc.). I am honestly not surprised anymore.
The inability to see ERs, SRs and SPRs may be explained by your permissions in the new system. You might want to check or check with your VAR to see what role/permissions you have and at what level (account or site).
OR...it might be that ERs, SRs and SPRs have not been ported over as of yet. Remember you are migrating from SW support systems into the much large DS corporate system that supports all the different brands like CATIA, ENOVIA, GEOVIA, BIOVIA, etc. FYI SW is not the only customer base migrating into the corporate support system. Just like any company, they are all looking to utilize as few systems as possible and combine/merge/migrate data into fewer systems.. its a term called economies of scale.
Ry-guy

Unread post by Ry-guy »

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:46 pm So that justify the requirement of reading a book before using the "platform"?

I think you are way underestimating what is going on when you log into a support application. When you login, the system has to determine who you are, what permissions and access to applications you have in the system, what licenses files are associated with your user account, what support contract is associated with your account, is your account active or in-active, what account card your user account is associated with, etc. etc. Do you want help, support, review information, or other activities.
There is much more than just logging into OneDrive uploading a file and sharing that file. ;)
Bradfordzzz

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:09 pm The whole point of moving to browser is to remove the complexity of any "application" or "platform" from users.
A unified UI and controls.
This SWYM thing Innovation is nothing but Disruptive.
Yea, tag this.
This SWYM thing Innovation is nothing but Disruptive. (this is so accurate)

I'm actually shocked that everyone is so surprised that this isn't working as expected. LOL
We have had countless years of practice of Solidworks disappointing us and I cant even begin to describe how many broken features we have had to workaround, bypass, or just ignore.
How are so many people shocked that the Customer Portal has issues. LMAO ... really ?
Frederick_Law

Ry-guy wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:39 pm I think you are way underestimating what is going on when you log into a support application.
Why should any customer care about what the "app" do in the background? Complex or simple?
Only when the damn thing doesn't work.
Non of the app, program, platform we use are simple.
It doesn't matter how complex it is. It just need to work.
The programming, sensing, control, feed back on any drone is very complex but a kid can fly it.
The SWYM on the other hand stopped many engineer, designer.
It's truly disruptive.

Changing interface/control is not to taken lightly.
Just look at 737 MAX.

And you think DS has more customer then OneDrive. Google Drive?
There are permission in them also. Files are shared within them.

Since DS keep f-up permission, login, role, they need to train their employee properly before they deploy the "platform".
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

We have a new leader in the race for "Most irrelevant and/or incomprehensible reply to a forum post." https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... TYeBDsCZAw

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Frank_Oostendorp
Answers: 2

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

"Guys, you are still missing the point. "
"I think you are way underestimating what is going on when you log into a support application."
So it is normal to block the access to my existing SR and SPR data, by mid februari, and the data might come available at mid april, if the transport of data works out as promised by a dedicated team from Dassault.
@Ry-guy who has underestimated the transport of existing data of the old forum to the 3DX Swym?
So what to expect? <()>
Frederick_Law

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:21 am We have a new leader in the race for "Most irrelevant and/or incomprehensible reply to a forum post."
Damn, I need to reply more.
Bradfordzzz

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:59 am
It doesn't matter how complex it is. It just need to work.
The programming, sensing, control, feed back on any drone is very complex but a kid can fly it.
The SWYM on the other hand stopped many engineer, designer.
It's truly disruptive.
such a great statement. UU
dave.laban

Ry-guy wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:30 pm The inability to see ERs, SRs and SPRs may be explained by your permissions in the new system. You might want to check or check with your VAR to see what role/permissions you have and at what level (account or site).
OR...it might be that ERs, SRs and SPRs have not been ported over as of yet. Remember you are migrating from SW support systems into the much large DS corporate system that supports all the different brands like CATIA, ENOVIA, GEOVIA, BIOVIA, etc. FYI SW is not the only customer base migrating into the corporate support system. Just like any company, they are all looking to utilize as few systems as possible and combine/merge/migrate data into fewer systems.. its a term called economies of scale.
When I last spoke to my VAR about this fiasco their feedback was that the SPRs / ERs "have not been fully migrated yet, so currently you will be unable to see these, but this should improve with the coming weeks" - that was December 5th, so we're firmly in to "months" territory with no progress.

Furthermore SRs get handled in another new place (3DSupport dashboard) which has another new interface to try and learn.