Solidworks takes a lot of RAM when saving

lilbat
Answers: 0

Solidworks takes a lot of RAM when saving

Unread post by lilbat »

I wanted to save a static simulation, i hit Ctrl+S and SW freeze (the usual stuff). But when i looked on how much RAM SW was using, it just keept going up until i hit 99% of RAM usage (i have a total of 32GB of RAM). At that point i decided to terminate SW.

I should add that i've already save a simulation very similar to that one : Only the external loads had a different value. I should also add that SW did some crazy things since the beginning of the week. I wanted to do a pack & go, but the same story happened, SW took all the RAM so i add to terminate it. Since then SW (at least in simulation) is going crazy with RAM. I'm no informatic engineer but it seems like he never gives up RAM unless i terminate him or close him.

Overall performances in simulations are also worst.

Hopefully you can help me out.

I'm on SW 2019
SPerman
Answers: 13

Re: Solidworks takes a lot of RAM when saving

Unread post by SPerman »

https://www.cadforum.net/viewtopic.php? ... mory#p6168

2019 was a low point for SW, in mine (and others) opinion. Upgrading to 2020 MIGHT help, but more than likely it's just a SW thing.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
lilbat

Unread post by lilbat »

SPerman wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:05 pm https://www.cadforum.net/viewtopic.php? ... mory#p6168

2019 was a low point for SW, in mine (and others) opinion. Upgrading to 2020 MIGHT help, but more than likely it's just a SW thing.
Thank you for the reply. Sadly, upgrading to 2020 is probably not on the plans since i'm the only one making FEA analysis in this company.

I've increased virtual memory on the workstation and it seems like SW can now save. But it still takes way more RAM than what he used to take. Due to this issue, we're in a bad situation. I have one colleague that does simulations on the same workstation but on a different software. We cannot run simulations at the same time anymore or his simulation will crash...
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Is Solidworks really using RAM?
SW keep complaining low memory but it doesn't mean it run out of RAM.
https://www.cadforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=450
lilbat

Unread post by lilbat »

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:25 am Is Solidworks really using RAM?
SW keep complaining low memory but it doesn't mean it run out of RAM.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=450
Indeed, i've increased virtual memory and it allows me to save. But my biggest issue is that SW is taking more memory than what it used to take.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

From the look of it, SW requested lots of memory. Not sure it actually used it. Probably not because all 50GB was in pagefile. Only about 3GB is in RAM.