Disable 'conflicting contexts' warning?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Uncle_Hairball
Answers: 2

Disable 'conflicting contexts' warning?

Unread post by Uncle_Hairball »

While I appreciate this helpful warning, I do not appreciate that it appears when I'm trying to create a local feature while editing a part in an assembly, with no external references. I also greatly dislike the fact that it tells me this twelve times in a row. Is there a way to disable this irritation?
image.png
image.png (8.35 KiB) Viewed 2907 times
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Disable 'conflicting contexts' warning?

Unread post by matt »

Yeah, there's a way to turn it off, but you're not going to like the results. The setting is in the External References Options, shown in the Help here.
image.png
I have to say that I was instrumental in getting this setting put into the software in the first place back in 1997. I was working for a reseller, and a customer who used to use Pro/E had a small sub assembly, and then a fixture that needed to reference holes in the sub assembly and also in the upper level assembly. Before that only one assembly could be referenced in the external references.

Anyway, this is a necessary setting, but using it is one of the worst ideas in SW. Unfortunately, this is a system option, not a document option. So you could get parts from people who used this option to create the part, but you don't have it turned on, so you're going to get errors. If you don't have much discipline and make a lot of in-context references, you can really make a mess with this option.

So, I would recommend figuring out what's going on (examine all the external references, and see which one is there that you were not expecting) and then blow them away or otherwise fix it correctly, then you don't need this option, and neither will the other people who open this part/assembly.

Best of luck.
Uncle_Hairball
Answers: 2

Unread post by Uncle_Hairball »

Thanks Matt. I'm just frustrated because I'm getting literally dozens of pop-ups in a row warning me of a conflicting context, which I'm not trying to create. There is no link to the assembly or other components. I'm trying to add a hole to an existing part. This should not be a problem. Again, I appreciate your knowledge and expertise.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Uncle_Hairball wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:56 pm Thanks Matt. I'm just frustrated because I'm getting literally dozens of pop-ups in a row warning me of a conflicting context, which I'm not trying to create. There is no link to the assembly or other components. I'm trying to add a hole to an existing part. This should not be a problem. Again, I appreciate your knowledge and expertise.
I've had that occur before, you can uncheck the box and the messages will stop popping up but you should investigate further into it and figure out what is the "conflicting context"

This is most likely an unintentional case of "circular reference"
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

Usually this happens to me when I save a part as a new part and it has references to an assembly somewhere. Like Alex said, you need to figure out what is causing the issue because things can change on the part in unintended ways if there are references you don't realize are there.