Why does flattening stand upright on some sheet metals?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Ömür Tokman
Answers: 1

Unread post by Ömür Tokman »

Hi all,
Even though I draw the part horizontally, the flattening is perpendicular to the page.
Is there something I don't know? By what criteria does Sw choose vertical or horizontal?
2021-05-28_11-49-16.png
Everything is normal for this drawing.
2021-05-28_11-52-46.png
another example is horizontal straightening a part that needs vertical straightening.
2021-05-28_12-10-54.png
You ˹alone˺ we worship and You ˹alone˺ we ask for help.
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Why does flattening stand upright on some sheet metals?

Unread post by matt »

The face that you selected with the dot on it is the one that stays stationary as the rest of the part moves. You can change that so that things look more normal.
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

From the Knowledge Base:

S-02232 : Why is the Flat-pattern drawing view for a sheet metal part not in the desired orientation?

Answer:
When SolidWorks generates a Flat-pattern view it shows the part in the Flat-pattern configuration. To determine the orientation of the model, SolidWorks uses its "Normal to" calculation.
To see the the orientation of the flat-pattern drawing view in the part file:
1. open the part file
2. edit the Flat-pattern feature and select the "fixed face" in the Parameters tab
3. select the view Normal To

In case this automatic solution doesn't give the desired orientation the following workaround can be used:
1. insert a Flat- pattern drawing view in the drawing and delete it (this will generate the derived configuration in the part showing the model in the Flat pattern state).
2. insert a new drawing view selecting the desired orientation
3. right click the drawing view and select Properties
4. choose the Flat-pattern derived configuration in the Configuration information tab.
Ömür Tokman

matt wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:32 am The face that you selected with the dot on it is the one that stays stationary as the rest of the part moves. You can change that so that things look more normal.
I will try this.
Ömür Tokman

JSculley wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:37 am From the Knowledge Base:

S-02232 : Why is the Flat-pattern drawing view for a sheet metal part not in the desired orientation?

I apologize, I do not fully understand this method. Do you have a screen shot? (my bad english)

Answer:
When SolidWorks generates a Flat-pattern view it shows the part in the Flat-pattern configuration. To determine the orientation of the model, SolidWorks uses its "Normal to" calculation.
To see the the orientation of the flat-pattern drawing view in the part file:
1. open the part file
2. edit the Flat-pattern feature and select the "fixed face" in the Parameters tab
3. select the view Normal To

this part is the method I'm applying now.

In case this automatic solution doesn't give the desired orientation the following workaround can be used:
1. insert a Flat- pattern drawing view in the drawing and delete it (this will generate the derived configuration in the part showing the model in the Flat pattern state).
2. insert a new drawing view selecting the desired orientation
3. right click the drawing view and select Properties
4. choose the Flat-pattern derived configuration in the Configuration information tab.