ExPerience contributors

AngryPictureDrawer2
Answers: 0

ExPerience contributors

Unread post by AngryPictureDrawer2 »

Has anyone else noticed the shear VOLUME of article writers SW has for the Swamp?
its like ever group or home or whatever they have has at least 5-7 writers that complement each other for their articles.
Amazing, I wonder how much that costs. :?:
rumpus

Re: ExPerience contributors

Unread post by rumpus »

Yeah... everybody has a story. Those writers obviously get paid, probably a couple hundred bucks per article. I wrote for the org at one time, and it wasn't worth my time. So are you seeing what they would write for a buck, or are you getting an honest end users opinion? Guarantee you these guys don't actually have any experience with 3DX. You might find some surprises if you look closely. And its interesting how you can spin words... I don't see any honestly glowing endorsements. This is how you develop a reputation for marketing dishonesty.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

rumpus wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:15 pm Yeah... everybody has a story. Those writers obviously get paid, probably a couple hundred bucks per article. I wrote for the org at one time, and it wasn't worth my time. So are you seeing what they would write for a buck, or are you getting an honest end users opinion? Guarantee you these guys don't actually have any experience with 3DX. You might find some surprises if you look closely. And its interesting how you can spin words... I don't see any honestly glowing endorsements. This is how you develop a reputation for marketing dishonesty.
Beautifully put. It could be concidered a form of fraud in a way, but it would be hard to prove. As I spoke of in another thread, it's basically just articles to try and boost their stocks.
AngryPictureDrawer2

I thought it was fun to check out who was liking those writers work and more times than not it was the same five people who also put out weekly articles. it was an entertaining diversion for a moment, some claim they work to SW, others had it hidden sort of.
AlexLachance

AngryPictureDrawer2 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:18 am I thought it was fun to check out who was liking those writers work and more times than not it was the same five people who also put out weekly articles. it was an entertaining diversion for a moment, some claim they work to SW, others had it hidden sort of.
I still can't believe they do not have tags for official Dassault employees over there. It's been what, a year and a half since the forced transition from the forum to the Platform? You'd think they'd want to make sure people know who to address their question to. Seems like it's pretty much the opposite, "Let's all hide in the crowd and let the crowd answer for us, so we don't have to take the blame if the crowd's wrong"
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Spell check:
"Let's all hide in the clown and let the clown answer for us, so we don't have to take the blame if the clown's wrong"
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

Do you have a link to what you're talking about?
AlexLachance

matt wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:38 pm Do you have a link to what you're talking about?
https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... JzxPfRwqNA

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... nrnWfJi1KQ

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... pkMA-rRccg

3 quick ones that represent well what he speaks of.
image.png
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

Oh, ok, whew! I thought you all were calling me out for writing a couple articles on engineersrule.com. I wrote one on the "platform" idea, and one on "single source of truth". The site is sponsored by DS. I've written elsewhere about the "platform" from other points of view. I tried to be objective without being negative, if that makes any sense. These days I'm more a writer than anything else, and have to be able to parse ideas into constituent parts. An idea can be good while the execution is poor, or the approach is wrong. The problem is that yes, they do pay for the articles, and more than they did a few years ago. @TooTallToby actually noticed the articles a couple of weeks ago, and spotted me dancing a little bit.

The "platform" is an old idea that we thought we got rid of in the 1990s. "Best in class", right? Well, that worked until the mom & pop software makers started snowballing into something bigger. Now they sing a different tune. One software conglomerate has found a way to join platform with best in class. They are developing an open platform, which allows everyone else to participate in developing for the platform. Not a closed platform. Think Apple (authoritarian evil) vs Google (slightly more palatably democratic evil).
AngryPictureDrawer2

OH no matt never! Myself certainly and I'm sure a bunch of others really value your work. I was remarking upon how quiet it is over in the swamp, I noticed that 90% of the activity appears to be from a few article writers posts and then the others liking and re-sharing it. I found it amusing
AngryPictureDrawer2

the other 10% seemed to be people who couldn't get the experience they paid for and wanted a refund
AlexLachance

matt wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:30 pm Oh, ok, whew! I thought you all were calling me out for writing a couple articles on engineersrule.com. I wrote one on the "platform" idea, and one on "single source of truth". The site is sponsored by DS. I've written elsewhere about the "platform" from other points of view. I tried to be objective without being negative, if that makes any sense. These days I'm more a writer than anything else, and have to be able to parse ideas into constituent parts. An idea can be good while the execution is poor, or the approach is wrong. The problem is that yes, they do pay for the articles, and more than they did a few years ago. @TooTallToby actually noticed the articles a couple of weeks ago, and spotted me dancing a little bit.

The "platform" is an old idea that we thought we got rid of in the 1990s. "Best in class", right? Well, that worked until the mom & pop software makers started snowballing into something bigger. Now they sing a different tune. One software conglomerate has found a way to join platform with best in class. They are developing an open platform, which allows everyone else to participate in developing for the platform. Not a closed platform. Think Apple (authoritarian evil) vs Google (slightly more palatably democratic evil).
We would never speak indirectly in such a way about you Matt, or at least I wouldn't. I have too much respect for you. It's more the principle of paying a bunch of people to create articles and circle jerk themselves about how good the articles are that is kind of... stupid..?

You do a great job at being objective without dwelving into the negative. I know exactly what you mean by "An idea can be good while the execution is poor or the approach wrong". A few of my collegues have green belt 6 sigma certification so we've been working hard at integrating the Kaizen approach while using the 5S methodology which can pretty much be summed up by "Good ideas can be poorly planned or executed, causing more issues then they fix". I love this stuff, finding the fundamental cause to things.
Frederick_Law

AngryPictureDrawer2 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:46 pm the other 10% seemed to be people who couldn't get the experience they paid for and wanted a refund
There should be a "up" button to keep those $hit afloat.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

AngryPictureDrawer2 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:24 pm Has anyone else noticed the shear VOLUME of article writers SW has for the Swamp?
its like ever group or home or whatever they have has at least 5-7 writers that complement each other for their articles.
Amazing, I wonder how much that costs. :?:
That's probably because they're some of the few people who can find the articles.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
dave.laban
Answers: 4

Unread post by dave.laban »

At least they keep all the promo articles to the "SolidWorks News & Info" community rather than spamming the actual user forum with them. Makes them easy enough to dodge (and may also explain the low engagement...as well as the articles not being particularly engaging...)
Frank_Oostendorp
Answers: 2

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

"as well as the articles not being particularly engaging" is a very subtile way to say this. Major number of the articles are a low level interpretation of the writer/copier, creating a popular version of an existing article from 5 years ago. Easy money and can be expected for some. Only receiving the money and some likes from colleagues. Sad.
Frederick_Law

Well, we should write some and get paid.

To sponsor this forum UU
AngryPictureDrawer2

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:12 am Well, we should write some and get paid.

To sponsor this forum UU
I would read any article you post, I however find it difficult to imagine them, SW, intentionally and knowingly, pay YOU.
Don't take any rain checks lol ;;
Frederick_Law

I'll slip in a few IV screenshot and see if they notice LOL
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Frederick_Law wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:14 am I'll slip in a few IV screenshot and see if they notice LOL
That's hilarious! Yes, you should do that. And we should all go over there and up vote the entry.
May I suggest something on the way IV handles equations? I watched a video a few years back and it seemed that IV was much more robust, but that was just my take away.
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:50 am That's probably because they're some of the few people who can find the articles.
@Glenn Schroeder,
It's very simple to find things over there....You just need 2 things:
image.png
2. An infinite amount of time.
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

mattpeneguy wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:05 am @Glenn Schroeder,
It's very simple to find things over there....You just need 2 things:
1. image.png
2. An infinite amount of time.
One mathematical definition of infinity = 1/0
I think that zero represents my patience with their "experience".
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
Frederick_Law

DennisD wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:20 am One mathematical definition of infinity = 1/0
ZTG doesn't work in SW
Frederick_Law

mattpeneguy wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:34 am That's hilarious! Yes, you should do that. And we should all go over there and up vote the entry.
May I suggest something on the way IV handles equations? I watched a video a few years back and it seemed that IV was much more robust, but that was just my take away.
Equation is great in IV.
SW use a more detail name: d1@Sketch@part
IV just use d1, d2 etc. in same file.
Equation everywhere and they all unit aware. So it can auto conver. Mixing units: in, mm, km, ft will not create any problem. 3mm + 2ft is valid.
It'll also notify when result is wrong unit.
Of course user can multiply by "ul" to make it unit less.
Equation in pattern. Number of holes depends on part length and min/max hole distance.
SW evaluate equation only in one pass. IV will solve all the equations.
In SW you'll get different result on each update. IV will get same result.