How to show "locally cached version" as a column in the Contains tab?

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
bnemec
Answers: 10

How to show "locally cached version" as a column in the Contains tab?

Unread post by bnemec »

The "Version" column shows the referenced version, is there a way to add a column to show which version I have in local cache? This would be a bit like what is shown in Solidworks PDM Add-in.
by AlexB » Wed May 05, 2021 1:45 pm
The local PDM installation on your machine is able to keep track of the CurrentVersion(highest version number in the database) as well as the LocalVersionNo(cached version no). The API makes these readily available through the IEdmFile objects, which is essentially what the PDM add-in is using to get all of its information, however I don't believe there's a way to configure the Contains tab to do what you're looking for.
Go to full post
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: How to show "locally cached version" as a column in the Contains tab?

Unread post by jcapriotti »

I don't believe so, this info is pulling from the database, it doesn't update until check-in. IIRC, a new assembly shows nothing there.
Jason
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:19 pm I don't believe so, this info is pulling from the database, it doesn't update until check-in. IIRC, a new assembly shows nothing there.
That's confusing, the client needs the database to tell it which version it has in local cache? I know the DB tracks the user, machine name and vault that a file is checked out from, I didn't realize it tracks the local versions cached on each machine. Actually, that could be useful to look at sometimes. You happen to know the table(s) that track that?
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

The DB doesn't know which versions of a file that different clients might have in their local cache. I'm guessing the software is reading the file date attribute that every file has and compares to the DB stored version dates to tell which version is cached. Also, possible its caching it somewhere local but I don't know where.
Jason
AlexB
Answers: 24

Unread post by AlexB »

The local PDM installation on your machine is able to keep track of the CurrentVersion(highest version number in the database) as well as the LocalVersionNo(cached version no). The API makes these readily available through the IEdmFile objects, which is essentially what the PDM add-in is using to get all of its information, however I don't believe there's a way to configure the Contains tab to do what you're looking for.