Import SW file as sheet metal

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
Ronan1961
Answers: 0

Import SW file as sheet metal

Unread post by Ronan1961 »

I imported many SW (2021) files as sheet metal. Saved them as .psm. However I cannot figure out how to make the part behave as sheet metal. I can create a flat pattern and alter it's thickness but that does not reflect in the folded model. Short of dimensioning all flanges individually, which would not be acceptable. I don't see what to do. I came actoss thickness chain in the help but it is not showing up for me. Should I use synchronous or Ordered. Basically all the model were done years ago so the basic geometry is there. I need to refine many of the thicknesses and flange lengths though. I have attached an SW part as I am using the community version.
image.png
Attachments
06h Angle Girder 9c.SLDPRT
(151.19 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Ronan1961

Re: Import SW file as sheet metal

Ahh. I found Matts video on importing sheet metal parts.
I now j need to know how to alter the thickness.
Pernils
Answers: 1

Unread post by Pernils »

Material thickness for sheetmetal is one of the mysterious thing that I always wonder why they have kept it so hidden.

Anyway ..

Tools -> Variables -> Material thickness..
image.png
Ronan1961

I had tried that before I watched the video but nothing happened. That makes it simple. Do you know how to setup a sheet metal bend table? Or where I look for one I can modify? I have a range of thicknesses in SWG terms 34, 27, 26, 24, 23, 22, 21,and 18. In general I would use R = t.
Now experimenting I noticed something about Synchronous> I tried a big radius and then went back to a small radius. A lot disappeared. I guess this is all part of learning the tool.
image.png
image.png (13.98 KiB) Viewed 853 times
image.png
image.png
Pernils
Answers: 1

Unread post by Pernils »

As sync is history free modelling workflow like blender, zbrush and others you are forced to either undo or to fix it.

In SE you don't have bending table based on what sheetmetal thickness you are working with. Are you sure that SW has this ?

Throw something together over the topic ..

Ronan

Unread post by Ronan »

Sorry. I meant Gauge table. Found this in this forum. I'll check it out tonight. viewtopic.php?t=633
Ideas are simple, once you've thought of them
KennyG
Answers: 7

Unread post by KennyG »

Ronan1961 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:52 pm Ahh. I found Matts video on importing sheet metal parts.
I now j need to know how to alter the thickness.
Thickness is typically set by changing the Material assigned in the PathFinder node. There is a Gage Properties tab.
image.png
Ronan1961

KennyG wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:21 am Thickness is typically set by changing the Material assigned in the PathFinder node. There is a Gage Properties tab.

image.png
That's great. Really make things quite straight forward. >< Thank you.