What is best way to model these sheet metal parts?

GTR84
Answers: 0

What is best way to model these sheet metal parts?

Unread post by GTR84 »

I need to model a series of sheet metal panels and put them in an assembly with a 15mm gap between each one. There are approx 50 of these panels in a row which have a 1 degree slope on the top edge which makes each panel unique in size. The sheet metal panels have flanges on each side. I know I could model one panel, create 50 configurations and then mate these into an assembly, but is there a smarter more efficient way to do this task?

see attached images for reference,

Thanks alot
Attachments
sm3.png
sm2.png
sm1.png
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Re: What is best way to model these sheet metal parts?

Unread post by gupta9665 »

Create a master sketch with the panels. Drop the master sketch into a new part and build one panel using the master sketch lines as reference. Once finished, copy as new file/number. Edit the panel the second panel and move the sketch line references. Repeat. Once ready simply drop all panels into the assembly in on go and they will be positioned corrected (with fixed mate)

Second option, create a master part with all panels sketches and add to assembly. You can also do the layout sketch in the assembly itself. Create one panel with approx. size (leave the sketch unconstrained). Insert into the assembly (make sure you set the panel to fixed position such that part and assembly origin coincide), edit the sketch of the panel and constrain using the master sketch or layout sketch. Repeat.

I have done several of such panels and both the methods have been effective.
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
GTR84

Unread post by GTR84 »

Thanks alot Deepak for your help, I will try thise options and see which is most suitable
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Combine both, config and Master Sketch.
MasterSketch-01.jpg
Layout the full width.
Add vertical lines for location of each panel.
The extra 1" line is to make sure dimension won't flip when it goes to 0.
Use "d9" to drive each panel in config. The sketch will move along and give you exact height.
Constrain The panel to the reference lines on top and bottom.

You can also sketch all the panels and extrude the one you need in each config.
picturedrawerGSS

Unread post by picturedrawerGSS »

So I'm pretty late to the party but I really couldn't resist, you could do this with a design table/formula/assembly pattern.
Kinda bummed I don't know how to post pictures. Haven't looked into the process.

I've attached a sample, in the zip are the pictures.

Sorry this became a pretty disappointing post, is there a FAQ post that explains the picture URL and website thing in some more detail than in FAQ?
Attachments
panel.zip
panel docs
(337.36 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

picturedrawerGSS wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:26 pm Kinda bummed I don't know how to post pictures. Haven't looked into the process.
Upload the picture like you have uploaded the zip file. And then you will option to put the image inline. Click on that and the picture will be added below/above the description text.
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger