Part Search Directory change?

MJuric
Answers: 1

Part Search Directory change?

Unread post by MJuric »

So I'm pulling up a bunch of parts. When I do this and I know the part number I typically File>Open [type in part number] and the file name pops up.

Today however I noticed something that I'm wondering if someone can see if they see the same thing.

So say I do the above File>Open [type in part number] Ahhh, but turns out that part number is not in that directory. So you change directories without closing the file open window and type in the part number. It does not search the current directory for the part number but the original directory that you searched in first.

The only way to fix this is to close the File>Open window open it again and move to the directory first.

I'm running 2018 SP5 and this is happening on the PDM.

Anyone else have this happen?
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Re: Part Search Directory change?

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

I use windows file explorer. Double click.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:45 am I use windows file explorer. Double click.
Same here (except I have my computer set up to open files with a single click instead of double).
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:45 am I use windows file explorer. Double click.
When I'm looking for a file that is in a directory with 1000 other files File>Open does a real time look ahead as I type. Can't do that with windows explorer. In fact Windows explorer search doesn't even work in the PDM so you have to use the PDM search tool which is even more clicks to get to a file.
CarrieIves
Answers: 2

Unread post by CarrieIves »

I don't have PDM running. I have SolidWorks 2019 SP 5.0 and 2020 SP 5.0. I also use File Open (or control O) and then often start typing what I am wanting to open. I am able to switch directories, and it is looking at the new one as I type.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

MJuric wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:35 am So I'm pulling up a bunch of parts. When I do this and I know the part number I typically File>Open [type in part number] and the file name pops up.

Today however I noticed something that I'm wondering if someone can see if they see the same thing.

So say I do the above File>Open [type in part number] Ahhh, but turns out that part number is not in that directory. So you change directories without closing the file open window and type in the part number. It does not search the current directory for the part number but the original directory that you searched in first.

The only way to fix this is to close the File>Open window open it again and move to the directory first.

I'm running 2018 SP5 and this is happening on the PDM.

Anyone else have this happen?
This is happening here as well. And I don't have PDM installed on this machine. So it isn't a PDM specific thing.

Confirmed.....does the exact same thing in MS Excel. So it looks to be a windows thing.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

dpihlaja wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:31 pm

This is happening here as well. And I don't have PDM installed on this machine. So it isn't a PDM specific thing.

Confirmed.....does the exact same thing in MS Excel. So it looks to be a windows thing.
I just had it happen to me today in Excel as well, so I bet you're right, Windows is the issue.