Structure System

Arthur McR
Answers: 0

Structure System

Unread post by Arthur McR »

So Structure System is something that Solidworks introduced for 2019. It will not work in conjunction with Weldments, so a XOR situation. Our Processing Manager is a big fan of Tekla and how it sorts and creates members or bodies. Has anyone here used both systems so that I can understand if there are any differences and what those differences are. I've been a Solidworks Weldments user since 2015 so I'm trying to understand the differences between the systems and such.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Re: Structure System

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

One is usable and one is not. LOL
Weldment if you need real world design with proper and exact location of parts.
Structure System if you're an artist. Throw anything together and let someone else figure how to build it.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I wish I could help with a comparison, but while I use multi-body parts in almost every project I haven't tried Structure Systems. Weldments work well for my needs, and I never felt the need to try out the new bells and whistles with questionable value.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Given DSS' track record, I expect them to sunset Weldments, while at the same time doing nothing to improve the shortcomings of structured systems.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:51 am I wish I could help with a comparison, but while I use multi-body parts in almost every project I haven't tried Structure Systems. Weldments work well for my needs, and I never felt the need to try out the new bells and whistles with questionable value.
This line is worth highlighting IMO.
While I'm happy for those who work in a "no strings attached" environment where they can try all sorts of new tools, features and methods on actual production files without being haunted by them for decades; my job keeps me in the land of extreme caution of new tools, features and methods. It is unfortunate we're all left to stumble through the quagmire of new feature behavior with little to no insight from the pros development team, only hype and half-truths from marketing. This is why the user groups sharing their experience in their own use case is so important.

edit 20221214-1539: By pros I was thinking development, not to imply that there aren't a lot of user "pros" here in the forum.
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Unread post by mp3-250 »

never tried structure system, but weldment is broken as hell, at least for us with legacy data back to 2014 created with 2011 templates...
the concept is nice, but when your cutlists blows up for apparently no reason, when SW decide to change a legacy variable name Instead of its label, when a unknown material pops up after a part rebuild, when you lock the cutlist id number and new members got stuck with the same id number... 100 item cutlists are not funny anymore