Why do I have to manually update custom properties

SPerman
Answers: 13

Why do I have to manually update custom properties

Unread post by SPerman »

Why do I have to manually update custom properties? Every other feature (except cosmetic threads) gets updated to the latest and greatest when I save the file. Does anyone know why these are treated differently?
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Re: Why do I have to manually update custom properties

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Have you tried running a CTRL + SHIFT + Q right before you save? (This force rebuild all configurations)

If this works, then you can add a rebuild/save mark to each of your configs and every time you save, it will rebuild all configs.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

The only way I know to update custom properties is to right click on the item in the history tree.

I'm a GIF. Click me!
CustomProp.gif
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
DanPihlaja

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

SPerman wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:54 pm The only way I know to update custom properties is to right click on the item in the history tree.

I'm a GIF. Click me!

CustomProp.gif
OK, i misunderstood what you wanted. Apparently you are allowed to keep the legacy custom property style if you want.

SW 2022 got an overhaul in the custom properties area. So that file must have come from something older than that. What it is doing is this:
https://help.solidworks.com/2022/Englis ... 529783#Pg0
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

DanPihlaja wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:13 am OK, i misunderstood what you wanted. Apparently you are allowed to keep the legacy custom property style if you want.
But why? I'm not allowed to keep any other legacy features. I don't have to go to every extrude and say "upgrade to latest version."
-
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

SPerman wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:21 am But why? I'm not allowed to keep any other legacy features. I don't have to go to every extrude and say "upgrade to latest version."
Oh, there's other things like that. If you right click on the top level of an assembly, you should have "Update cosmetic thread features" or something along that line.
image.png
I'm guessing it has to do with file structure but honestly I have no idea.

The most likely reason if I had to guess was that it caused issues at certain times and this was the most simple way of fixing the issue for now until they figure out how to fix it for good.
AlexB

Unread post by AlexB »

SPerman wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:21 am But why? I'm not allowed to keep any other legacy features. I don't have to go to every extrude and say "upgrade to latest version."
It's because it makes something behave different that depends on legacy behavior. So, instead of fixing it, they left it up to us to determine if it will mess up our assemblies. It's a feature, not a bug!
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Features like Extrudes have it too, you just aren't given the ability to upgrade them. They've made changes to features to give them additional capabilities and sometimes they leave existing features using the old code and sometimes they upgrade them. Wish I had an example but there are examples where a feature is failing and then you delete and recreate it and it works. That is the likely reason, the old code doesn't like something else that changed.

You can see something similar in the API. As they "enhance" api calls, they add a version number. Your old code still works generally.
Jason
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

I was wondering why none of my older parts had the configuration properties and properties summary tabs on them. Thanks!
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Unread post by mp3-250 »

custom property upgrade is available for file created with pre-2019 SW or templates.
Be very careful to blindly upgrade those properties as they could blow up your models i case by case scenario.
be careful with weldments whi'h is probably the most bugged and affected area.

it is also advisable to make template from scratch for very major update to avoid garbage and legacy feature slip inside the newly created files.

at SW they had the very bad habit to modify legacy code instead of create a new command and hide the old one in the UI, but keeping it fully accessible for legacy parts edit. A mess.