Does anyone actually use SustainabilityXpress?

mike miller
Answers: 7

Does anyone actually use SustainabilityXpress?

Unread post by mike miller »

To quote Jerry Seinfeld, is this anything? Seriously, this is how our tax dollars R&D dollars are spent?

Good for Dassault. Slow clap for providing a stunning solution in search of a problem. <()>

2021-04-14 20_28_48.jpg
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
zxys001
Answers: 4

Re: Does anyone actually use SustainabilityXpress?

Unread post by zxys001 »

mike miller wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:31 pm To quote Jerry Seinfeld, is this anything? Seriously, this is how our tax dollars R&D dollars are spent?

Good for Dassault. Slow clap for providing a stunning solution in search of a problem. <()>

2021-04-14 20_28_48.jpg
..no.. but I want to learn UU
Attachments
ssi 1.png
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Uncle_Hairball
Answers: 2

Unread post by Uncle_Hairball »

I think the lack of responses says it all.
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Well, nobody's using it because it's not on the platform...Once they rebrand it as 3DSUSTAINABLITYXPRESS and move it to the platform, I'm sure it'll take off...
Tom G
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tom G »

This would be an acceptable tool for large scale manufacturing. It has no applicability to one-off designs, IMHO. All I make are one-off products. This fundamentally affects how everything is handled at every business stage, including design and documentation.

Mostly, I believe that the inclusion of this tool allows for idealistic & optimistic marketing of the whole package, towards decision makers who are thereby mollified that they aren't destroying and polluting the world. Broadly, those decision makers are not the Users. That is, regardless of usefulness, it is a sales hype panacea. It also promotes the corporation into the same idealistic stratosphere where they are respected and included in guidance of emerging energy tech trends. See also, any tech media story including Dassault and Environmentalism. Again, useful is not the point.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Change Solidworks logo to blue and green .....
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

mike miller wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:31 pm To quote Jerry Seinfeld, is this anything? Seriously, this is how our tax dollars R&D dollars are spent?

2021-04-14 20_28_48.jpg
I just played with it and I don't really think it gives you much more information than what you can fairly easily discern from the manufacturing cost. Money, in very broad terms, equal fossil fuel. The more something costs the more pollution it has probably created. So if you're designing the best product you can for the lowest cost you're probably already doing 75% of what that software is doing.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

Tom G wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:17 pm This would be an acceptable tool for large scale manufacturing. It has no applicability to one-off designs, IMHO. All I make are one-off products. This fundamentally affects how everything is handled at every business stage, including design and documentation.

Mostly, I believe that the inclusion of this tool allows for idealistic & optimistic marketing of the whole package, towards decision makers who are thereby mollified that they aren't destroying and polluting the world. Broadly, those decision makers are not the Users. That is, regardless of usefulness, it is a sales hype panacea. It also promotes the corporation into the same idealistic stratosphere where they are respected and included in guidance of emerging energy tech trends. See also, any tech media story including Dassault and Environmentalism. Again, useful is not the point.
I can see a tool like this being used if indeed you where making alot of something either by volume or qty. But yes, I think you're right not for one offs and not for most of what people design.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Problem with environmental impact calculation is have far can you go?
To get 1000 lb of steel.
1) we need a mine
2) we need equipment to build the mine
3) equipment need steel and other material
4) add human which need food, water and air
5) keep counting this infinite loops of infinite loops
Peter De Vlieger
Answers: 0

Unread post by Peter De Vlieger »

The original forum was quick to put a special sub category up for Sustainability.

I myself pointed out that after a few years there were barely any posts in there so that one either had to conclude that it was working magnificently without a hitch (ROFLMAO) or that just nobody could be bothered with actually using it because it was either overkill for what someone wanted or not detailed enough.
My guess is that except for some courses in college it won't see any usage.