Feature Manager - How to make it better

SPerman
Answers: 13

Feature Manager - How to make it better

Unread post by SPerman »

The very first thing I struggled with moving from NX to Solidworks is the feature manager. My memory of NX is fading since it's been 4+ years since I used it, but from what I recall, the Assembly navigator, Part navigator could be broken out into separate windows (and pinned to the 2nd monitor, but that is a different subject.) The simulation manager was also it's own window, and not stacked on top of the others.

How do I get the most out of the solidworks Feature Manager? Is there a way to use this feature that doesn't involve constantly collapsing, expanding and scrolling?

A few times I've had the Feature Manager window split in two. I find this completely unusable, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.
image.png
Any suggestions or tutorials on how to get the most out of SW FM would be greatly appreciated.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: Feature Manager - How to make it better

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I have a few things that might help if you aren't already doing them.

1. You can have the software automatically group instances of the same component in the tree. Right-click on the Assembly name at the top of the tree, go to Tree Display, and select "Group Component Instances". This does something similar to putting them into a folder, though the icon is different. You can still expand it to see the individual components if/when needed.

2. You can of course place multiple components in folders. Ctrl+select the components, right-click, and select "Add to new folder" from the drop-down. After doing so you can drag additional components into the folder if you wish.

3. I was going to say use sub-assemblies, but I see you already are.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Roasted By John
Answers: 1

Unread post by Roasted By John »

Use Folders to manage the Feature Tree, name your folders to separate different sub-assemblies etc..
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I use folders quite a bit in parts, but have never used them in an assembly. Thanks for the tips.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Roasted By John wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:47 am Use Folders to manage the Feature Tree, name your folders to separate different sub-assemblies etc..
This is a good practice, and it's helpful to name the folders with a good description. That way you know what's in them. I like to use names like "Folder1", "Folder2", "Folder3", and so on...
Roasted By John

Unread post by Roasted By John »

mattpeneguy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:47 am
Roasted By John wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:47 am Use Folders to manage the Feature Tree, name your folders to separate different sub-assemblies etc..
This is a good practice, and it's helpful to name the folders with a good description. That way you know what's in them. I like to use names like "Folder1", "Folder2", "Folder3", and so on...
Then when you need to rearrange the folders, I'm guessing you name them "Rev B - Was Folder3"
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Some subtle things:

You can check a setting inside Tool>Options>FeatureManager> Unroll to selected objected
This will go to the selected component inside the featuremanager. If you're like me and hate that because it opens up too many sub-assemblies too often, then you can uncheck it and right click the desired part and select ''Go to selected component'' so that it selects it on the featuremanager.

When the featuremanager gets too "messy", collapse all is pretty useful also to have it brought back to it's 'original state'.

I hate seeing enveloppes, so I love hiding them from the top level by right clicking and hiding all enveloppes. If there are some that I do desire to show, I will reshow them afterwards.
Tom G
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tom G »

I agree with all comments so far. Geez this got long. TL,DR: keep order. show comments. ignore errors.

My products have a clear flow, weak pun intended. I have organized nested folders and linear sequential components from suction connection to the pump, and from pump to discharge connection. Placing things in a clear order within the folder really helps when coming back to it to change or mate something.

I place components above and below subfolders to keep flow order. It can be a little fussy. Basic assembly default folder tree, in my case:
Prime Refs (axes, planes, SSP)
Pumps
Suction
> Suction Pipe/Tube
> Suction Components
> > CC Branch
> > S Pattern 18in
> > > S Drain Branch
Discharge
> Discharge Pipe/Tube
> Discharge Components
> > D Pattern 18in
> > > D Drain Branch
> > > PRV Branch
> > PD Branch
> > PI Branch
> > [Instrument] Branch
Electrical
Structural
Obsolete

* You can see that I group what will be linear patterned. This makes it easier both to create and modify this. I edit the linear pattern distance into the folder name. This is not in any way driving, but only a ready reference point when placing other things around the pattern such as pattern exceptions. I don't use global variables for this because my complexity can increase beyond a clear usefulness there.
* My design follows a Process & Instrumentation Diagram. Yours may not. This is the immediate source of my flow order, and a ready reference document at all times. Perhaps your design has its own hierarchy that can apply. A clear hierarchy makes multi-user work a lot easier!
* Any further development can get a subfolder, like bolt-on supports, hardware for flange pairs, common joined drains, secondary electrical panel, or such. If a pattern gets complex, I can nest a primary and secondary pattern. Subassemblies can also carry appropriate folder nesting.
* If I am including a tank or tote, that is placed in order, with possible containments, spools, or hoses subfolders, and again hardware for flange pairs.

@AlexLachance mentioned Collapse All. That default key command is Shift+C.

All the above expands on my use of what has already been said.

You can also use the FM for Show Comments. R-click top assembly > Tree Display > Show Comment Indicator. This way, components and/or folders in your FM can show a sticky note icon whenever you want to note something that will need further attention later. A common one for me is to use a specific keyword, NEEDS, so that I can later search for what's NEED'ed. "NEEDS BOM confirmation and support adjustment prior to fabrication." or "NEEDS product inspection on receipt," when manufacturer data is old and vague. Some users have suggested expanding the usefulness of the comment indicator, and Alin had a very nice thread (in the missing 5% series) on the topic in the old board. Stuff like color codes, priority, or status. Who knows if it will improve.

Folders are also very useful to me to "remove from current rebuild" some troublesome erroneous imported components. These complex items had been provided in a poor to fair quality STEP file, imported with hundreds of gaps and broken faces which do not heal with repeated attempts. I create placeholder reference entities for its connection points and anchors. Then, for the entire time that I am working on the assembly and a majority of the time that I'm working in the drawing, these segregated components are suppressed and not causing yellow triangle errors in every step of design. Then, when I am about to publish the drawing, I will turn it on and save the PDF.

I think we're discussing how to use Feature Manager better. Making it better is another discussion entirely, involving improvements. For example, I wish that I could sort patterns into the folders which contain their parents, but must accept that patterns always sort to the bottom of the FM.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

SPerman wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:36 pm The very first thing I struggled with moving from NX to Solidworks is the feature manager. My memory of NX is fading since it's been 4+ years since I used it, but from what I recall, the Assembly navigator, Part navigator could be broken out into separate windows (and pinned to the 2nd monitor, but that is a different subject.) The simulation manager was also it's own window, and not stacked on top of the others.

How do I get the most out of the solidworks Feature Manager? Is there a way to use this feature that doesn't involve constantly collapsing, expanding and scrolling?

A few times I've had the Feature Manager window split in two. I find this completely unusable, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.
image.png

Any suggestions or tutorials on how to get the most out of SW FM would be greatly appreciated.
Read this:

https://dezignstuff.com/solidworks-feat ... anagement/
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
DanPihlaja

SPerman wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:36 pm The very first thing I struggled with moving from NX to Solidworks is the feature manager. My memory of NX is fading since it's been 4+ years since I used it, but from what I recall, the Assembly navigator, Part navigator could be broken out into separate windows (and pinned to the 2nd monitor, but that is a different subject.) The simulation manager was also it's own window, and not stacked on top of the others.

image.png

You can undock the property manager (the 2nd tab at the top of the feature manager), but you cannot undock the feature manager itself.
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

dpihlaja wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:11 am
SPerman wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:36 pm
Read this:

https://dezignstuff.com/solidworks-feat ... anagement/
Wow, thanks for the mention! Sometimes I think people aren't paying any attention.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Thanks for all of the suggestions. There are some ideas here that can help my efficiency, but nothing addressing the root problem I have with the FM: Solidworks decision to display all of this information as one giant vertical accordion.
-
AlexLachance

SPerman wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:34 pm Thanks for all of the suggestions. There are some ideas here that can help my efficiency, but nothing addressing the root problem I have with the FM: Solidworks decision to display all of this information as one giant vertical accordion.
Hrm, it sounds to me like you might have you Feature Manager flattened, because there should be a kind of hierarchy for assemblies and sub assemblies

image.png
image.png

Edit: Hrm, ''Flattened feature manager'' seems to only be for Parts, but I could have sworn I've seen it inside assemblies..
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I don't have them flattened. But when I need a part that is 4 sub assemblies deep, everything between it and the top level gets expanded, leading to "scrolling, scrolling, scrolling."
-
AlexLachance

SPerman wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:43 pm I don't have them flattened. But when I need a part that is 4 sub assemblies deep, everything between it and the top level gets expanded, leading to "scrolling, scrolling, scrolling."

Okay Scott, so you're facing the same kind of 'annoyance' as me. Look up the first post I made and uncheck the box that says to expand to the selected component inside the featuremanager settings. That should remove 75% of the annoyance, which will leave you having to use ''expand to select component', when right clicking instead.

Sorry for the frenchness

This is the setting you want to turn off:
image.png
This is the thing to select to have it expand to the item, when desired(to change mates for example or edit a sketch at the part level)
image.png
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I played with that. It does help just generally moving around in the model, but once I "expand to selected component" it leaves me in the same place.

I probably need to get in the habit of hitting the "collapse all" shortcut before I do anything. At least that way I'm only working with what needs to be expanded right then.

image.png
image.png
-
AlexLachance

SPerman wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:56 pm I played with that. It does help just generally moving around in the model, but once I "expand to selected component" it leaves me in the same place.

I probably need to get in the habit of hitting the "collapse all" shortcut before I do anything. At least that way I'm only working with what needs to be expanded right then.

image.png

image.png
I hate the whole expanding thing so I use that setting and collapse by reflex now. It took a certain time to get accustomed to but I don't regret it whatsoever. But that's a personal preference. None of my co-workers work this way and they get away with it just fine.

When I'm working in the assembly level, I don't need to see the sub-assemblies's composition, I need to be able to access them quickly to edit, delete or add mates. That's the most efficient way I found to be able to do that, while also having the possibility of ''getting'' to the desired part, if it is the part and not the assembly that I desire to modify.
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

I work more in assembly than in parts. My parts ideally have all their features into one single folder named FEATURES. Pretty sneaky IKR. Collapse all of that which I don't need to reference, expand individuals as needed. Useful part reference entities stay at top level, usually below FEATURES.

Telling you that folders applied usefully will make your life easier isn't the same as telling you what you need to fold in.
matt

Unread post by matt »

I'm not totally following this conversation, so let me know if I've missed something.

Have you tried "Show Hierarchy Only"? It gets rid of the assembly features, and just shows the part and sub-assembly names.
image.png
And another setting I like in assemblies is "View Mates and Dependencies". That just shows the mates under each part without the part features.

image.png
AlexLachance

matt wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:13 pm I'm not totally following this conversation, so let me know if I've missed something.

Have you tried "Show Hierarchy Only"? It gets rid of the assembly features, and just shows the part and sub-assembly names.

image.png

And another setting I like in assemblies is "View Mates and Dependencies". That just shows the mates under each part without the part features.

image.png
Show Hierarchy! That was what I was looking for for assemblies!
Glenn Schroeder

SPerman wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:56 pm I played with that. It does help just generally moving around in the model, but once I "expand to selected component" it leaves me in the same place.

I have it as a Mouse Gesture in all environments, and it gets used . . . often.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

KevinC

Unread post by KevinC »

Hello,

You can also split the FM into 2 over/under panes by dragging the panel that's above the tabs:
image.png
This allows you to select two different tabs at a time or be in two places in the tree (like when selecting mates):
image.png
Kevin
KevinC

Unread post by KevinC »

Also, if you need a little extra graphics area, double click the FM tab:
image.png
The FM collapses so that only its tab remains visible:
image.png
Double click the tab again to restore the FM to its previous width.

Kevin
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

When I use the "Expand / Collapse Tree" keyboard shortcut, it only affects the ghost tree in the modeling area. Is there a similar shortcut for the tree in the Feature Manager? Am I doing something else wrong?

And the Shift-C shortcut does nothing that I can tell. Maybe it is time for a reboot.
image.png
-
AlexLachance

SPerman wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:01 pm When I use the "Expand / Collapse Tree" keyboard shortcut, it only affects the ghost tree in the modeling area. Is there a similar shortcut for the tree in the Feature Manager? Am I doing something else wrong?

And the Shift-C shortcut does nothing that I can tell. Maybe it is time for a reboot.

image.png
Most likely, Shift+C is supposed to be the one for the featuremanager as far as I'm aware.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

After a reboot, Shift-C is now working. At least if there is only one Tree in the FM. If it gets split, it only affects one of them. (I never every want the FM split. I wish there were a way to turn off that functionality.)
-
matt

Unread post by matt »

Shift+C is to collapse expanded components in the assembly featuremanger window, it collapses expanded features and sketches in the parts featuremanager.
AlexLachance

SPerman wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:24 pm After a reboot, Shift-C is now working. At least if there is only one Tree in the FM. If it gets split, it only affects one of them. (I never every want the FM split. I wish there were a way to turn off that functionality.)
The split can be useful at times, for example when you're creating multiple configurations with just a few values changing. If the bar is pulled to the top then it shouldn't reappear, technically. I doubt there's a way to turn it off.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I have some time to do some playing this afternoon. One thing that makes the FM more useful to me is to hide all of the stuff I don't normally use. (History, sensors, binder, etc.)

If I could could put the three planes and origin into a folder that would buy more real estate as well.

The root of the problem is that I want SW to be something it isn't. (insert obligatory I miss NX rant here.)

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions.
-
Glenn Schroeder

matt wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:26 pm Shift+C is to collapse expanded components in the assembly featuremanger window, it does nothing in the parts featuremanager.
Are you sure about that?

Here's part of my tree before using the shortcut . . .

image.png
. . . and here's the same area after.

image.png

AlexLachance

SPerman wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:48 pm I have some time to do some playing this afternoon. One thing that makes the FM more useful to me is to hide all of the stuff I don't normally use. (History, sensors, binder, etc.)

If I could could put the three planes and origin into a folder that would buy more real estate as well.

The root of the problem is that I want SW to be something it isn't. (insert obligatory I miss NX rant here.)

Hey Scott,

Maybe you haven't looked at the right place ;)
image.png

Honestly though, I advise you to keep the planes and origin, these are base geometries and are things you should build around, both inside a part and inside an assembly.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I don't want them hidden. I want them in a folder. 1 (expandable) row instead of 4.
-
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:50 pm
matt wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:26 pm Shift+C is to collapse expanded components in the assembly featuremanger window, it does nothing in the parts featuremanager.
Are you sure about that?
Rebooting solved that problem.
-
matt

Unread post by matt »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:50 pm
Are you sure about that?
Looks like I made a mistake. I tested it, but must have hit the wrong key or something... Tested it again and now it works. Sorry, I'll fix my post.
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

There's one subtle thing that I learned this year about components in folders.

When you insert a part, it appears at the bottom of the tree.
If you drag a component upwards into a folder, it will move to the bottom of that folder.
If, instead, you drag a component to ABOVE the folder first, then drop it into the folder, then it will move to the TOP of that folder.

Many times, this isn't desired and the part gets placed into a specific place within the middle of the folder, so it doesn't always apply.
But, if you are working in a logical direction and keeping that in your folders, the next item in the order is easy to place at either the top or bottom of a folder, depending on which direction it is being dragged from.

Otherwise, I do find that folders themselves don't move easily in my 2018 SP5 install. I will copy then alter its name, move its items, then create a new folder of the same previous name in a new location, and delete the empty old one. A little fuss keeps order and makes it easier to return to later.
Rob
Answers: 2

Unread post by Rob »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:52 pm
SPerman wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:48 pm I have some time to do some playing this afternoon. One thing that makes the FM more useful to me is to hide all of the stuff I don't normally use. (History, sensors, binder, etc.)

Hey Scott,

image.png

Honestly though, I advise you to keep the planes and origin, these are base geometries and are things you should build around, both inside a part and inside an assembly.
The one enhancement I would love to see here is if the Hide/Show Tree Items was a Document Level Setting.

Or if I can have two wishes, the filter worked better,,

and a while I'm on a roll if you could use just the favourites folder and hide everything else..

BTW does anyone use breadcrumbs?
AlexLachance

Rob wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:09 pm
AlexLachance wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:52 pm

Hey Scott,

image.png

The one enhancement I would love to see here is if the Hide/Show Tree Items was a Document Level Setting.

Or if I can have two wishes, the filter worked better,,

and a while I'm on a roll if you could use just the favourites folder and hide everything else..

I use breadcrumbs when the featuremanager has a function running over it. That's about the only case.
Glenn Schroeder

Rob wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:09 pm BTW does anyone use breadcrumbs?
I do occasionally, but a couple of issues keep me from using them more.

1. If I use them to locate Mates I have to be way too careful with my cursor or they'll disappear.
2. I can't use the setting to have them appear near my cursor because if I do then Quick Mates don't work when selecting entities from the tree instead of the graphics area (unless this has been fixed lately).

And to be perfectly honest, part of it might be just that they were added well after I had my workflow down, and I'm not convinced that changing that workflow to take advantage of them will be worth the effort.

Jaylin Hochstetler

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

Rob wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:09 pm BTW does anyone use breadcrumbs?
I am use them all the time for mating, opening a part from an assy, editing the appearances on a part, etc. (if they show up). It drives me absolutely crazy if they don't show up. o[ grumph
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
DanPihlaja

Rob wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:09 pm
The one enhancement I would love to see here is if the Hide/Show Tree Items was a Document Level Setting. YES!!

Never used that folder

Most definitely yes! All the time!! Especially in a multi body or assembly environment.

[/quote]

See answers in bold above
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

I had to google breadcrumbs. If someone has wrote a "What Are Breadcrumbs" blog and has it saved somewhere hand, maybe worth posting in the SW FAQ here.

Just a thought.
Merovingien

Unread post by Merovingien »

breadcrumb was in "rare" interesting new feature "unfinished"

if you sutdy the mouse movment others a day of work, then you can upgrade this b setting correct menu icons, hud, quick-keys, etc....

but it always ended with 2 (and half) area.

the breadcrumb has the potential to reduce it up to 1 (and half) area.
it's vere interesting.

except the feature is unfinished, and SW isn't listening some users remark (and some stop from many years to "give new idea" to SW because BugiWorks)

one problem (i alread said in the old forum) is, if you work with the "don't expand tree" setting,
breadcrumb totally didn't listen to the setting, and expand the tree.
it's important to let the user the choice of a workflow.

and to makes that feature more powerfull, you simply have to....
(oh wait, i will not say that here, because if a SW employee see it, they will use it...)
i don't want to give help to them...

the happydays of SW was about 2012, after it become more and more Bugidworks...
Happy Days.jpg
Happy Days.jpg (15.44 KiB) Viewed 3037 times
Jaylin Hochstetler

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

bnemec wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:23 pm I had to google breadcrumbs. If someone has wrote a "What Are Breadcrumbs" blog and has it saved somewhere hand, maybe worth posting in the SW FAQ here.

Just a thought.
Here's a SW help article on breadcrumbs.
https://help.solidworks.com/2021/englis ... crumbs.htm
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.