Selection Window inverts selected objects

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Selection Window inverts selected objects

Unread post by SPerman »

When trying to select objects for an operation, if I use the selection window, instead of just adding anything inside the window, it deselects anything already selected. Is there a setting for this somewhere?

Please see the GIF below:
SelectionWindow.gif
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: Selection Window inverts selected objects

Unread post by mike miller »

This seems to be typical behavior. Think about it. You essentially selected that component twice, and therefore it is removed from the selection set/group. I'd say this behavior makes the most sense to me.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

mike miller wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:41 am This seems to be typical behavior. Think about it. You essentially selected that component twice, and therefore it is removed from the selection set/group. I'd say this behavior makes the most sense to me.
I disagree. It is inconsistent. If you pre-select faces before selecting the delete face tool, you can use the SHIFT and CTRL keys to alter the behavior of the window select tool while selecting more faces. CTRL will toggle any already selected items, while SHIFT will ignore already selected items and add any new items. When the delete face (or other tool) is selected, the CTRL and SHIFT keys are suddenly ignored and the behavior changes to all toggles all the time.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

A nice enhancement would be what most photo editing software like Photoshop, Gimp, or Affinity have, boolean style selections:
  • New - Each new selection replaces the last, kind of like what we have today.
  • Add - New selection add to the existing set, nothing is unselected
  • Subtract - Selection that removes existing selections
Jason
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

SPerman wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:32 am When trying to select objects for an operation, if I use the selection window, instead of just adding anything inside the window, it deselects anything already selected. Is there a setting for this somewhere?

Please see the GIF below:

SelectionWindow.gif
Not to rub it in (I keep catching myself saying that) but you need to check out how Solid Edge does selections. You can have add mode, subtract mode or add and subtract mode.
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

Here's a video I took of the SE selection manager. It's pretty cool stuff!
If you Control/Shift select a face it will automatically go into the Add/Remove mode where you can select and deselect faces without holding the Control or Shift key. You can also use the Selection Manager (Shift+Spacebar) where it will select all rounds, perpendicular faces, parallel faces, etc.
Attachments
SE Selection Manager.wmv
(10.53 MiB) Downloaded 43 times
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I really wish you guys would stop telling me how stupid I was to go with Solidworks. "Everybody uses it. It must be good."
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

SPerman wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:15 am I really wish you guys would stop telling me how stupid I was to go with Solidworks. "Everybody uses it. It must be good."

image.png
That's like the saying we have around here: "Bad decisions don't make themselves.........."
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39