What's your PREFERED version of SolidWorks?

TooTallToby
Answers: 0

What's your PREFERED version of SolidWorks?

Unread post by TooTallToby »

Hi Community! I recently bought a commercial seat of SW pro, and I'm about to do my install. I'm curious about what the community thinks is "the best" version of SW, or their "preferred" version.

I know my answer - it's SolidWorks 2015 :-) Pretty stable and VERY fast. But that's just my opinion, and I'd love to hear what other people prefer.

I threw a video up on youtube with the same question - in case you wanted to read some answers from other SW users:
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: What's your PREFERED version of SolidWorks?

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Hey Toby,

Mine personally was 2012, because I didn't get to try that many versions, but from what I've read, 2018 seems to be the best version by far in terms of stability and performance.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I started with 2017, so I don't have a lot of experience, but my vote is also for 2018. They drove the performance off of a cliff in 2019 and have been trying to recover ever since.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Cadmonkeychris

Unread post by Cadmonkeychris »

2018, followed by 2011. Having some surfacing weirdness in 2021 - boundary surfaces failing that shouldn't, surface trims flipping, shells failing etc.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I've never noticed a big performance difference between versions, but SW2010 stood out to me because of some exceptional enhancements that were a big help to me.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

I am actually surprised mine hasn't been mentioned yet..
2014 was my first experience with SW. I learnt to use SW with this and worked quite happily for a few years.
Nostalgia perhaps, but every cool experience and powerful new ability it gave me for our business was from 2014.
Every update along the way since has seemed to only bring new issues, fresh bugs and unnecessary changes in everything from icon locations and colours to workflows. Not to mention the makework of new templates, etc. And my happiness and expectations have lowered exponentially since.
I've tried: 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021 and now I also have 2022 and I haven't been as happy with any of them. But I still revel in the happiness of opening my old files that I have been able to avoid updating form 2014 and they still work perfectly fine. Feels like coming home. I will continue to use my 2014 vers as long as is possible.. We have a perpetual license and all the offline install files, inc SP5.
2014 still works in Win 10, but this may change with future WIndows updates and SW Lack of support for newer OS's. That and if solidworks remotely sabotages it will likely be the only reasons I will have to discontinue use of 2014..
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

TooTallToby wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:09 am Hi Community! I recently bought a commercial seat of SW pro, and I'm about to do my install. I'm curious about what the community thinks is "the best" version of SW, or their "preferred" version.

I know my answer - it's SolidWorks 2015 :-) Pretty stable and VERY fast. But that's just my opinion, and I'd love to hear what other people prefer.

I threw a video up on youtube with the same question - in case you wanted to read some answers from other SW users:
2014 was my fav for a while. Speed in the later versions degrade.... but.. there are things in 2019 I also like... and/but... not many people are using it. **
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
TooTallToby

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:14 am Hey Toby,

Mine personally was 2012, because I didn't get to try that many versions, but from what I've read, 2018 seems to be the best version by far in terms of stability and performance.
Thanks Alex - great feedback!!
TooTallToby

SPerman wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:18 am I started with 2017, so I don't have a lot of experience, but my vote is also for 2018. They drove the performance off of a cliff in 2019 and have been trying to recover ever since.
Thanks SPerman - a lot of people are kinda saying the same thing - appreciate the feedback!
TooTallToby

Cadmonkeychris wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:28 am 2018, followed by 2011. Having some surfacing weirdness in 2021 - boundary surfaces failing that shouldn't, surface trims flipping, shells failing etc.
Wait you are saying that you think just 'cause a complex surface works in one build, it should also work in future builds? >>>

LOLOL - thanks for the feedback Chris - good to know and definitely something to look out for!
TooTallToby

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:01 am I've never noticed a big performance difference between versions, but SW2010 stood out to me because of some exceptional enhancements that were a big help to me.
yeah there were some pretty big enhancements back in the early 2010s. I think around 2013 they re-vamped the sheet metal multi-body stuff, and I remember that being a really big game changer.

Thanks for the feedback Glenn! Appreciate it and nice to hear from you again! :-)
TooTallToby

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:01 am I've never noticed a big performance difference between versions, but SW2010 stood out to me because of some exceptional enhancements that were a big help to me.
yeah there were some pretty big enhancements back in the early 2010s. I think around 2013 they re-vamped the sheet metal multi-body stuff, and I remember that being a really big game changer.

Thanks for the feedback Glenn! Appreciate it and nice to hear from you again! :-)
TooTallToby

Damo wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:23 pm I am actually surprised mine hasn't been mentioned yet..
2014 was my first experience with SW. I learnt to use SW with this and worked quite happily for a few years.
Nostalgia perhaps, but every cool experience and powerful new ability it gave me for our business was from 2014.
Every update along the way since has seemed to only bring new issues, fresh bugs and unnecessary changes in everything from icon locations and colours to workflows. Not to mention the makework of new templates, etc. And my happiness and expectations have lowered exponentially since.
I've tried: 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021 and now I also have 2022 and I haven't been as happy with any of them. But I still revel in the happiness of opening my old files that I have been able to avoid updating form 2014 and they still work perfectly fine. Feels like coming home. I will continue to use my 2014 vers as long as is possible.. We have a perpetual license and all the offline install files, inc SP5.
2014 still works in Win 10, but this may change with future WIndows updates and SW Lack of support for newer OS's. That and if solidworks remotely sabotages it will likely be the only reasons I will have to discontinue use of 2014..
Thanks Damo you bring up some great stuff here. And I'm with you regarding the nostalgia! I've always had a place in my heart for 2015, and I'm still rocking that build on a windows 10 machine. Hopefully we can keep using these older versions (that still work great!) for a long time to come!!

Don't get me wrong there are some really cool things added to the new builds - but there's also something to be said for just opening your files (quickly) and knowing everything will work
TooTallToby

zxys001 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:53 am 2014 was my fav for a while. Speed in the later versions degrade.... but.. there are things in 2019 I also like... and/but... not many people are using it. **
Thanks for the feedback David! I agree 2014 was a great and speedy build. I also liked 2015 (that was the last one before the "big UI changes" in 2016). But there are a few things added between 2015 and 2019 that definitely made me use 2019 alot too - Being able to sweep without a profile was a big one (because I did a lot of wiring mock ups for guitars and amps) and also the implementation of visualize in those later builds has been super helpful! A couple of other niceties too like better tools for multi body - but if I just need quickly build something and send it to the 3D printer, I'm probably going to be doing in 2015.

thanks again for the feedback - I appreciate it!
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

2018 is a safe choice because of the following features:
bounding box, mirror sketches around planes, tab & slot, three bend corner reliefs

2018 did not introduce too many new features & was fast & stable.

But there are features from almost every version that I REALLY do not want to miss:
2019:
defeature silhouette (SO GOOD!)

2020:
sketch silhouette entities
create mates to ref. geometry in LDR (HUGE, I think)
adjust patterns in LDR (if they improve on that - namely make pattern driven creation available it'll fix all our fastener issues)

2021:
Save defeatured models as configurations, change between full and simplified versions (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), and mimic other configurations

Also: If you make harnesses electrical 2021 is a no brainer (according to my co worker) because of this: Use multiple wires or cables to pass through and arrange through clips
Lapuo

Unread post by Lapuo »

berg_lauritz wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:51 pm 2018 is a safe choice because of the following features:
bounding box, mirror sketches around planes, tab & slot, three bend corner reliefs

2018 did not introduce too many new features & was fast & stable.

But there are features from almost every version that I REALLY do not want to miss:
2019:
defeature silhouette (SO GOOD!)

2020:
sketch silhouette entities
create mates to ref. geometry in LDR (HUGE, I think)
adjust patterns in LDR (if they improve on that - namely make pattern driven creation available it'll fix all our fastener issues)

2021:
Save defeatured models as configurations, change between full and simplified versions (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), and mimic other configurations

Also: If you make harnesses electrical 2021 is a no brainer (according to my co worker) because of this: Use multiple wires or cables to pass through and arrange through clips
This is exactly what i would wrote!
I would only add that for me 2016 and 2017 were worst (slowest and most buggy) versions.
2018 was so good , stable and fast. We are currently on 2021 which has some nice enchantments but from my experience it is MUCH slower than 2018 .
Cadmonkeychris

Unread post by Cadmonkeychris »

TooTallToby wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:35 am Wait you are saying that you think just 'cause a complex surface works in one build, it should also work in future builds? >>>

LOLOL - thanks for the feedback Chris - good to know and definitely something to look out for!
Yep, surely not too much to ask..? Surface trims flipping - wrong set of surface 'choices' selected for trim, leading to an inverted or failed output.
Boundary surfaces failing because one of the entities has flipped and the entire lot has to be deselected and then reselected to work.

To add to my earlier answer, 2014 wasn't bad either.
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

TooTallToby wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:41 am Thanks Damo you bring up some great stuff here. And I'm with you regarding the nostalgia! I've always had a place in my heart for 2015, and I'm still rocking that build on a windows 10 machine. Hopefully we can keep using these older versions (that still work great!) for a long time to come!!

Don't get me wrong there are some really cool things added to the new builds - but there's also something to be said for just opening your files (quickly) and knowing everything will work
I kinda skipped over 2015.. I did not choose to update at the time.. Then a collaborative project forced me straight onto 2016.. So, I never got to try it.. I think I regret that now..

Now I have questions.. You were able to use your newly purchased license to install 2015 from a CD.. (Coz I think we can no longer download versions that old..!?)
And.. You are also using the latest 2022..? What do you think of it..?
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

TooTallToby wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:37 am yeah there were some pretty big enhancements back in the early 2010s. I think around 2013 they re-vamped the sheet metal multi-body stuff, and I remember that being a really big game changer.

If I remember correctly 2010 was when they fixed the Mirror components function in Assemblies, so it worked like any other feature instead of just dropping the components in with no way to edit it. I think it was also the version that introduced the "Select Bodies" button in Drawings when detailing multi-body Parts.

I do distinctly remember that we were going to skip SW2010 until I saw the list of enhancements. It didn't take me long to convince management that the software had been improved enough to justify paying for that year.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Well,

I am still on SW 2018 SP5.

The oldest version that I remember using is SW 2011, although it could have been before that. So far, SW 2018 has been the best.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
SolidMuse

Unread post by SolidMuse »

Whatever new version I am working on.... Currently SW2021 SP5.1. We don't do anything that special, and most users don't, that I get wrapped up in such and such version did it better. FWIW
len_1962

Unread post by len_1962 »

AS SolidMuse said anyone I am on! but my favorites were the ones with no online registration, just the old REG Key, could install on any PC, one at work and one at home, used the old 80\20 rule so not breaking the rules of the time.

God I'm old, been plunking on SW since 97+

I am glade they added CAM, but SW was so stupid not buying HSMWorks when they had the chance could have killed the whole CON-Fusion 360 HSMCAM, but NOPE!

BUT hey EDU gets it for free so I can still use it.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Best is current version of Inventor UU
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Frederick_Law wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:13 am Best is current version of Inventor UU
How did I know that's exactly the answer I was going to see you posted?
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

OR the version I don't use LOL
Like, all.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Frederick_Law wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:13 am Best is current version of Inventor UU
You can keep Preventor and we'll stick to SolidWorkAround. <ll>
Jason
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

I think my favorite version would be: sqrt(-1)
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

2014 and 2019
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Unread post by mp3-250 »

Siemens NX 7.5
Former Mechanical Engineer (UG-NX ), now a miserable SW CAD/PDM admin... debugging Solidworks since 2014. Please save me from ThE pLaTfOrM...
All the opinions are my own.
SW is bad: a fact not an opinion.