SolidWorks PCB and Connector to be discontinued!! 2023

Craig Makarowski
Answers: 0

SolidWorks PCB and Connector to be discontinued!! 2023

Unread post by Craig Makarowski »

Well I'm not happy as SolidWorks just announced that they and Altium are discontinuing this Tool/add in. We here at Dycor have been using both tools even more and to have this happen is disheartening to say the least. Which means our collabration between PCB design and MCad design will be more work and prone to more errors in the process. They talk about the 3DS stuff but nowhere on the SW sites can i find any additional information. My guess is they don't see this as a profitable venture anymore, and here i thought that the integration of Electronics and Cad would be improving! what a step back!

hhhh hhhh o[ grumph
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Re: SolidWorks PCB and Connector to be discontinued!! 2023

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Craig Makarowski wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:01 pm Well I'm not happy as SolidWorks just announced that they and Altium are discontinuing this Tool/add in. We here at Dycor have been using both tools even more and to have this happen is disheartening to say the least. Which means our collabration between PCB design and MCad design will be more work and prone to more errors in the process. They talk about the 3DS stuff but nowhere on the SW sites can i find any additional information. My guess is they don't see this as a profitable venture anymore, and here i thought that the integration of Electronics and Cad would be improving! what a step back!
Maybe they are replacing it with this CoDesigner product?

https://www.altium.com/documentation/al ... solidworks
Jason
Craig Makarowski
Answers: 0

Unread post by Craig Makarowski »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:24 pm Maybe they are replacing it with this CoDesigner product?

https://www.altium.com/documentation/al ... solidworks
Yes it looks like Altium is has this under their Altium 365 Cloud service but you have to buy into the Pro version for this which gets you the equivalent of 365 Pro is essentially a cloud-hosted version of Concord Pro.

so you get the Co designer and the Revision Version control as well, the good thing is though you pay about a $1000 usd to Altium there are no licensing fee from SolidWorks because Altium supplies the Add in for SolidWorks side. I ended up talking to the Altium people yesterday about this, now we have to convince the workers here and the Management to spend more ugh!!