Disable Temporary axes.

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Damo
Answers: 0

Disable Temporary axes.

Unread post by Damo »

I'm using SW 2022 and it has this new annoying "feature" of creating a temporary axis whenever one hovers on a cylindrical/conical face for a longer than a heartbeat.
Firstly, can someone explain why they would need this and what meaningful purpose it can serve.?
I mean, these new axes do not show up in drawings.. do they? and surely if you wanted to use an axis to create a plane or as a point of circular pattern, you'd just create the axis like normal.? What is the benefit..? Other than one less feature within the feature tree..?
...For a thing you cannot edit... That will probably break anyway when the "Face" changes, like they do...

Moreover, and of significantly more importance to me, how do I turn this feature OFF..!?? I cannot find a setting to do this..
And FFS why is it even on by default at all. ?
I do not need my system hanging while it goes about the thinking to create something I do not need everytime my cursor hovers on a cylinder for more than a few milliseconds.
Who dreams up these great new enhancements..?
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Re: Disable Temporary axes.

Unread post by gupta9665 »

This is being worked on as reported by users.
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

gupta9665 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:59 am This is being worked on as reported by users.
Well.. That is encouraging. I'm pleased they are looking into fixing something they made stoopid.

Thank you Deepak.
I do appreciate your reply.
Much respect to you good sir. :D
ellundo

Unread post by ellundo »

This behavior was modified in, I think, SP 3 so that the axis don't show immediately. You have to hover over the object for a couple seconds before they show.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

These show up even with temporary axis turned off? Kind of odd, but I can see the use of having them show up and then hide back for the purpose of selecting them to do a mate or whatever else. A lot less hassle then going in the menu to turn on temporary axis, select it, turn them off and continue with your selection.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

As a result of probably the loudest complaints since the icon color change debacle, much of it from me, they added this option in one of the service packs (sp 3, maybe?). As you see, I have it turned on, since after they added the delay I don't mind it, and even use it occasionally.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
AlexLachance

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:41 am As a result of probably the loudest complaints since the icon color change debacle, much of it from me, they added this option in one of the service packs (sp 3, maybe?). As you see, I have it turned on, since after they added the delay I don't mind it, and even use it occasionally.

image.png
You da man Glenn!
Glenn Schroeder

AlexLachance wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:44 am You da man Glenn!
I don't know how much credit I deserve for getting it fixed, but I was definitely a squeaky wheel. I think this "enhancement" caused me the most frustration since the automatic Note merging back about 2010.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Any new feature should come with a switch to turn it off. We see this over and over when they add an enhancement to the UI.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Glenn Schroeder

SPerman wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:27 am Any new feature should come with a switch to turn it off. We see this over and over when they add an enhancement to the UI.
Absolutely, and they've gotten better about doing that in the last few years, but someone dropped the ball with this one.

Damo

Unread post by Damo »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:41 am As a result of probably the loudest complaints since the icon color change debacle, much of it from me, they added this option in one of the service packs (sp 3, maybe?). As you see, I have it turned on, since after they added the delay I don't mind it, and even use it occasionally.

image.png
Nice work Mate.

This is exactly what I was hoping to find.
But alas I cannot find it in my SP0.
Nor can I update, I've been locked out since my last refusal to cough up more $$$$ to our terrible reseller.
Never mind that we've paid (ever-increasing) subs for nigh on 10yrs. now.)

I guess I will just need to retrain myself to avoid any pause over cylindrical faces.
But, if I may ask for clarity, you state: "... since after they added the delay I don't mind it"
How much delay..?

It really does take literally only a fraction of a second to trigger it. Then it pauses for a second of two while it displays tit.
Yes, even if display of temporary axis is turned off..

I guess I will just need to retrain myself to avoid any pause over cylindrical faces.
Meh.. accept it and move on. For now.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

My estimate is about 1.5 seconds.

This is a GIF.
tempaxis.gif
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Damo wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:38 pm Nor can I update, I've been locked out since my last refusal to cough up more $$$$ to our terrible reseller.
Never mind that we've paid (ever-increasing) subs for nigh on 10yrs. now.)
Last I remember.....if you bought a version, you are entitled to all service packs....just not the next version. Your reseller must provide you a download link to the latest SP.

https://www.goengineer.com/blog/install ... expiration.
Jason
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

jcapriotti wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:11 am Last I remember.....if you bought a version, you are entitled to all service packs....just not the next version. Your reseller must provide you a download link to the latest SP.

https://www.goengineer.com/blog/install ... expiration.
That is VERY interesting. I have never known that to be the case. My subscription expires at the end of January. It is my understanding that I would only be entitled to the latest service pack released at that point in time, so for me it would be SWX2023 SP2, and not SP5 that would be released in October 2023, nine months after my subscription expiration.

This is what I just found on my VAR's website: https://trimech.com/blog/understanding- ... s-licenses
Term vs Perpetual Licenses & Subscription Services
SOLIDWORKS standalone and network versions can be either perpetual or term licenses. Perpetual licenses are owned by the client and never expire, while term licenses are essentially rentals which will cease to function after the expiration date.

Perpetual licenses have optional subscription services which provide clients with various benefits including technical support, the right to upgrade SOLIDWORKS to newer versions as they come out at no extra cost, free certification exam vouchers, etc. Subscription services are paid on an annual basis and will expire if not maintained. But the client is still able to use whatever version of SOLIDWORKS was most current at the time their subscription expired, as well as any earlier version they may want to use.

@Alin since you work for a VAR, can you clarify the corporate policy, please.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
AlexLachance

DennisD wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:35 am That is VERY interesting. I have never known that to be the case. My subscription expires at the end of January. It is my understanding that I would only be entitled to the latest service pack released at that point in time, so for me it would be SWX2023 SP2, and not SP5 that would be released in October 2023, nine months after my subscription expiration.

This is what I just found on my VAR's website: https://trimech.com/blog/understanding- ... s-licenses
Term vs Perpetual Licenses & Subscription Services
SOLIDWORKS standalone and network versions can be either perpetual or term licenses. Perpetual licenses are owned by the client and never expire, while term licenses are essentially rentals which will cease to function after the expiration date.

Perpetual licenses have optional subscription services which provide clients with various benefits including technical support, the right to upgrade SOLIDWORKS to newer versions as they come out at no extra cost, free certification exam vouchers, etc. Subscription services are paid on an annual basis and will expire if not maintained. But the client is still able to use whatever version of SOLIDWORKS was most current at the time their subscription expired, as well as any earlier version they may want to use.

I think these 'things' vary depending on the VAR and location. Some countries have specific laws that make things a bit more complex.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

DennisD wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:35 am That is VERY interesting. I have never known that to be the case. My subscription expires at the end of January. It is my understanding that I would only be entitled to the latest service pack released at that point in time, so for me it would be SWX2023 SP2, and not SP5 that would be released in October 2023, nine months after my subscription expiration.
They may put up a fight......just find a bug the SP fixes and say I need it because this is broken.
Jason
Alin
Answers: 3

Unread post by Alin »

DennisD wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:35 am
[/color]
That is my understanding, too.
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

Well.
I have contacted my VAR in regards to this.
I have told them some time back that I refuse to pay them any more $$$ for the lacklustre service I've received from them.

I now await their reply.
Dwight
Answers: 2

Unread post by Dwight »

Damo wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:31 pm Firstly, can someone explain why they would need this and what meaningful purpose it can serve.?
I don't see that your question was really answered. I use it for sketch relations. Probably only for sketch relations. For some reason you can't dimension to a cylindrical surface in a sketch. You have to pick a centerline instead. Nice that now you don't have to go turn on centerlines, but I do think it would have been easier if they just let me pick the cylinder wall.

Dwight
image.png
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I use temporary axis regularly for sketches and mates. While it is handy not to have to turn on temporary axis to do this, it would have been about 236th on my list of priorities for the software.
-
Frank_Oostendorp

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

SPerman wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:20 am I use temporary axis regularly for sketches and mates. While it is handy not to have to turn on temporary axis to do this, it would have been about 236th on my list of priorities for the software.
It's one click to switch them on or off, if you create a menu for it. Quick on and off visibility for origins, curves, axis, temporary axis, etc. Has been available for multiple years. ;)
Attachments
image.png
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Yes, and with this new feature, it is 0 clicks.
image.png
image.png (6.94 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
-
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

Frank_Oostendorp wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:49 am It's one click to switch them on or off, if you create a menu for it. Quick on and off visibility for origins, curves, axis, temporary axis, etc. Has been available for multiple years. ;)
Isn't this the same menu as this..?
View Temp Axes.png
When I turn this on... I get this..
View Temp Axes2.png
It displays every cylindrical axis in the model..

However, having it turned off, does not prohibit the SW from pausing to create the axis whenever I hover for a fraction of a second on any cylindrical or conical face. It is a new behaviour that I do not desire/require. Nor can I seem to turn it off.
I was only asking if it was possible to disable it entirely.
(It turns out this was a "feature" that was thrust upon me and I've no way to turn it off.
And now, a disabling functionality has been implemented in a SP that I cannot have, my VAR will not give it to me because Solidworks says..,
"No SP for Damo unless he goes back on subscription.. and pays 6months backdating. And he better do it before Jan 2023 or there will only be 4 year subs available..!!? But this is quite likely a very different discussion.. I really hate all these people... :shock: )
Frank_Oostendorp

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

Damo wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:38 pm "No SP for Damo unless he goes back on subscription.. and pays 6months backdating. And he better do it before Jan 2023 or there will only be 4 year subs available..!!? But this is quite likely a very different discussion.. I really hate all these people... :shock: )
Don't waste your energy on these people.
All I wanted to make clear, that all elements of reference, like temporary axes, planes, origins etc. already had a way to switch the visibility on and of. The new feature of automatic showing temporary axes will be expanded with automatic showing origins, planes, sketches, grid etc. until it becomes un-usable. ;;
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Welcome to the world of SW roulette. Upgrade at your own risk. What is broken in the new version may be worse than what is broken in the version you are using.

You've probably learned this lesson the hard way; I would not upgrade past whatever SP5 is available to me. When I went off subscription in 2021, I didn't upgrade past 2020 Sp5.
-
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

SPerman wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:06 pm Welcome to the world of SW roulette. Upgrade at your own risk. What is broken in the new version may be worse than what is broken in the version you are using.

You've probably learned this lesson the hard way; I would not upgrade past whatever SP5 is available to me. When I went off subscription in 2021, I didn't upgrade past 2020 Sp5.
yes. and good timing too.. 2021 was a horrorshow for me..
Most unstable version I ever used. o[
I almost gave up completely and quit the entire industry.
I went to 2022 in sheer desperation. My faith was somewhat restored.