SW 2022 SP2 - First Thoughts

SPerman
Answers: 13

SW 2022 SP2 - First Thoughts

Unread post by SPerman »

I upgraded from 2020 SP5 to 2022 SP2 this afternoon. This is my feedback after about 2 hours.

The program seems more responsive rotating assemblies and in general. I've tried having Enhanced Graphics on and off and I can't see any difference. At least it is now usable, which for me, it wasn't in the past.

That's where the good comments end.

In 2 hours it hung once, which I was able to somehow recover from by killing the task in task manager. Later it crashed, hard.

When I'm working in the program, it seems quicker. Saving, at times, was back to 2019 level. Lots of spinny circle. Lots of "Solidworks is Busy." I'm hoping this is related to the PDM upgrade, and speed will improve once my local cache is up to date. That may be wishful thinking.

There's a couple of very minor things, which may or may not be correctable with a setting.

2020 had it's issues, but for the most part was rather stable. I'm disappointed to have 2 problems in the little time I've been using 2022.

TLDR: It's solidworks. Some things will be better, some worse. Spin the cylinder, pull the trigger and hope for the best.
image.png
image.png (7.06 KiB) Viewed 5399 times
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: SW 2022 SP2 - First Thoughts

Unread post by jcapriotti »

One thing I forgot after the upgrade is check video card driver version. 2022 will most likely recommend a new driver. Maybe that will help.

https://www.solidworks.com/support/hard ... ification/
Jason
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

As I think about it, the time it hung I think there was a window open behind solidworks that I couldn't see. Killing the task with task manager closed that window and SW would respond again.

Thanks for the advice on the video card. I will check on that.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Mike Gera
Answers: 0

Unread post by Mike Gera »

Are you on Windows 10 or Windows 11?
SW 2022 SP 5.0
Windows 11
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Windows 10.
-
ellundo

Unread post by ellundo »

The temporary axis popping up is better but I still would like to be able to turn it off completely, or just delete that "feature".
Mike Gera

SPerman wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:12 amWindows 10.
Thanks.
SW 2022 SP 5.0
Windows 11
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

After another hour this morning I'm going back to 2020. It's like 2019 all over again. I spend more time staring at a spinny circle than I do getting any work done.
-
Mike Gera

Based on this thread, it looks like I won't be migrating to Windows 11 anytime soon...
SW 2022 SP 5.0
Windows 11
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

SPerman wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:51 am After another hour this morning I'm going back to 2020. It's like 2019 all over again. I spend more time staring at a spinny circle than I do getting any work done.
Curious, for testing, did you update all your files to 2022? I've noticed going from 2019 to 2021 and 2020,..is a big jump and change. **
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I did not.

To be honest, I have no good reason to upgrade. If we hadn't decided to install PDM, I would still be off license and 2022 wouldn't even be an option.

I was reluctant to perform the upgrade in the first place, but there are some new features in 2022 I wanted to investigate. There are no new features that are revolutionary, and even though 2020 has a few issues that affect me, I know what they are and how to work around them. I wasn't going to invest extra time upgrading all of my files, just in case I decided to go back. If the reason for my slowness was that all of my files are still 2020, so be it.

It was close enough to what I experienced after one of the 2019 service packs that I started having PTSD and couldn't get that S*** off of my computer quick enough. I know others didn't have the same experience, but for me I lost about 1/3rd of my productivity staring at "solidworks is busy." I have no desire to do that to myself again.
-
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

There is one regression I found right away. (Search for SPR 1230978.)

In 2020 if you do a concentric mate, a 2nd set of breadcrumbs appears to allow you to flip the mate or lock the rotation. According to the SPR, that option disappears immediately after it appears. I know some people hated this feature, but I had become used to it and miss it, despite the extra clicks it requires at times.

(Kudos to the support tech at Trimech who actually did the work and attached my sn to the SPR. My previous VAR would have done less than the bare minimum.)
-
Tera
Answers: 2

Unread post by Tera »

SPerman wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:24 am There is one regression I found right away. (Search for SPR 1230978.)

In 2020 if you do a concentric mate, a 2nd set of breadcrumbs appears to allow you to flip the mate or lock the rotation. According to the SPR, that option disappears immediately after it appears. I know some people hated this feature, but I had become used to it and miss it, despite the extra clicks it requires at times.

(Kudos to the support tech at Trimech who actually did the work and attached my sn to the SPR. My previous VAR would have done less than the bare minimum.)
I had the exact same problem from SP1 and all the time I thought it's a side effect of using Windows 11.
I never talked to our VAR because I was sure the first thing they would say would be "SW doesn't support windows 11".

As a work around I ticked the following checkbox in customize.
It prevents breadcrumbs disappear.
22.png
bentlybobcat

Unread post by bentlybobcat »

I was looking through the release notes for v2022 and this turd jumped out:

"Reactivating SOLIDWORKS Perpetual Licenses
Starting with SOLIDWORKS 2022, commercial and educational customers who have purchased perpetual licenses of SOLIDWORKS products will be required to reactivate their licenses once a year. The licenses never expire but need to be reactivated periodically regardless of whether or not customers remain on subscription. Term licenses and student licenses are not affected."

Nice....
Bent
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

bentlybobcat wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:05 am I was looking through the release notes for v2022 and this turd jumped out:

"Reactivating SOLIDWORKS Perpetual Licenses
Starting with SOLIDWORKS 2022, commercial and educational customers who have purchased perpetual licenses of SOLIDWORKS products will be required to reactivate their licenses once a year. The licenses never expire but need to be reactivated periodically regardless of whether or not customers remain on subscription. Term licenses and student licenses are not affected."

Nice....
That doesn't change anything. They make clear that "[perpetual] licenses never expire". We have no reason to think that the company would ever change that especially after they change the license manager to require reactivation once a year.
bentlybobcat

bnemec wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:17 am That doesn't change anything. They make clear that "[perpetual] licenses never expire". We have no reason to think that the company would ever change that especially after they change the license manager to require reactivation once a year.
LOL!

Kinda like the free version of DraftSight......
Bent
jcapriotti

bnemec wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:17 am That doesn't change anything. They make clear that "[perpetual] licenses never expire". We have no reason to think that the company would ever change that especially after they change the license manager to require reactivation once a year.
It stinks but seems to be the way everyone is going...not just CAD. Most software these days is fairly mature and upgrades aren't as needed unlike the 90s and early 2000s. I guess it's inevitable. SolidWorks, Solidedge, and NX are the hold outs.
Jason
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

We are having the same discussion at our workplace. Developing software costs money. It's hard to pay for developing your software if the customer only pays for it once and uses it for years / decades.
-
bentlybobcat

I don't think anyone is begrudging their need to make money. We all have to eat.

The part that sticks in your craw is when arbitrary, antagonistic decisions are made, like doing away with the 2 activation license, the license server, etc, that seem to be money grubbing bean counters at work.

The elimination of the free DraftSight version was particularly onerous. I get it, it's not going to be free forever. Saying that, let me know and I would have gladly paid the then $50 cost for the low end version. Instead, it's arbitrarily turned it off without notice, the perpetual license was eliminated and it's now a subscription at a rate that I'm not going to fork out for something I used 2-3 times a year. Nice work guys. My VAR was extremely embarrassed about the whole thing.

And then to spend the kind of coin they are spending on the entire 3DExperience website, it's quite frustrating.

The beauty of the 3dExperience website is it's broken and they know it. My interaction to get my 3DExperience account unlocked highlighted the frustration that middle level folks at Dassault have as well.

I'm coming to a point where I'm going to have to make a decision as to whether or not I'm going to keep my subscription active.

Unless things get straightened out pretty quickly over in Dassault-ville, it's prolly not going to happen. I've owned a seat of SolidWorks since '95, so some 17 years I've paid my annual stipend. It's just I really get the feeling they don't care about individual users any longer....
Bent
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

SPerman wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:26 am We are having the same discussion at our workplace. Developing software costs money. It's hard to pay for developing your software if the customer only pays for it once and uses it for years / decades.
Just my perception, but when someone identifies a need or demand then develops the service or product that does a good job of fulfilling that existing need they will not be able to keep up and there will be plenty of revenue. There is rapid growth and budgets aren't very tight. Once others jump in and start under cutting then the race is on to add features to fill every nook and cranny of the potential need or demand. As burden and overhead continue to grow and the needs/demands are met a crunch is inevitable. It seems there is never a road map at this point to reduce the ballooning and trim down to a maintenance crew to support the product. That's just bad business right? By now there's investors and other forces that need to see growth and profits while the natural cycle is demanding the opposite. This is where they start forcing unwanted products and using mechanisms to keep customers on the hook buying unwanted stuff. Create more features whether there's really a demand for it and marketing will convince the customers (not users but the PO signers) with fear tactics that if they don't purchase the new product, they're falling behind the competition and will be out in the next 5-10 years. Chaos ensues while some person in the back is recognizing a demand and makes a tool to fulfill the demand then starts to sell it.
jcapriotti

bentlybobcat wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:48 am
The elimination of the free DraftSight version was particularly onerous. I get it, it's not going to be free forever. Saying that, let me know and I would have gladly paid the then $50 cost for the low end version. Instead, it's arbitrarily turned it off without notice, the perpetual license was eliminated and it's now a subscription at a rate that I'm not going to fork out for something I used 2-3 times a year. Nice work guys. My VAR was extremely embarrassed about the whole thing.
You can get the perpetual license still but you have to buy the Enterprise version at $599.

https://trimech.com/products/draftsight ... al-license

Question is, what's your alternative? AutoCAD is subscription only, so is Nanocad. BricsCAD is priced similar to DraftSight Enterprise. This is industrywide and I imagine in a few years it will be worse.

There are a few free options that you could maybe use if you don't need to do much (Librecad, Nanocad free, etc.)
Jason
bentlybobcat

I've been using nanocad free, but extremely infrequently.

It's a bit of a concern considering where it's written.
Bent
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

bentlybobcat wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:48 am I don't think anyone is begrudging their need to make money. We all have to eat.
.. they don't care about individual users any longer....
Bravo, well said!
=)
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Mike Gera

Is anybody having a problem with random temporary axes appearing in SW 2022 SP 2.0 on Windows 11?
SW 2022 SP 5.0
Windows 11
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

SPerman wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:17 am I did not.

To be honest, I have no good reason to upgrade. If we hadn't decided to install PDM, I would still be off license and 2022 wouldn't even be an option.

I was reluctant to perform the upgrade in the first place, but there are some new features in 2022 I wanted to investigate. There are no new features that are revolutionary, and even though 2020 has a few issues that affect me, I know what they are and how to work around them. I wasn't going to invest extra time upgrading all of my files, just in case I decided to go back. If the reason for my slowness was that all of my files are still 2020, so be it.

It was close enough to what I experienced after one of the 2019 service packs that I started having PTSD and couldn't get that S*** off of my computer quick enough. I know others didn't have the same experience, but for me I lost about 1/3rd of my productivity staring at "solidworks is busy." I have no desire to do that to myself again.
So you did not upgrade the files? I don't think there is a fair comparison possible without upgrading the files. Or does it not affect the performance anymore?
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

You are correct. It was not a true fair comparison. Maybe if I had invested another day in upgrading all of my files I would have a different experience. Or maybe I would have wasted another day and a half and still reverted. I'm comfortable with the decision I made. I would recommend anyone do whatever level of testing they feel comfortable with before upgrading.
-
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Mike Gera wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:51 pm Is anybody having a problem with random temporary axes appearing in SW 2022 SP 2.0 on Windows 11?
If you haven't already, try toggling "enhanced Graphics" and see if that makes a difference.
-
Mike Gera

SPerman wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:16 am If you haven't already, try toggling "enhanced Graphics" and see if that makes a difference.
Will give it a try, thanks.
SW 2022 SP 5.0
Windows 11
nevillew

Unread post by nevillew »

bentlybobcat wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:51 pm LOL!

Kinda like the free version of DraftSight.....
On the 'Draftsight not free anymore' nonsense by Dassault....
After about a year or 2 of using something else, out of curiosity I tried again to see if it would open a file, without telling me I need to pay.
Lo and behold it works again - I'm wondering if if in their corporate body they have developed some sort of conscience or heart of some kind and thought about us individual users keeping the promise of always being free. . . .

I've canned my subscription of SNOTWorks.
Down this part of the world it costs in excess of $2000 just to maintain a sub with standard version.
Just not worth it when they keep tinkering around the edges with fluffy stuff and breaking other existing functionality.
Tera

Unread post by Tera »

Is there anything wrong with Pack & Go in SW2022 SP2?

It seems I can not Pack & Go an assembly. The task ends without any error, but the new assembly is full of broken references. I really hate SW.
-
1.png
Frank_Oostendorp

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

@Tera,
yes, Pack&Go does not update references in new saved assembly. Supposed to be fixed in SP3.0.
Tera

Unread post by Tera »

Frank_Oostendorp wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:23 am @Tera,
yes, Pack&Go does not update references in new saved assembly. Supposed to be fixed in SP3.0.
Why something that has been working for years breaks in an update?
Is it possible to uninstall SP2 and go back to SP1 without uninstalling the whole application?

Thanks.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Tera wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:19 am Is there anything wrong with Pack & Go in SW2022 SP2?

It seems I can not Pack & Go an assembly. The task ends without any error, but the new assembly is full of broken references. I really hate SW.
-
1.png
Pack and Go works fine in SW2022, as long as you don't try to re-name components as part of the process (or at least it does for me). Fortunately, since we got the ability a few years to re-name components within an Assembly that's not as big a deal as it would have been otherwise.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Frank_Oostendorp

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:36 am Pack and Go works fine in SW2022, as long as you don't try to re-name components as part of the process (or at least it does for me). Fortunately, since we got the ability a few years to re-name components within an Assembly that's not as big a deal as it would have been otherwise.
Right, Glenn. In your case it doesn't seem to be a big problem. In our case, it is a huge problem, costing us many extra hours. I am staying at SolidWorks 2019, postponing upgrading. Amazed by the number of issues in the last three versions of SolidWorks. grumph
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Frank_Oostendorp wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:54 am Right, Glenn. In your case it doesn't seem to be a big problem. In our case, it is a huge problem, costing us many extra hours. I am staying at SolidWorks 2019, postponing upgrading. Amazed by the number of issues in the last three versions of SolidWorks. grumph
This is a good representation of SolidWorks for the last 2 to 3 years I'd say, if not more.
image.png
Tera

Unread post by Tera »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:36 am Pack and Go works fine in SW2022, as long as you don't try to re-name components as part of the process
All components are virtual. So there's no renaming.
Can you test if pack & Go has any problem with virtual parts?

thank you.

PS : Are you using SP2?
Glenn Schroeder

Tera wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:42 am All components are virtual. So there's no renaming.
Can you test if pack & Go has any problem with virtual parts?

thank you.

PS : Are you using SP2?
1. It worked fine with a virtual Part.

2. Yes, I'm using SW 2022 sp 2.0.

3. Why can't you re-name virtual Parts from the Assembly tree?
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Tera

Unread post by Tera »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:52 am 3. Why can't you re-name virtual Parts from the Assembly tree?
I don't. Not that I can't. I simply select pack & go, then Replace the old name to new name (using replace all).
The assembly has 158 parts. All sheet metal. 102 parts are OK. the rest ends up with broken references.
No matter how many times I repeat this, the same result.
I've been using Pack & Go regularly, never had this problem before.

Thanks for testing and letting me know the result.
jcapriotti

@TeraDid this work in a previous version? We are on 2019 and it seems I ran across this before and it was related to virtual components not updating. Problem affects assembly renames in PDM as well as the "update references" code cannot 'reach' into virtual components that are embedded inside an assembly file to update the in-context links.

I find several SPRs on this...all fairly old.
image.png
Jason
Glenn Schroeder

jcapriotti wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:00 am @TeraDid this work in a previous version? We are on 2019 and it seems I ran across this before and it was related to virtual components not updating. Problem affects assembly renames in PDM as well as the "update references" code cannot 'reach' into virtual components that are embedded inside an assembly file to update the in-context links.

image.png
Back around that time I had problems with virtual parts getting left behind when doing a Pack and Go. I didn't use them often, and even then it was usually just one per Assembly, so I stopped using them altogether.

The problem with re-naming files during the Pack and Go operation is new with SW2022 (at least I didn't have the problem with older versions).

Tera

Unread post by Tera »

jcapriotti wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:00 am @TeraDid this work in a previous version? We are on 2019 and it seems I ran across this before and it was related to virtual components not updating. Problem affects assembly renames in PDM as well as the "update references" code cannot 'reach' into virtual components that are embedded inside an assembly file to update the in-context links.

image.png
I've been using virtual part since 2016 and never had a single problem with Pack & Go concerning loosing references.
Even 2022 SP1 worked for me, But not SP2.
I'll uninstall SW and reinstall from SP1. They don't forget to bill us. But what they deliver is a not working application that so many users have problems with it.

Just imagine SW's CEO buys a refrigerator and it fails to make ice. He calls the manufacturer support and they ask him to wait for the next year's update. I really like to see what he answers.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Next years update will make ice, but only cools the food to 60F
-
jcapriotti

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:29 am The problem with re-naming files during the Pack and Go operation is new with SW2022 (at least I didn't have the problem with older versions).
Confirmed working in 2019.....guess I was thinking of 2017 maybe where it didn't 100%. I do see that 2022 'enhanced' the speed of Pack and Go.....I guess by ignoring updating some of it ;;
image.png
Jason
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:33 pm Confirmed working in 2019.....guess I was thinking of 2017 maybe where it didn't 100%. I do see that 2022 'enhanced' the speed of Pack and Go.....I guess by ignoring updating some of it ;;

image.png
2022 is released by the even year group, 2019 was released by the odd year group, so the fix likely didn't get communicated to the even year group. :?
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

bnemec wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:09 am 2022 is released by the even year group, 2019 was released by the odd year group, so the fix likely didn't get communicated to the even year group. :?
I'm trying to figure out if:
  • they took you comment and ran with it
  • they are being facetious
  • someone actually told them this and was serious
image.png
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

JSculley wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:50 am I'm trying to figure out if:
  • they took you comment and ran with it
  • they are being facetious
  • someone actually told them this and was serious
image.png
:shock:
Bradfordzzz

Unread post by Bradfordzzz »

Maybe we need a new thread called "Second Thoughts" ?

Like .. on second thought .. I wish I wouldn't have installed 2022 at all!

and @AlexLachance ... before you say I told you so .. I know I know o[
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

My experience is the opposite. Odd years were the ones to be avoided. But with 2022 it seems like SW is over achieving and now both even and odd years are to be avoided.
-
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

SPerman wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:18 am My experience is the opposite. Odd years were the ones to be avoided. But with 2022 it seems like SW is over achieving and now both even and odd years are to be avoided.
Boom!
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
Cadmonkeychris

Unread post by Cadmonkeychris »

2021 was a dog (still use it for two clients) but 2022 takes the biscuit. On top of poor performance, drawings hanging and general stability issues, Visualize 2022 is almost unusable. SP0 wouldn't load SW files at all (various vintages) and SP2 randomly crashes after slowly bogging down on the loaded scene.

This rubbish has caused us to look elsewhere for a clean start cad system (I posted in CADagnostic about this). We have just received a quote for NX... :o

I hope it's stable at that price...