SOLIDWORKS 2022 Whats New

zwei
Answers: 18

SOLIDWORKS 2022 Whats New

Unread post by zwei »

Highlights of SOLIDWORKS 2022...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... vNuZMZd8VO

To be honest, i am amazed.... there are quite a number of improvements that caught my eyes.... (mirror, component pattern, moving component in assembly, etc)

:shock:
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Re: SOLIDWORKS 2022 Whats New

Unread post by SPerman »

STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT!

You're the reason SW sux. "Look at all of those cool new features"

1. Most of those features won't work on the new release
2. If they are working on new features, they aren't fixing old bugs
3. New features just generated a whole new list of bugs added to the workload.

STOP ENCOURAGING THEM TO CREATE NEW FEATUERS. ENCOURAGE THEM TO FIX THE * * * * THEY ALREAD WROTE
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Apparently two asterisks is a popcorn guy.

-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Lucas
Answers: 2

Unread post by Lucas »

Was expecting some update on Structure System D:

And the improvement on Section View looks good, hope they will remove the snap

(I wonder if we will get Subdivision someday lol)
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

SPerman wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:46 am STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT!

You're the reason SW sux. "Look at all of those cool new features"

2. If they are working on new features, they aren't fixing old bugs
3. New features just generated a whole new list of bugs added to the workload.

STOP ENCOURAGING THEM TO CREATE NEW FEATUERS. ENCOURAGE THEM TO FIX THE * * * * THEY ALREAD WROTE
To be honest, i dont see why we cant have new features (which fixes most of the limitation of existing feature) and bug fixes at the same time...
I am not sure where do you get this.. but from my past experience, most of the new features DO works. (And this is also why they have beta testing etc)
If they are working on new features, they aren't fixing old bugs
This is not true in my opinion. No organization has the resources to focus only on eliminating bugs before working on new features. You can never fix EVERY bugs and some bugs is a thankless job (high effort low impact) to fix.
This is why they need to constantly working on both features and known bugs while prioritizing which features to work on first, and which bugs are the most urgent to eliminate.

The idea of software release/update is to add value by making the product more useful to the customers, whether it is a bug fixes or new features.

Also, these "Whats New" video is just to introduce the new features and aimed to attract new users and getting people to upgrade, they are never meant to discuss about the bug fixes etc (No one will want to watch a 30min video on what bugs had they fixes do they?)

Just my 2cents
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:33 pm (No one will want to watch a 30min video on what bugs had they fixes do they?)

Just my 2cents
Absolutely a bad assumption. I have pretty much quit listening to "What's new" garbage from Marketing because it's superficial and too often misleading. IF some tech group would put together an hour presentation of the top bugs they addressed, how they affected users and how they were solved you can bet your assemblies I would tune in. If it comes from marketing I'll tune out when I hear a couple buzzwords such as "effortlessly" "seamlessly" "simply" etc.

Solid Edge prompted this attitude and SW is embracing it. I'm sure different use cases and experiences produce different responses. So that's just my opinion.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

After re-reading my post, it possibly came across WAY more aggressively than I intended it to. That wasn't my intent.

But my opinion regarding the software hasn't changed. It is time to put the pig on a diet, not just spread more lipstick on it.
-
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

We need a "user" based "What's New" of items that don't necessarily make the official "What's New" document. Sometimes there are little things that are way more valuable to me. For example, in 2022 beta I noticed the sketching is faster in some places......no where to be found in the document.
Jason
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:30 pm We need a "user" based "What's New" of items that don't necessarily make the official "What's New" document. Sometimes there are little things that are way more valuable to me. For example, in 2022 beta I noticed the sketching is faster in some places......no where to be found in the document.
I've run into things like that a few times. I'd always post about them on the old forum. Of course I probably couldn't find them back now.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
TRKemp
Answers: 0

Unread post by TRKemp »

Anyone else just kind of feel "overwhelmed" at times when viewing these year after year? The pace at which things are advancing and the depth of what is possible in each new release makes you wonder how your suppose to seamlessly incorporate all of these new features and functions into your already established processes that you've spent a decade or more building and using each day. Getting hard to keep up.
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

TRKemp wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:43 am Anyone else just kind of feel "overwhelmed" at times when viewing these year after year? The pace at which things are advancing and the depth of what is possible in each new release makes you wonder how your suppose to seamlessly incorporate all of these new features and functions into your already established processes that you've spent a decade or more building and using each day. Getting hard to keep up.
Just lower your expectations...remember this comes from these guys:
image.png
Lucas
Answers: 2

Unread post by Lucas »

TRKemp wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:43 am Anyone else just kind of feel "overwhelmed" at times when viewing these year after year? The pace at which things are advancing and the depth of what is possible in each new release makes you wonder how your suppose to seamlessly incorporate all of these new features and functions into your already established processes that you've spent a decade or more building and using each day. Getting hard to keep up.
Yep, and they present it like its a revolution lol
I just apply some filter, focus on stuff that I am using and ignore what I have no idea what they are talking about =)
john@layketool.com
Answers: 0

Unread post by john@layketool.com »

They can give us all the new features they want but when they discontinue the one thing that's going to screw over a bunch of users then why update. We're not going to update or renew maintenance unless they give us back the functionality to allow us to work remote without having to continuously forget to activate & deactivate the seat that's at the other location with no remote access to change it. Good move SW
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

I looked at the list of YT vids for SWX2022:
image.png
image.png
image.png
Within them I saw a few things that I am going to like, but the majority of these categories are in areas I don't use, or the enhancements within them were "meh".

I'm on subscription so probably around SP2.0 I'll install SWX2022. But I am not salivating over anything they showed.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
Glenn Schroeder

DennisD wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:12 am Within them I saw a few things that I am going to like, but the majority of these categories are in areas I don't use, or the enhancements within them were "meh".

I'm on subscription so probably around SP2.0 I'll install SWX2022. But I am not salivating over anything they showed.
I'm pretty happy about the one they talk about at 3:00 minutes into this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FbC6uUoBzw, although it's more fixing something that's been broken than what I'd consider an actual enhancement.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:33 pm To be honest, i dont see why we cant have new features (which fixes most of the limitation of existing feature) and bug fixes at the same time...

I am not sure where do you get this.. but from my past experience, most of the new features DO works. (And this is also why they have beta testing etc)

This is not true in my opinion. No organization has the resources to focus only on eliminating bugs before working on new features. You can never fix EVERY bugs and some bugs is a thankless job (high effort low impact) to fix.
This is why they need to constantly working on both features and known bugs while prioritizing which features to work on first, and which bugs are the most urgent to eliminate.

The idea of software release/update is to add value by making the product more useful to the customers, whether it is a bug fixes or new features.

Also, these "Whats New" video is just to introduce the new features and aimed to attract new users and getting people to upgrade, they are never meant to discuss about the bug fixes etc (No one will want to watch a 30min video on what bugs had they fixes do they?)

Just my 2cents
We have an advisor that comes to see us every year to tell us which bugs have been adressed with the new versions and which new bugs have been created.

I'd certainly love to see a 30 minute video explaining all the bugs they've adressed. There are bugs that have existed for as long as I can remember, take the dynamic highlight constantly turning off for example. Or showing how the import diagnostic finally doesn't take an hour(or more) to fix the import it messed up in the minute it took to import it.

New features are great, but stability is better. Obviously the second is somewhat user dependant, but that doesn't mean they've peaked and can't improve over what it currently is. Another example is forcing users to use specific graphic card drivers from specific graphic cards. The wrong driver or card can cause a multitude of bugs, ever seen that on any other software or game?
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:45 am I'm pretty happy about the one they talk about at 3:00 minutes into this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FbC6uUoBzw, although it's more fixing something that's been broken than what I'd consider an actual enhancement.
Yes! I saw that too. And I agree this should have been done a long time ago.

Most of where I saw some interesting things were in the parts and assemblies and a little in the drawings. I saw what looked like great fixes to long-existing problems in Visualize, but I rarely use it or PhotoView 360 so there isn't much potential there for me to get excited.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
Glenn Schroeder

AlexLachance wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:48 am . . . I'd certainly love to see a 30 minute video explaining all the bugs they've adressed. There are bugs that have existed for as long as I can remember, take the dynamic highlight constantly turning off for example. Or showing how the import diagnostic finally doesn't take an hour(or more) to fix the import it messed up in the minute it took to import it.
I'm surprised you're still having problems with that. I can't remember the last time it happened to me. Have you tried updating the driver for your 3d mouse (assuming you have one)?

bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:45 am I'm pretty happy about the one they talk about at 3:00 minutes into this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FbC6uUoBzw, although it's more fixing something that's been broken than what I'd consider an actual enhancement.
If it's been broken long enough a fix can be publicized as an enhancement, which they think sounds better than "fix" which implies something was wrong.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

DennisD wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:54 am Yes! I saw that too. And I agree this should have been done a long time ago.

It's pretty sad it was ever an issue. It wasn't a difficult problem to solve. I would make the argument that the button should be unnecessary.
-
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:39 am I'm surprised you're still having problems with that. I can't remember the last time it happened to me. Have you tried updating the driver for your 3d mouse (assuming you have one)?
I'm still on 2019 though, but I've been having problems with it since the school days, so that means I've gone through multiple computers and versions with the issue.

I'm also about to get my new tower in a week or two, and I expect the bug to continue with that one too. My 3D mouse is rarely ever plugged to my computer also, could the driver cause issue even though the mouse is not plugged?
Glenn Schroeder

AlexLachance wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:00 pm I'm still on 2019 though, but I've been having problems with it since the school days, so that means I've gone through multiple computers and versions with the issue.

I'm also about to get my new tower in a week or two, and I expect the bug to continue with that one too. My 3D mouse is rarely ever plugged to my computer also, could the driver cause issue even though the mouse is not plugged?
No, I wouldn't think the drive issue would cause problems if it isn't plugged in and being used, but I wouldn't say for sure. That's above my pay grade.

I asked that question because most of the problems I heard of with that setting turning itself off were related to 3d mouse use. Apparently the 3d mouse software turns off dynamic highlighting while you're using it to manipulate the model so you don't constantly have edges highlighting as they cross over your cursor, and it didn't always turn it back on when you stopped. They've fixed that issue.

I'm afraid you're one of the unlucky few who have that problem without using a 3d mouse.

Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:12 pm No, I wouldn't think the drive issue would cause problems if it isn't plugged in and being used, but I wouldn't say for sure. That's above my pay grade.

I asked that question because most of the problems I heard of with that setting turning itself off were related to 3d mouse use. Apparently the 3d mouse software turns off dynamic highlighting while you're using it to manipulate the model so you don't constantly have edges highlighting as they cross over your cursor, and it didn't always turn it back on when you stopped. They've fixed that issue.

I'm afraid you're one of the unlucky few who have that problem without using a 3d mouse.
Mine turns off every now and then. But if I move the cursor while moving the model with the 3d mouse the dynamic highlight just goes nuts.
image.png
In SE the dynamic highlight actually turns off while you manipulate the model with the 3d mouse then turns back on when you stop! tu
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.