Performance -- BOM in Assembly

zwei
Answers: 18

Performance -- BOM in Assembly

Unread post by zwei »

As I am currently planning to "embedded" a bom table in my assembly template (hidden by default), I want to get some opinion on whether will the bom table in the assembly impact the assembly performance, especially when there is a long list of item in the bom...

Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
josh
Answers: 11

Re: Performance -- BOM in Assembly

Unread post by josh »

Impact should be minimal. Why not test yourself? Add/delete BOM is easy to do...
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

josh wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:51 am Impact should be minimal. Why not test yourself? Add/delete BOM is easy to do...
Glad to know that...
I am indeed trying it out myself, but was just asking around to see incase i missed anything :?
Thanks
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:24 am As I am currently planning to "embedded" a bom table in my assembly template (hidden by default), I want to get some opinion on whether will the bom table in the assembly impact the assembly performance, especially when there is a long list of item in the bom...

The only time I have seen a hiccup in performance is when I have a large assembly, and I display the BOM so that it stays flat to the screen. Every movement the BOM is completely redrawn. So don't add it so that it stays flat to screen.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

dpihlaja wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:35 am The only time I have seen a hiccup in performance is when I have a large assembly, and I display the BOM so that it stays flat to the screen. Every movement the BOM is completely redrawn. So don't add it so that it stays flat to screen.
Hmm...
Personally, i prefer to have the bom to flat on screen as it make viewing a whole lot easier...
But you do have a point on large assembly...
As i plan to have the bom hidden by default (it is only for our PDM), I think I will just leave it as flat.

But thanks for the input anyway :D